The art of compromise.

Posted
Rating:

Finally gettiing out of my system.

The layout plods slowly on.  Today I visited the local wood merchant and bought enough 4mm thick plywood for the backscene, end pieces, and pelmet, which the chap very kindly cut to size for me.
Returning to the theme mentioned in the 64th post, I want to give the impression that the track going under the bridge actually goes somewhere and not just straight into the fiddle yard.  To this end, it will be necessary to restrict the view into said fiddle yard.  I cut a hole in the newly acquired ply end panel and propped it up behind the bridge.  I took some photos from the spectators' viewpoints along the front of the layout to get an idea how far one could see into the fiddle yard.  They look something like this…
This is roughly the area which would need to be developed in order to give the impression I am hoping to achieve…
As a start, I have painted the whole area with brown/grey acrylic paint.
Before any scenic work can progress on the layout, the backscene panels now require fixing in place.
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry. Well done. It isn’t as though any efforts of mine are going anywhere l until I RIP and most likely then to the place where old horses go. But I am working along the same lines, except by necessity,  for the fact that I have chosen a tunnel.Nigel has pointed me in the correct direction with the walls of a cutting, to keep prying eyes 👀 out. Anyway it is all fun as long as you enjoy what you are doing. Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
That looks very neat Terry - I do like the tunnel portal.  :thumbs

No doubt a bit late now but, instead of a sloping wall on the fiddle yard side, I wonder if a level one would hide more plus, putting a roof on it would make a proper "tunnel" effect and almost completely hide anything in the yard.  :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Using a tunnel to hide the fiddle yard is a good idea; I've seen it done before and it's quite effective.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all for your constructive comments.  However, you all appear to have misunderstood what I am aiming to achieve.  It is a bridge, not a tunnel.  I could enclose the fiddleyard side in a 'tunnel' or 'tube' but that will not give the effect I am after.  The impression I am aiming for is that the track and scenery continue on the other side of the bridge. 
Regards to all,
Terry

Posted
Rating:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:  Ooops …………………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
:oops::oops::oops:    Oops indeed Petermac.   Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Clever idea Terry, we often see a tunnel or the track disappearing through a building, but not often a backscene incorporating a bridge. I take it the trick will be matching the scenic through the bridge to that on the backscene ? 
 My only thought is weather the  buttress in the fiddle yard should be angled the same as those on the viewing side. . . Or weather it would make a blind bit of difference ! :hmm

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
As you can see in the photos in post 101, I have placed the wing wall on the fiddle yard side almost parallel to the track.  This does help to restrict the view.  In the final analysis, I may angle it slightly away from the track and include a bit more embankment.   However, this will all take place a bit further down the line.
In the meantime, this arrived yesterday…
And here's the rub… I had intended to model the layout as a BR London Midland offering, of which I actually know very little.  There are numerous BR layouts on the exhibition circuit but not so many set in the pre-nationalisation era.  I am minded to use this model as an opportunity to do something different and have a dip into the Brighton Section of the Southern Railway.  Some of the rolling stock may have to be scratchbuilt but that would just be a case of renewing old skills.  I have, in the past, built many wagons in both 4mm and 7mm scales.  To date, not many buildings for the layout have been completed and it would mean building the station building again (for the third time!)
Views would be welcomed.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry

As a modeller of the BR era late 1950's - early 1960's steam/diesel transition I am aware that there are literally hundreds of modellers like me covering this same period.  Back in the day I modelled pre-grouping MR partly out of a love of Johnson engines and partly on the back of Peter Denny's philosophy that an obscure subject would attract less critique as fewer people were experts - and it worked for a while!

These days, pre-grouping layouts are rare and pre-nationalisation layouts are uncommon.  The trends seem to follow the lead given by the big manufacturers and their output.  If there is a bit of a run of ex-LNER locomotives released, a volley of ex-LNER layouts never seems to be far behind etc etc.

The idea of LMS or SR is a good one - colour, railway heyday, variety of rolling stock etc.  I don't have an interest in either company but can appreciate your fondness for lovely little things like the Terrier.  I say Go For It!!

