Wombat Creek Tramways

Posted
Rating:

The year is 1963 somewhere in Victoria, Australia

Well done, Klaus, that is a truly superb build and it has really interesting following the progress from those early beginnings Peter cleverly reminded us.  It would be a super build in itself, but as such an accurate interpretation of the real building, it really is impressive.  The only problem you have now is, how do you follow that?
Michael
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all for your kind comments.

The next build will certainly not be as elaborate and complex. What's next I don't know at the moment, since I still have fair few things to finish on the Bank.

After a lot of contemplations I have come to the conclusion, I cannot make a proper balustrade on top of the building myself. Instead I have ordered a laser-cut one from ScaleModelScenery together with other 'bits-and-bobs'. The postage to Australia wasn't too bad!

The base of the building also requires some work. Handrails for the steps and next to the steps a display window for the 'City Hatters' shop. The shop itself is in the basement. Unfortunately (or perhaps of course) in the same spot as a 'cross-beam'! Next to 'City Hatters' there is room for a well-known Melbournian hobby shop.

To finish it all off two canopies will cover the footpaths (in British English: pavements) in front of 'Myer' and the above mentioned shops. Plus I haven't decided what to do about the clock under the dome. I have thought of a working one, but perhaps it will not look right.

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:
Wombat Creek Bank and Gold Exchange - part 15

Life in Wombat Creek is pretty quiet at the moment. Recent work includes some 'underground' adventures. To make room for the basement of 'City Hatters' a crossbeam under the Bank has been moved 45 mm to the west.

The roof of the building is finished, finally. The central dome has been topped with a flagpole, which bring me to the following question:

How to model a flag?

A paper flag will look like - a paper flag on a stick!

Any ideas? Please, let me know.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Quality work, Claus!

Flag? How about good quality Sellotape (Durex?) Cut double length, fold around a black painted pin, crumple (no wind..?) and then go at it with spirit markers or enamel paint…..

Before Peter gets all schoolboy giggly, I understand that Antipodeans refer to Sellotape as 'Durex'.

That reminds me, did you hear about the newly-weds who didn't know the difference between Vaseline and putty? No?

All their windows fell out….

Tittering Douglas

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
Quality work, Claus!

Flag? How about good quality Sellotape (Durex?) Cut double length, fold around a black painted pin, crumple (no wind..?) and then go at it with spirit markers or enamel paint…..

Before Peter gets all schoolboy giggly, I understand that Antipodeans refer to Sellotape as 'Durex'.

That reminds me, did you hear about the newly-weds who didn't know the difference between Vaseline and putty? No?

All their windows fell out….

Tittering Douglas
Thank you for the idea. I will give it a try though it will be difficult to paint the Australian flag. Perhaps a combination of a paper flag and tape will do the trick. 

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Wombat Creek Bank and Gold Exchange – part 16

While waiting for the balustrades to arrive from England my attention has been on the road at the back of the bank. It will hardly be visible from a normal point of view, but I know it is there and it must look right.

The area has been raised some 15 mm above the baseboard, which has caused a small issue with Myer's display window. A few steps will connect the lower footpath to higher grounds. The surface of the road is made of fine sandpaper which looks quite real apart from the joints. Retaining walls will be built along the footpath next to Myer and in front of the vinegar factory. Why vinegar? It will give me a reason to model a famous sign (at least famous around Melbourne) of a skipping girl. Not sure how I make her skipping at night time. Neon lights in H0/00 scale are rare!

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Another pub for Wombat Creek

In real life Melbourne the intersection of Swanston Street and Flinders Street features two iconic buildings – Flinders Street Station and Young & Jackson Hotel. The station has already been resurrected in Wombat Creek as 'Wombat Creek Bank and Gold Exchange', so time has come to the hotel.

