00 Gauge - 53D Bridlington

Posted
Rating:

Steamy summers day in the late 50's

Thanks for that Ron, I think I've found something similar in the UK @ Models-R-Go - 'EZ Line' which they describe as a rigging thread.

It's also described as 'Fine (0.075mm) black elastic polymer on a 100' spool.

I was wondering whether I could try to attach continuous lengths along the run of poles or would you recommend attaching a separate piece between each telegraph pole?

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Irun the line in long lengths over the poles then a dab of glue to hold it in place,don`t forget the wires are not taught they sag, hope this helps
:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
Ooh yes… Long runs as per the above. Getting the sag into the individual pieces would be tough, let alone driving you nuts putting it on section by section. More than double the work!

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Awesome modelling Merv,and the photography is well up there with the best too! Its a real credit to you mate,and its going to be a legendary layout…I particularly love your engine shed,the attention to detail is top notch.

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the advice guys…it was still quite fiddly but I think the end results are worth it and 'EZ line' certainly makes it easier, though it's a tad expensive but I think that's because it's imported. Here's a couple of pics: -

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant stuff mate.

John.

Posted
Rating:
Spot on in those photos Merv.

What glue did you use?

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Marty - a tiny dab of 'Glue 'n Glaze' - it's brilliant stuff and a good alternative to superglue for some jobs.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Had to look twice to make sure the first picture was actually a model.

Certainly add to the scene :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Back into modelling after over a year's lapse (bereavements, holidays, DIY….etc..life goes on eh!)
So apologies to anyone following my marathon build - below is the result of my first excursion into signalling, starting off easy with a couple of ground signals - please excuse the bad focusing.

Now to the main exercise and here is a list of signalling I will need for both North and South ends of the project:-

You will see from this that I've got a fair mixture of styles that were still present in my modelling period of 1957-62.

Here is the current state of the bench after a mammoth order of bits - plus a close-up of my first attempt at a jig for the tubular and square type signals. I have positioned post, spindle tube and spindle before cutting to length just to give an idea of where parts will be positioned.

Posted
Rating:
Not a lot of progress with it being the season of festivities but here's a couple of pics showing my first attempt at signal arms and the 4 tubular post signals (2 heights) - I must try to improve the paint finish!

Posted
Rating:
Welcome back Merv.
Life does get in the way sometimes but there are no guarantees I suppose.
Will be following with interest your posts on signalling even though I know very little about the subject.
Never to late to learn I suppose.

Tony.

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
I don,t think you need to do anything different with the paint finish Merv, these look like they have been out in the weather which adds to the realism and that,s how I remember the signals.

John.

Posted
Rating:
Like you Tony, I didn't know much about signalling before I tried these so I've had a very steep learning curve!
I never realised there were so many fiddly bits and pieces - respect to those that make them in N gauge.

Ever the diplomat John, but it's not quite the 'weathering effect' I had in mind - kind of you to say though!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Those who know me will attest that diplomacy is one quality where I'm not strong, Merv.   :lol:

I agree with John about the weathering.

They look like they will actually work.  Is that right?

Posted
Rating:
All part of the deception Max - they would have worked but at the last minute I used superglue in desperation to attach the 0.3mm wires. I made a short 90 degree bend (hook) to attach them but found it almost impossible to bend the wire back any further once attached without causing damage to the parts. I found just leaving them with the 90 degree hook was not secure enough as they would pop out when operated so any advice before I continue with the next batch would be gratefully received.

In reality they would only ever have been hand operated and then very rarely, mainly for photo opportunites.

Posted
Rating:
Another busy year has slowed progress on signalling building so I thought re-numbering and weathering of my Sentinel would take a lot less time - this Y1 number was actually allocated to Brid from approx 1955-57. just needs a bit of real coal adding plus lamps. I also took the opportunity to fit a DCC chip at the same time - quite a challenge in such a small space!

Posted
Rating:
Looking good mate.
See you next month.

John.

Posted
Rating:
Be great to see you both John 'down under' - be in touch when we get to Brisbane before the drive up to Amamoor - or should that be 'down' in railway parlance!!

Posted
Rating:
Nay lad it,s " up ".

John.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.