Railway Glossary

Posted
Rating:
#191970 (In Topic #10716)
Hello everybody,

I've just read an article about constructing a coach in Model Railway Journal. And again I came to the limits of my English knowledge as I couldn't find the term "cantrail" (from the text I asume something below the footplate) in any of my dictionaries.

I wonder if anybody knows of a glossary of railway terms somewhere on the web? I've  tried google but couldn't find anything of any use.

Thanks and regards

Helmut
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Dachlängsträger

Cantrail: It is the metal channel at the top of the coach side where the roof fits. Often thought of as the rain strip or gutter.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
That's just what I was going to say!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Helmut,

Try here…

http://www.railway-technical.com/newglos.shtml

It even includes cant rail (their spelling).

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Ah yes Terry - but I'll bet it's not in German so, if it's not in the dictionary, he'll be none the wiser………….:mutley:mutley:mutley:cheers

We obviously need Bittern along - how did you know that Bittern ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I googled it. German is a funny language where some words are made up of others so by breaking the word down into its separate components and using a German dictionary you can get a good guess at it. In my younger days I worked as a Service Engineer for Siemens so had to have a working knowledge of technical German anyway.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Bittern,

Sounds like an interesting career you've had. Siemens are into everything these days. Traffic lights, trams, trains all sorts.

Danke schon.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
'vorsprung durch technik'

Used to drive my late father mad trying to get an exact translations.

He had a Siemens pc at work which programmed memory chips for installation into the control equipment for the bottling lines.

Good luck with the coach build Helmut.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
'vorsprung durch technik'

I read a couple of months ago that the worst make of vehicle for breakdowns in the UK is BMW! :lol:

Terry

Posted
Rating:
And BMW make Rolls Royce cars ..........................:roll::roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
"Cant rail" is actually correct.  It is a rail at the top edge of the body side panels.  It has become merged into "cantrail" over the years just as has "Tumble home" which is usually rendered as "tumblehome" and refers t the inward curvature of body panels at their lower edges - usually where they fit to the frames (or chassis if road vehicles are under discussion).

While one might or might not be able to argue a case based upon computer literacy (computers are only as literate as we make them) the word "cantrail" attracts a red wavy line suggesting it is an error and on this site at least it suggests "contrail" is what is meant.

Rick
Layouts here and here
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.