Posted
Rating:

The year is 1963 somewhere in Victoria, Australia

Neat problem solving there, Claus.
Michael
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'd have got rid of the petrol station altogether - far too expensive !!  I hear vintage champagne is cheaper now ……………. :shock:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Latest - and last - extension to Wombat Creek Tramways

With Wombat Creek Tramways in a new room it has been possible to extend the layout to its final size. The extension measures 120 x 90 cm with a further 30 cm hidden under 'Main Street' to the right. For the time being the extension will served as a workbench., but in the future the double track to the right will loop around and connect to the track(s) in front of the 'Regal'. Three points and a crossing near the front will give access to a line towards the 'Explosives Factory' at the far left corner. The 'Big Nugget Goldmine' will sit at the front left corner. A narrow gauge railway will connect the mine to the factory, a sawmill and the 'Small Nugget Goldmine' (situated somewhere under the town itself!). The railway will have its sidings and maintenance facilities near the front. The bottle a whiskey is just to 'stress test' the extension. To be sure the weight wasn't too much I took out a glass or two!

Last edit: by Claus Ellef

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:
Nice whisky extension! Thinking about adding a brewery!?

Posted
Rating:
[user=2057]TeaselBay[/user] wrote:
Nice whisky extension! Thinking about adding a brewery!?
The Wombat Creek Brewing Company (famous for its Wombat Bitter) has been around since 1854 (OK, since 2017). Here is a couple of old shots from 2018 and 2019

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
A very smart extension Claus, and I love the ideas.  I saw a video on YouTube, I am pretty sure it was by Luke Towan, and he made a model of a mine, so when you have filled up the extension, you could consider building a deep mine under the layout!
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Very nice! Wouldn’t mind some of the WB!

Posted
Rating:
Just planning for the future

The extension to Wombat Creek will serve as a workbench for a while, but it is difficult not to plan for the future tracks for both the trams and the narrow gauge tramway.

The standard gauge points (with one on order) and the crossing indicates, how the connection down to the explosives factory at the far left will be made. The crossing and the right-hand points will also connect to the tracks at the far right.

The six narrow gauge points and the two cardboard cut-outs show the general flow of the little railway serving the goldmine at the front left, the explosives factory and the the sawmill in the middle. The points are a bit 'big' for such a small enterprise, but I paid just $51 for six new electro-frog points from Ebay. The old Heljan factory will have two doors cut into the front and serve as a repair shop / shed for the railway.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Exciting. I’ve really got into narrow gauge recently too. Have you seen the track which allowed the narrow gauge and Ho to join and run together? Could be a fun addition to your tramway/narrow gauge coexistence. At least a diamond crossing so they swap over?

Posted
Rating:
Exciting. I’ve really got into narrow gauge recently too. Have you seen the track which allowed the narrow gauge and Ho to join and run together? Could be a fun addition to your tramway/narrow gauge coexistence. At least a diamond crossing so they swap over?
Hi Chris,

A standard/narrow gauge cross-over is not possible. The narrow gauge is running at a lower level allowing it to disappear under the Main Street. Instead two bridges will carry the trams over the railway.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
 I worries. While you in the planning stage I thought I’d mention them as it seemed like a good scenario for their use!

Posted
Rating:
 I worries. While you in the planning stage I thought I’d mention them as it seemed like a good scenario for their use!
I will take all the advice I can get. I plan to go 'old school' with the points. They are all close to my controls area, so I would like to change them manually. Have any of you tried to make working levers connecting to the points?

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Progress – or lack of

The last few weeks have seen little progress on the extension of Wombat Creek Tramways. The last points has arrived and the turnout towards the 'Explosives Factory Line' has been  put together. And from here work has stalled! 

The original idea was to have the gold mine in the middle, but a line-up of the points for the narrow gauge railway showed a better position in the lower left hand corner and the sawmill in the middle. However I was concerned for the delicate works of the poppet head so near the edge. Fortunately (well, sort of fortunately) there is not sufficient room for the sawmill in the middle, so it is back to the original layout again, but…

I will need to put part of the narrow gauge track down before I do the 'upper level' tracks for the trams. I had hope I could wait, but it will be too complicated to do track work under the bridges with the tram tracks. So works have stalled until I get hold of some lengths of narrow gauge track.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Waiting on resources is always a pain, but if it has given you planning and thinking time, then it isn't so bad.  It all sounds rather wonderful though, explosives, gold mines and sawmills sound like a lot of fun and super modelling.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Spot the difference

Woody's Timberyard, Wombat Creek, Victoria (photo: 19 August 2018)

Baagøe og Riber, Svendborg, Denmark (photo: 12 April 2022)

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Get a copyright claim in there Claus!

Michael

Posted
Rating:
I love it! Very inventive.
 :thumbs :thumbs

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
[user=1512]Headmaster[/user] wrote:
Get a copyright claim in there Claus!

Michael
I think a copyright claim will fail. The fence in Svendborg appeared decades before the Wombat Creek version. I just didn't have the chance to photograph it before now.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
When I tried to read where it was I was convinced you'd been on something illegal !! 

Do people actually speak that or is it just a tongue twister ?   :shock: :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
When I tried to read where it was I was convinced you'd been on something illegal !! 

Do people actually speak that or is it just a tongue twister ?   :shock: :mutley
Baagøe og Riber is the name of the company behind the fence. It is Danish.

Cheers,
Claus
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.