Playing Dirty

Posted
Rating:

Rick's adventures on the weathering bench

[user=1753]Gwiwer[/user] wrote:
An "old hand" and a new arrival have been recent recipients of Fox etched nameplates (and other bits) and have had some dirt added.

Firstly Bachmann's 47079 in GWR150 commemorative livery models its newly-fitted brassware and has gained a little road dirt.  The plates in this pack were, unusually, not perfectly flat and despite my best attempts have not gone on completely flush.  The subtle curve to the cab-side doesn't help with the number plate either.  

The supplied crest is in plain brass but photos show the loco carried a coloured one.  I sourced the exact item by purchasing another Fox pack, that for "First Great Western 57604" which includes the appropriate Pendents Castle name- and number plates for this loco which I also own.  These are however supplied in GWR150 style brass and not in the BR house style which is appropriate for the Heljan model.  Therefore the name and number plates are of no use to me but the crests have been used on 47079.  I found it a little odd that one pack had plain and the other full colour crests when both are for GWR150-livery locos.  Ah well.

The other loco is a recently arrived second-hand purchase of Hornby 50004 in large-logo blue livery.  This matches 50035 already in the fleet and means that of my five class 50s four have been second-hand purchases which is most unusual for me.  

This loco has had a driver fitted (as opposed to the Bachmann 47 which as usual for that manufacturer has one supplied) along with its nameplates and crests.  The weathering has been applied to represent the appalling condition many of these locos could often be seen in and includes white streaking.  The yellow paintwork is chipped at a couple of spots and made good at one (not in shot) but as that perhaps adds to rather than detracts from the overall appearance I have left it as found.

That's lovely work Rick.
I've been tracking this thread & you've produced some lovely weathering :thumbs
Everything looks so natural, track,scenery & of course the rolling stock.

Tony.

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
I've almost given up trying to stick to a specific company/region and time period, finding it too restrictive.

Just seen a nice Warship on a Liverpool shop website :roll:

Ed

Go on Ed.
You know you want to.
Resistance is futile
:It's a no no

Tony.

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Just remember, Mr. Ohm, that resistance is futile ;-)

And in other news while tidying up some shelves in the workroom which will clear space for a Southern Electric scene and found a 2Hal unit which hasn't been weathered yet.  Watch this space …..

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
That's lovely work Rick.
I've been tracking this thread & you've produced some lovely weathering :thumbs
Everything looks so natural, track,scenery & of course the rolling stock.

Tony.

Thank you Tony.  I try to get things looking realistic without overdoing the weathering.    The photos benefit from mostly being taken outdoors in natural (or natural and "daylight" artificial combined) light which does help with the look compared with being under artificial lighting.

Last edit: by Gwiwer

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Some recent arrivals from Hornby have included the Adams 0415 "Radial" tank and Maunsell-rebuilt ex-LSWR coaches.   These are matched with a green SR-design 4-wheel van in a representation of the Lyme Regis train which while it might not be 100% historically accurate and is on Darras not Cannington Viaduct does seem to me to portray the era I just missed in late 1950s in west Dorset / east Devon.  I am using the supplied loop couplers apart from between the LSWR coaches which would always run as a pair and are linked using the Hornby close-coupler supplied in the box as an alternative.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Not previously shown here is Hornby SR 2Hal unit 2603 which arrived some time ago.  These units carry the same rather pale and matt-finish green that Hornby uses on the 2Bil units and is not how I remember them.  In their BR days they carried a rich green usually well varnished but short of a full respray I cannot change the overall appearance.

Built for the Gillingham and Maidstone electrification schemes in Kent they migrated to Sussex halfway through their lives after the 2Hap units were delivered as part of the Kent Coast electrification scheme.

Here they ran as a common pool of units with the 2Bil type often being coupled in the same train and could be found on Sussex coastal workings out of Brighton as well as London main line stopping services.  They also appeared on Victoria - Bognor Regis "Mid-Sussex" line trains via Gatwick Airport and Littlehampton.

