Hook Norton Brewery

Posted
Rating:
#235855 (In Topic #13010)

All the little details

Hi All,

I was in the UK recently (wet, cold, miserable, and the weather wasn't much better), and managed to fit in a quick visit to Hook Norton Brewery. Not the best weather for photography (rail drops on the lens), but hopefully the shots will be of interest to those who like building this sort of thing. One of those cases where it's all in the details. And definitely something for the larger scales I think. The open tank is as I remembered it - metal.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Great shots Nigel, thanks.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Lovely details of a beautiful building. They don't build'em like that any more!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
What a great building, Nigel!   :cool:

It looks like something which would attract Allan's attention.

Posted
Rating:
Excellent shots Nigel…….thank you so much.
The brewery is in holding pattern right now while I focus on the engine shed but they will come in very useful once work re-commences.

In my ignorance I thought the water tank was a canopy  :roll:  and I could never quite understand what it was there for!
I hadnt intended to model it but now its a must……..have you any idea which part of the process it supplied water to? I dont remember it on the schematic you sent me.

Many thanks again for posting these photos

Best wishes

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Hi All,

Thanks.

John,

I believe the tank at the front was used to store the spent malt finings, which was allowed to drain and the residue shoveled into carts as fertilizer. These days it looks like it's pumped out through the metal tube into a tanker. The other side industry of a brewery is of course the supply of brewers yeast to bakers, the makers of Bovril, and anything else that uses hydrolyzed yeast. I used to use kiliograms of the stuff when I was a post-graduate student. This of course required a half-day visit to the local breweries (Youngs and Fullers in London). Sometimes longer on a summer's day, in the interests of science the most recent brews were always tested. Usually several times. A local bakers van parked outside would be ideal.

The water for the brewery comes from a deep spring. This gives Hooky beers the distinct flavor (ironstone meets sheep is how I would describe it).

The distinctive chimney is no longer used since coal-fired steam generation for the steam engine that steam drives everything became too expensive. Calor gas seems to be the fuel of choice.The chimney is now a listed monument. The picture below (at the back opposite the stables) shows what is I think the water holding tank at the top of the building.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
What a great building, Nigel!   :cool:

It looks like something which would attract Allan's attention.
I've been meaning to have a go at this, Max, ever since Nigel put up the original pictures but ill health has other ideas at the moment and all I'm asking for is a long enough remission so I can get it done. I underwent a course of Radiotherapy recently but all that seemed to do was make things worse and me all cranky !

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
We're all thinking of you, Allan.   :cheers

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
We're all thinking of you, Allan.   :cheers
Thanks guys.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Allan.  Sorry to hear of your illness - getting old isn't for sissies!  As an ardent follower & admirer of your work since the '70s you are an institution that we can't afford to lose so not getting better is not an option.  I wish you all the best.

Mal

All stressed out, got addled brains?
Ride your bike or play with trains!

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=380]Kaiser[/user] wrote:
Hi Allan.  Sorry to hear of your illness - getting old isn't for sissies!  As an ardent follower & admirer of your work since the '70s you are an institution that we can't afford to lose so not getting better is not an option.  I wish you all the best.

Mal
Thanks Mal.

I'm still hanging on in there !

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Kev
Inactive Member
Very nice photos Nigel of such beautiful buildings the hand carving of some of the stone is on the building is really nice. :)

Happy Modelling
Kev
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.