Unusual stone cottages

Posted
Rating:
#185588 (In Topic #10432)

Purbeck stone in Corfe Castle village

This little terrace has intrigued me for many years; I'm contemplating a model in N gauge, I've got some stone plasticard and painted it fairly near correct. I doubt the model will be anywhere near 100% accurate , I just hope it can be close enough to be recognised by anybody that knows the original.

Might be an interesting challenge, anybody fancy a go? Marty,  Gormo?

I've often wondered what the inside is like, and why the external steps, is the upper floor a separate dwelling or is it instead of an internal staircase? (bit chilly going to bed on a cold winters night!) Is it 4 or more dwelings? Has a door been blocked in between the windows and downpipe  left of centre?

Left hand end has a window for upper floor, but is that another window or a door below? The number of chimneys suggests 6 rooms with fires, unless there are more chimneys on the rear.

Note the way the gutter passes across the upstairs windows; the roof looks like it will need some fiddly work, alternate rows being wide, narrow wide narrow, plus it's not slate nor concrete, it's more Purbeck stone!

I had a rough go at sizing things, if one assumes the doors about 6'6"', then the height to the eaves is about 13' 6", difficult to get accurate figures with it not being square to the camera.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Managed to get a square on image on Google street view.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6360351,-2.0546625,3a,75y,62.71h,91.02t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXz8H3E4d8VKO1euSJdFtOg!2e0

There are 18 courses of brick on the centre chimney, what would that be in terms of height in feet?

If you follow the lane at the right it leads to a playing field with the Swanage railway running alongside.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
I wouldn't bank on that door being 6ft 6ins Mike - old cottages had very low doors because people weren't as tall in those days.

I'd guess the top floor is one house - maybe 2 if there's another door round the back.  Ground floor seems to be at least 2 houses.  If you look at your Google image of the front, there's a door catch on each of the double panels either side of the external steps - the left hand one even has a sign in the window reading "No 2, Jubilee House"  The stone block inscription on the right hand end, which I can't see too well, either says "Jubilee House Nos 1 & 2" or "Jubilee House, 1622 (or 1822)"  I think they're older than 1822………..

An interesting model to attempt - one for Dooferdog maybe …………………:roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sorted, in a way, originally Alms houses dated 1677, so that panel must read 1677 not 1622 Peter.

Jubilee House, Corfe Castle, Dorset

Cheers MIKE
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.