Stu's Boxfile Layout

Posted
Rating:

(This is just my size)

Even at this early stage,this is looking really promising! I sense a Classic in the making!

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ha-ha !! :Happy

I have managed to successfully proved my theory of how to articulate and power the wagon turntable.

I cut a rough 7cm circle of  Ian M's 3mm foamboard. In the middle, I cut a small square hole and push-fitted the top part of a small Lego rotating plate ( swiped from No 2 sons' Lego pile -  I had to root through three large crates to find it !). Setting the base of the rotating plate into a sqaure hole in another piece of foamboard allows the top, circular piece to rotate with minimum friction, but enough to prevent free turning.

A bicycle spoke was then attached to top plate, to provide manual power and control.

As this was a rough mock-up, I will be re-making this at home late, using proper tools and will then post some photos. The rails will be added direct to the top plate, spaced correctly and the rest of the plate will be covered in planking - either coffee stirrers or matches or similar.

But it's going to work :cheers .

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Well, to prove the turntable does work, here is a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDCmJrAr4As

It also shows the coupling hook being raised, before the wagon is turned. This is done by moving a magnet under the turntable, which would happen once the loco has pushed the wagon into place.

Stu

Last edit: by Stubby47

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs Cool!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:doublethumb  Excellent!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Isn't it great when a plan comes together!

Wayne

Last edit: by Wayne Williams

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the comments.

The next job will be to finish the ground works around the table, so I can add the track. I've found that I can use the Ratio / Wills window arches as a circle of edging stones. The table will have scribed styrene as a wood effect - not sure yet whether to add the other tracks at 90 deg - did tables always have crossed tracks on them ?

Of course, progress depend on what other domestic duties are conjured up for me…

Stu

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Stu, photos I have seen, show 4 rails  with 2 at 90 degrees

Wagon turntable

Wagon turntable

I Googled  "wagon Turntable" then selected Images
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol, thanks, that's a great photo for detail.

I probably will add the other tracks, but they will have to be non-working ones, as I've stuck the first pair down with no breaks in for the crossing.
Unless I use the dremel….

Cheers
Stu

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Stu, all those I have seen either 'live' or in photo's have had the cross tracks, saves moving the table (again) when the next wagon either needs turning or a 'train' is running along the 'main' line, cosmetic will be OK though in the box file…..
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Sandy, I thought that would be the case. If the table had built built to rotate 360° deg I'd not have asked, but it has a limited turn of only 90°.

Posted
Rating:
Excellent :thumbs

Phill

Posted
Rating:
A bit more prpgress has seen the addition of some ground cover, in the form of a large piece of Slaters plasticard.

The white edge stones are simple card punches.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looks just the job Stu. :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Splashed a bit of paint around yesterday, plus made a start on the front wall of the loading bay warehouse. I still need to complete the turntable, I've got one of the non-working rail pieces on, the rest need to be cut to size then pva'd down.

I'm not sure whether to use coffee stirrers as the wood base - they work out at a scale 1'3" wide, which I think is too wide. Another option is to use embossed plasticard, but this is to thin and will need packing up first. 

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
I'm not sure whether to use coffee stirrers as the wood base - they work out at a scale 1'3" wide, which I think is too wide.
You could always scribe a line down the middle making each one two planks.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
D'oh! Why didn't I think of that…….
Thanks Ian.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Stu,   what's the origin of the brick (paper?) on '.. the front wall of the loading bay warehouse. ..'
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Sandy, it's Scalescene's TX06 Aged Red Brick. The quoins are from one of the various stone sheets.

Posted
Rating:
Some more progress on the boxfile layout.

Box 2 is now coming along nicely. I've added the main building for the wagons off the turntable to be processed, with the rudiments of the roof and second floor added as well. This bit, of course, will be removeable.

I've also managed to source a suitable rod for the point control - the original wire in tube was fine for the older dead-frog point, but failed to move the new live frog variety, so something had to change.

Apologies for the odd background in these photos…

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.