Wombat Creek Tramways

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

The year is 1963 somewhere in Victoria, Australia

Like the lights Claus  :thumbs:

You've probably told us before, but what's the overall size of the layout?

Ed
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

Like the lights Claus  :thumbs:

You've probably told us before, but what's the overall size of the layout?

Ed

Hi Ed,

The layout is a L-shape approx. 2400 mm x 2100 mm

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff

That's about 7' 10" x 6' 10" in old money, it's bigger than I imagined from the pictures.

Looks really good.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
Mechanics Institute resurrected

A proper country town in Victoria will have a 'Mechanics Institute' and Wombat Creek is no difference.

wct 231021a.jpg

A 2021 visit to Lancefield provided me with the front of a very low-relief Institute (it is less 10 mm thick). Unfortunately it didn't look quite right next to the RSL building. Too massive and dominating, but it had to do until something better turned up.

wct 231021c.jpg

I recently visited Creswick and came across the Victoria Institute. Quite difficult to photograph with the sun right behind the building but worth a try.

wct 231021b.jpg

Back home the image went through Photoshop. With the colours brightened and the windows cleared a mock-up replaced the old Institute.

wct 231021d.jpg

Not quite right. It is more a free-standing building than in a row of houses. I liked the windows, though.

wct 231021e.jpg

Back to the old Mechanics Institute. This time with the windows cut out and glazed, which has 'lighted' the building. I am in fact quite satisfied with the outcome. Only issue is the missing 'urns' at the top of the wall. Not sure how I replicate them.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Control panel

wct 231026.jpg
The control panel for the Tramways is almost finished. All switches are installed but some are not connected.

The black sliding switches are for sections between tram stops. They are normally on and only used for emergency stops.

The black push buttons are at tram stops. They are normally off.

The red push buttons control the points. Some are still to be wired.

The toggle switches will control traffic lights (currently not working due to a short circuit!), street lights and interior lights. At the moment two are spare.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
If I'm reading this right Claus, the trams automatically stop at the tram stops, until you push the black push button ?

Ed

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

If I'm reading this right Claus, the trams automatically stop at the tram stops, until you push the black push button ?

Ed

You are right. The tram tracks are under a constant voltage. Between the stops the trams run without interference from me. I control the departures from the stops. So far  I can manage four trams at the same time. I might install an 'emergency' push button (constantly on) at the traffic light in front of the planned police station.

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

Sounds a bit hectic, but well done.

:mtrain:

Ed

Just a bit hectic. Occasionally I have to stop a tram between stops to avoid a collision.

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Spheres instead of urns

wct 231105b.jpg
During a recent visit to Melbourne I spotted a building adorned by spheres, so why not in Wombat Creek?

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
I have to say you're a genius at scratch building to order Claus.  That extension to the Regal Cinema is excellent and, once the drain pipe is in place over the join, I'm sure the slight colour change won't be noticed at all.

Looking at Day 1 vs today, you've done a huge amount of work, especially when one considers the highly complex buildings you've done.  Most would be happy to have come that far even with Metcalfe buildings - Scalescenes may have required an extra year or two !!!

You mentioned Redutex, or rather Jeff did - it does look ean excellent product but as you say, it's expensive.  I considered it for some of my buildings until I saw the cost (in UK).  Such a pity because it does appear to be good stuff - maybe it's expensive to make or, because it is good, the manufacturers (in Spain I believe) think they can make a killing.  Perhaps great for architects who just pass on whatever costs to the client.

Looking forward to seeing the trams running full circuit.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Petermac said

I have to say you're a genius at scratch building to order Claus.  That extension to the Regal Cinema is excellent and, once the drain pipe is in place over the join, I'm sure the slight colour change won't be noticed at all.

Looking at Day 1 vs today, you've done a huge amount of work, especially when one considers the highly complex buildings you've done.  Most would be happy to have come that far even with Metcalfe buildings - Scalescenes may have required an extra year or two !!!

You mentioned Redutex, or rather Jeff did - it does look ean excellent product but as you say, it's expensive.  I considered it for some of my buildings until I saw the cost (in UK).  Such a pity because it does appear to be good stuff - maybe it's expensive to make or, because it is good, the manufacturers (in Spain I believe) think they can make a killing.  Perhaps great for architects who just pass on whatever costs to the client.

Looking forward to seeing the trams running full circuit.

Hi Petermac,
Thank you for your kind words.
I do enjoy the construction of new buildings. In fact so much, I have had a new tram in the 'workshop' far too long.
Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
First class work with those buildings, Claus. Looking forward to seeing the tram.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Christmas is coming to Wombat Creek

wct 231202.jpg

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant - love it !

Are the track and trams "real"or CG ?  Somehow, they look superimposed……………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Petermac said

Brilliant - love it !

Are the track and trams "real"or CG ?  Somehow, they look superimposed……………
Hi Peter,

The trams are real and ready to go.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

Where's  :t07020:

:mutley

Ed
Well I could stand in myself, I guess :thumbsup1:

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
New tram shelter

wct 231215.jpg
At work I recently had an introduction to 3D printing. I thought it would be a good idea to print something useful for Wombat Creek Tramways. At thingiverse.com I came across a small shelter for a tram stop, so why not give it a go. Its architecture would fit in nicely with other shelters in Wombat Creek. Little did I know the model is a copy of a shelter from Fruens Bøge, Odense, not far from where I grow up in Denmark. The tramways closed before I was born, but the little shelter still exists at the tramway museum at Skjoldenæsholm.

The slightly out of focus photo shows the shelter before being painted. As seen it will take some of the future garden space at the terraced houses above the mine.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.