A recent five day lock-down in Victoria gave me time to make a mock-up of the hotel. With photos from the internet and some time with Photoshop I came up with a composite image of the buildings. The first version may have been true to scale but appeared too big compared to the surrounding buildings. The photo shows the second version which sits a bit better with the existing buildings. Due to space limitations the Wombat Creek version of Young & Jackson will not be an exact copy of the original but, hopefully, it will be recognisable. For the time being I have no schedule for the build. I will need to pay a visit to the original to investigate a few details – including the bar!

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
And this is why Claus would visit the bar

Chloe's Room - Young & Jackson, Melbourne, VIC

all research of course !

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Well,  to decorate the inside to the Nth, he would need to take a few pics,  scale them to 1:87 … Uh oh  too dark, in for more research…
Cheers

Trevor

Posted
Rating:
I've looked very hard but I can't quite make it out - is that a Cartier or a Timex watch she's wearing ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Just before a long weekend here in Victoria I received a packet from Scale Model Scenery. The postage was reasonable and I only had to wait five weeks.

The main reason for the order is the balustrades for the Bank, but why not get a few additional items?
The barrels will be beer kegs full of Wombat Bitter.
The signs and the cable drums belong to the Tramways (even Wombat Creek Tramways at the moment operates without over-head wires!).
The joiner Ray Knotts and the plumber Leaky will take possession of some of the workbenches.
Lastly some of the bicycles will be sold from a shop yet to be opened, probably next to City Hatters. Wombat Creek has already a store selling bicycles (among a lot of other items including radios and televisions) but some competition will lower the prices and benefit the good people of Wombat Creek.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Wombat Creek Bank and Gold Exchange – part 17

The balustrades are up. They were easy to assemble with some tight fits on top of the columns. The roof area of the Bank is finished – at least for the time being.

My focus will now be drawn to street level. The two shops to the right of the stairs have to be finished. Canopies along Main Street and The Golden Mile are also on the drawing board.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
The balustrades really finish off the bank nicely.That's a great touch for an amazing group of buildings…looking the business now Claus!!!
 :pathead
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
I agree with John - the ballustrades look excellent.  A brilliant group of buildings.  Will Messers Knott and Leaky have shops in the block or are they elsewhere ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Claus, What with John Dews Grand Hotel, your Imposing Bank and then there's Peters Viaduct ?? (Cough Cough)  It makes my little card shop fronts seem all inadequate !!  :lol:.        
Great Job  :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I agree with John - the ballustrades look excellent.  A brilliant group of buildings.  Will Messers Knott and Leaky have shops in the block or are they elsewhere ?
Ray Knott's Joinery and Oscar Leaky's Plumbing Services are well established businesses in Wombat Creek.

The joinery shop is in a building formerly a part of the Wombat Creek Brewing Company (famous for its Wombat Bitter). It is made of left-over panels of the Heljan brewery kit.

The plumber has set up shop next to the Pug Punter Hotel. Situated at the edge of the lay-out the building is rather small. It is lacking signage. I am still pondering how to 'paint' the letters onto the corrugated walls.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
And this is why Claus would visit the bar

https://www.youngandjacksons.com.au/chloe

all research of course !
Also a reply to post 129 and 130.

Did some research into the interior of Young & Jackson yesterday. Unfortunately the photo ended up like this:

I will need to go back! Next time the order will be photo followed by beer instead of the opposite!

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hmmm looks like a very shaky camera hand to me !I wonder why !!  :mutley
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Claus,
Out of interest, are you using a stud contact system? Just noticed the "proud"  what might otherwise be track nails in two photos ago!

Look forward to your interpretation of how to make sure that Chloe becomes a prominent feature on your layout.  Be a shame to tuck her away in some very obtuse corner inside the building where it cannot be seen from the street!

Cheers

Trevor

Posted
Rating:
As a fellow Melburnian, I second all the accolades for the superb modelling here. It is not exaggeration to put it alongside John Dew's Granby when it comes to superb free-form buildings, and very difficult shapes to boot. Great to see everything coming together. What I particularly like is the way it captures the essence of Melbourne while being a construct of some iconic buildings which are variously dotted around town. Very clever indeed.

SWMBO gives your Myer 5 Stars and she should know!.

Colin
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.