My unit is fitted with headcode 35 (Brighton - Littlehampton) at one end and 98 (Victoria - Crawley - Littlehampton - Bognor Regis) at the other.  98 was one of those headcodes only used in one direction; as the trains double-ran both ways on the Littlehampton branch 42 was used by up trains to avoid confusion.  Normally the trailing or intermediate ends would display a blank white plate as do all my other 2Bil and 2Hal units so this is a modelling compromise and / or a case of a forgetful driver leaving the headcode up!

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
I was admiring your 2 HAL and the ex-LSWR coaches when you posed them on my layout yesterday. I meant to get a few photos but missed my opportunity.

I think the weathering you have applied is spot on.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Jeff.

I remember the 2Hal units very well though not the LSWR stock.  I'm not that old!  Mostly the electrics were quite presentable though with footboards, roofs and underframes all covered in various kinds of grime.

Back in the day most trains would have been stripped to the panels every few years then repainted in several layers of undercoat, primer, top coat and varnish with each successive layer being rubbed back before the next went on.  

Thus was built a deep richness to the colour which shone through the varnish.  Most of the time anyway.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Another 2Hal unit has arrived.  BR blue 2677 has much darker roof panels than previous releases and the somewhat faded blue livery.  I remember a few units looking like this but most of those which lasted long enough to receive blue were quite well varnished and the blue shone through.  Headcode 1 identifies (among other possibilities) a Brighton - West Worthing local.

On the image below the effect of inking in the doorway mouldings is well shown.  Also just apparent is that the flat underside of the toilet vent mouldings is inked black rather than being left blue; in reality these were just open vent slots.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Also on the weathering bench was a class 43 N.B.L. "Warship" in for nameplate re-fixing.  The offending plate had come adrift in storage so was easily located and re-glued but that caused disturbance to the previous weathering.  With the powders rubbed back somewhat to remove signs of disturbance a new layer of grime featuring "Exmover" (cleaning fluid) streaks was added.  This is on one side and one end only; when the loco is presented the other way around the previously-shown lighter weathering is seen.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
It’s been far too long since I posted here.  The latest arrival has been a pair of Kernow MRC / Revolution Trains Cargowaggon twins. Each is a permanently-coupled pair of 4-wheelers.  There’s just a hint of the still-clean one for comparison.  These wagons got absolutely filthy in traffic so the other one may end up much dirtier than this. 

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
To further reawaken this topic here are a few more pictures of recent weathering jobs.  Starting with the waiting room for Waddlemarsh Halt which is a Bachmann resin product

Next one of the Heljan class 07 Southampton Dock shunters

Goods shed, wagon, van and even compressor weathering featured on the current Waddlemarsh layout

Finally a very light weathering applied to the Hornby "Brighton Belle" which was normally kept pretty clean and tidy but still gained a little track grime and roof dirt.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Nice work Rick, I especially like the waiting room building. 

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Subtle grunge, Looks Great Rick  :thumbs. I now need to re read this thread  :hmm
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Great weathering Rick,made me go back and re-read the whole thread!Superb stuff mate!
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
I'll be following John in ready the whole thread again Rick.  Would you believe I lay awake last night trying to remember how you did your train door frames ….. :roll:.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I'll be following John in ready the whole thread again Rick.  Would you believe I lay awake last night trying to remember how you did your train door frames ….. :roll:.
You could have asked!  I'm only a text message away  :lol:

Ink and cotton-wool bud is the usual answer.  If that doesn't work I'll try other things until something does.  

Last edit: by Gwiwer

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
It was last night Rick so I wasn't attached to any means of messaging…….

I'll try with the Indian ink - thanks for the info. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Lovely job on the Belle. To me it looks just right.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Another long pause between posts. With the exhibition circuit still closed I haven’t been doing much weathering. I have a small amount of unweathered stock which is waiting for the 2022 invitations now. I don’t have space to keep a large amount just in case. 

But I have done a few bits and pieces just to keep my hand in. Today’s victims were a quartet of tank wagons and a pair of GUV vans. The tanks have a little factory weathering but remained mostly shiny black plastic until my efforts. The van ends are shown coupled though perched on the window ledge rather than placed on the track. 

Rick
Layouts here and here
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.