Scenery

Posted
Rating:
#252956 (In Topic #13896)

Backs of houses and gardens

Hi All.  Sitting here with so much to do, and no where to do it? I have been thinking, I once saw an exhibition model, online , which had a gang of men working on the P Way and showing the backs of terraced houses.But, I don’t want to stop the trains I am only interested in the houses, a typical suburban Railway scene, can anyone help me with suitable suggestions. Best wishes Kev 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kev,

How about a photographic printed backscene? Something like this with backs of houses as you mentioned: BACKSCENE Terraced Backs 401

or from Amazon at : https://www.amazon.co.uk/model-railway-backscenes/s?k=model+railway+backscenes

They are available from many, if not most on-line and actual model shops and in different styles, lengths and heights. The above is from ID and is 10' long and 15'' high and is also available at 9'' tall.

Cheers,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Thank you for your reply. I have been considering that type of scenery for sometime . But the online layout in question was more than that, with realistic back gardens . Best wishes Kev 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

I had a look at Ranelagh Bridge just outside of Paddington recently. Just google Ranelagh Bridge to get some pictures. Most terraced house or high street kit backs do not work, 2 story houses at best. Saclescenes do a 4 story high street backs kit https://scalescenes.com/product/t005a-low-relief-high-street-backs/, but it means printing it out and building it.There is usually a lot of 3D with real backs. If you want RTR rather than kits you may be out of luck, especially with low relief ones. Over here there are various offerings that require some put-it-together, for example the Walthers tenement backs kit. In HO, but close enough.

I would suggest a backscene from one of the commercial suppliers as a better option to kit building. That however may be too flat if it is next to the line, which I suspect is what you are looking for.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Thank you for your reply. That is more of what I would like to build. But there is a problem. I have been using my iPad for so long , now I am considering purchasing a printer/scanner to work with my iPad, it is only my laziness because I prefer to use the iPad.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
The layout could have been on here Kevin - John Teal (RJR)  did a superb one - Mossley Terrace but it seems it's no longer on here.  I know John sold it but, unless the build is in the archives, you'll just have to imagine how good it was.

If John logs in from time to time, maybe he could point us in the right direction ……………………….. :roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I think I've found something here:

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=3127&forum_id=52&highlight=mossley+terrace

Unfortunately, the photos are spoilt by a huge Photobucket banner    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

I was suggesting a commercial backscene already printed on appropriate paper. If you want 3D then it's probably kits or DIY. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.   Thank you for your reply. Spot on that is exactly the layout I was talking about.     Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
That's good Kevin - glad to have been of assistance.   :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
You have good taste, Kevin - I absolutely loved that layout - it just proved how great something could look in a relatively small space.  Now if you get to show us something like that…..!
Glad to be hearing from you again

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Hi Michael.   Thank you for your reply. I could appreciate the design of the layout,  it reminded me of driving down to the west end ( s) of the District line, where the east end of the line is more industrial. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Is this the sort of thing you mean? Admittedly not exhibition standard but does give an idea of what can be done. The buildings are a mix of kit and scratch built, mostly card plus a couple of resin cast. The plants in the gardens could do with improvement, things like bay windows and dormers,  garden sheds (cast) and greenhouses (etched brass) gate posts and gates, even a line of washing are available from various kit/accessory suppliers; for garden walls I use a shallow "L" section plastic - 2 metre lengths from a DIY store covered in brick or stone paper - the "lip" on the plastic strip gives a bit more area for adhesive,or could be under paving. If you use plain "l" section for walls run a Stanley knife along to cut a shallow groove for added support.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mike.    Thank you for your reply. My layout isn’t so grand, and I have been “ delayed “ by my spells in Hospital. Originally I settled for a plank in the form of an Inglenook due to lack of room. which was going well, but if I can get upstairs, and sort out my cooking without any help I will get on with the job. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mike.  This is a second reply, the first reply was written too hastily. My first reply was true, but going over it again I now realise that if I could build just the rear of the houses and gardens as good as yours I would get the results that I am looking for . Have you got any tips on the project.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Not a problem for me, I make my own "kits", this is the outline I feed to my plotter cutter for complete 4 house terraces with rear kitchen extension, for low relief  the only difference is the end, half of it at each end, mine are N gauge and this image fits an A4 sheet of card. I print the Scalescenes brick or stone onto A4 self adhesive labels which I stick to the card before cutting. This would make two 4 house terraces,  and 2 kitchen extensions for one of them. I also do a similar image for a terrace with the doors in pairs - alternate houses mirror images. In N gauge I can also do 6 house terraces but without the rear extensions on an A4 sheet. I think that for 00/4mm  it should be posible to get two 3 house terraces on a sheet and rear extensions on a separate sheet, alternatively a 4 house front and rear (or 2 rears for low relief) on one sheet with ends and rear extensions on another. I'm currently working on 1930s semis.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
You say "outline" Mike.  Is that a drawing or card ?  I'm not really sure how these cutters work - are they scan driven ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
If you can recall the plotters that could draw diagrams, the pen moved across the paper on a carriage while the paper could be moved back and forth at the same time meaning you could draw lines or circles in any direction, a plotter cutter just does virtually the same but using a blade in place of a pen. You can get various sizes, from small hobby/craft ones up to quite large ones used for cutting heavier self adhesive vinyl used for lettering on vehicles or business premises, so when you flog your business van you just peel off the vinyl and sell an "unmarked" vehicle.
Here's a video of one cutting

These are some of my terrace house "kits" in various brick colours and greyish stone; I use etched brass windows and doors, cast chimney pots mostly from Peedie models, I "designed" them to have window and door openings that the etches would fit. If you look at the grey ones you'll notice difereent door positioning, this is easy to do and adds a bit of variety. I strengthen corners with plastic angle strip and also add floors and ceiling from thicker card or foam board to keep things square; for window glazing I use OHP transparency film, or sometimes the clear hard plastic sometimes used for packaging.

There was quite a long thread on plotter cutters on this forum a few years ago which led to me buying mine
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=10103&forum_id=62&highlight=plotter#p183690

The semi in the background is a Metcalfe kit, I'm working on my own Semis.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Hi Michael.   Thank you for your reply, I don’t want to be too boring, but I have been told that “ you are a bit of an expert on card kits “. But all the kits that I have seen none fit the bill.Not a bird’s eye view, but a train driver’s eye view. So for me like the builder of the layout in question I don’t want to copy the said layout, just add a background to mine. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin
Anything I know I have gleaned from various threads here - there a lot of skilled card builders.  As an alternative, you could try laser cut kits….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121949224748

This is just an example, there are quite a few variations available if you search.  

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean about a "driver's eye view".    I think that the view will depend on where you yourself are viewing from or taking the photograph.

Regards

Michael
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.