The art of compromise.

Posted
Rating:

Finally gettiing out of my system.

A lovely portrayal of horsepower Terry, complete with the recycling crew and equipment waiting patiently.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you.  Very kind of you.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
I have recently been adding some fine detail to the layout which is probably now complete.  Further work is required as regards weathering locomotives and adding crews to same.  Further items of rolling stock require building (kits) and weathering (both kits and ready to run).

As stated earlier I have extended the small piece of scenery in the fiddle yard to give the impression that the scenery carries on into the distance when viewed under the bridge from the scenic section.  The new extension is to the right of the platelayer's hut.  More ballast was added to a farther section of track and awaits painting.

This is the impression when viewed from the scenic section of the layout…

Two Royal Mail bags have been added to the platform.  Courtesy of Dart Castings…

And further detailing has taken place between the tracks in the goods yard…

More coal has been scattered around the yard and secured in place with a spray of Testors Dullcote matt varnish.  The wheelbarrow has had a coal load added and a shovel thrown onto the coal pile…

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Track cleaning.

I have given up on buying those overpriced track cleaning rubbers which usually deteriorate and shed rubber everywhere.  For some time I have been using those dark grey foam sanding blocks which were appropriated from a well known £1 Emporium in packs of three.  They work well but are rather too wide to clean OO track, usually taking some surrounding vegetation with them and being impossible to pass under the bridge on Farleigh.  The obvious answer is, I suppose, to cut one in half lengthways, although I must admit that it never occurred to me until my wife suggested it!  Behind every great man there's a woman, etc. Unfortunately the £1 Emporium no longer sells everything for £1 and has also given up on selling those sanding blocks.

Anyway, said wife was having a tidy up in her crafting shed the other day and asked if this was any good to me…

It is a narrow sanding block used in crafting.  It has a fine abrasive covering on all sides and the width is ideal for cleaning OO track.  It passes under the bridge on Farleigh with no problems. 

I have found a UK supplier on the internet who sells similar blocks for £3.49 + postage, for a pack of ten.  Each block measures 9.2cm long by 2.5cm on all sides.

https://www.craftydevilspapercraft.co.uk/crafty-devils-sanding-blocks-pack-of-10-white.ir

Other suppliers must be available both inside and outside of the UK.  You need to track down (pun intended) suppliers of items for crafting, a hobby usually favoured by the ladies.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry,

Scenic fiddle yard - great stuff. I shall be doing the same.

Not so sure about the abrasive block grit though. Unless it's about #600 or more is will leave scratches that accumulate crud, and reduce traction (not usually an issue for most of us). Snow Blocks are #400 grit equivalent.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Nigel.

Don't worry about the sanding blocks.  When I wear the rail down to the chairs, I'll scrap the layout!  :lol:

Terry

Posted
Rating:
As discussed in another thread I recently added wagon sheets (or tarpaulins) to a couple of wagons destined for Farleigh.  I'll pop a couple photos in here just for completeness.  If you haven't read the other thread, the first wagon is a Cambrian Model Rail kit and the second is a Bachmann rtr generic SR 5-plank wagon.

IMG20230316192422.jpg

Terry

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
IMG20230328162640_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Posted
Rating:
Terry,

You have modelled a lovely looking station, with some superb green locos to match it. I will look through the entire thread later.

Dave C

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Dave.  I hope that you enjoy reading the thread.  I have plans to add some further detail, such as yard lamps. The locos, coaches and a number of wagons require weathering.  I have just bought some paints to make a start although my attention is currently being diverted by my Deisel Refuelling Point micro-layout which is under construction.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
Recent changes to Farleigh.  I have changed the Running-in Board and 'Target' signs with lettering more appropriate to the Southern Railway.  These were obtained from Sankey Scenics and were made to order at a very reasonable price.

Terry

IMG20240103171554.jpg
IMG20240103171721.jpg

Posted
Rating:
Looks good Terry.

The transport police ought to move that guy on from the bench - he's been there ages ..............

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Peter.  I think that his train is delayed!

Terry
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.