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
After the overwhelming response (thanks Barry!) to my suggestion that the layout be modelled as the Southern Railway, my thoughts have been going in two directions.  Firstly, I have to finish the woodwork before proceeding with the scenery.  Secondly, I will have to build a couple of ex-LBSC carriages from scratch.  Etched brass kits are available at a price.  I don't do brass, lacking the necessary skills.  I like plastic.  It's easy to work and mistakes can be rectified quite easily.  In any event, I like the challenge of building my own carriages and solving the problems (not issues) as they arise, rather than having a kit designer doing it all for me.
So, this thread is going to continue with the layout build and the carriage build will start on a new thread.  Hopefully, in time, the completed carriages will join us here.
Back to the layout.  Not much done recently but today I decided to start adding the boards which support the backscene . Firstly, I thought that I would tackle the board which separates the scenic section from the fiddle yard.  Keeping this board upright has always been a problem for me.  For instance, the boards along the rear of the layout are simply screwed to the outside of the baseboard frame, as is the small board at the end of the scenic section.  But the board separating the scenic section and the fiddle yard is sitting on top of the baseboard surface, therefore no frame to screw it to.  Fortunately, there will be a road and embankment at this end of the layout so here is my solution to keep the board upright…
Three wooden blocks are fitted each side of the bridge.  The bottom block is screwed into the end frame beneath the baseboard surface, and each block is screwed onto the piece below.  Screws are driven into the wooden blocks from the fiddle yard side and all is secure.  The blocks will eventually be hidden beneath the road and embankment.
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Yes, I saw those Ed.  I believe the 4-wheelers had been withdrawn before the 1930's.  Bogie coaches are required.  Just about to start a new thread.  Thanks for your interest.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry

Any chance of an update on the Art of Compromise project - there are lots of us interested!!

Barry

Posted
Rating:
There are indeed!!!

Best title for a thread I've seen, too…

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry,

Regarding your Post #82

I'm late to this Topic but regarding getting colour consistency, I use a lot of Scalescenes papers and get them printed at my local Office Supplies on quality paper of the appropriate weight. At around the equivalent of 35 pence for an A4 200GSM sheet I reckon its very good value. You can see some results on my topic or gallery (sorry - shameless plug!)

They have good QC so I've found the colour is reliable. Their dyes are reasonably light fast but I do coat with a matt UV varnish once installed. In comparison, home ink jet applications can be quite variable and (I think) less UV stable. The cost of professional printing has dropped so much it doesn't warrant all the fussing over maintaining your own hardware, not to mention the consumables. Consequently, colour home printing is one technology bullet I've managed to completely dodge!

Colin

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
Apologies for the rather long break in this thread.  Work stopped in the Summer and after some months I have ventured down to the shed once again.  Some progress of late.  The boards to support the backscenes are in place, as is the facia and pelmet.  All woodwork on show to the front and sides has been given a coat of grey paint.

I am taking the opportunity with this small layout to try some techniques not tried before by me.  The use of point motors, as previously mentioned in this thread, being one.  I thought that I would explore LED lighting as the main layout lighting.  I have seen it used on a number of layouts at exhibitions but there is virtually nothing available online to explain how to do it (well, I couldn't find anything!).  The small electrical connection poking over the end board above is the connection to the LED strip which runs behind the pelmet. (I forgot to take photos of the lighting - post some soon).  I am amazed as to how simple this LED business is.  Lasts virtually forever (as far as I know), with no neon tubes or bulbs to replace.  Gives 180 degree light. Fixed behind the pelmet with the strong double-sided tape already attached to the back of the strip.  Connecting strips of LEDs in tandem by soldering wires between them is simplicity itself.  I bought a fifteen foot strip of LEDs on Ebay, together with transformer plug and associated connections for under £10.  Bargain!  I chose 'warm white' to give a feel of a sunny day on the model. A single strip appears to be sufficient to light the model, the baseboards being only fourteen inches wide. (In the picture above, the boards are lit by the shed lights not the LED's).

Regards to all.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
I still need to dismantle the layout to establish how it can be 'boxed-up' for transporting.  I am shying away from doing so at present, but I will have to face it sooner or later.  In  the meantime I have been giving some thought to the scenery.  Last night I decided to start by cutting the road to the station from mounting board.  I have a number of large off-cuts, obtained for free by a fellow club member from a local picture framing shop.  These pictures should give the flavour as to where we are going.
The only other thing to report at present is that the Scalescenes' small station building, in Southern Railway guise, is currently under construction.  If you have followed this thread from the beginning, you will remember that the layout was to represent a station on the London Midland Region until I bought the new Hornby Terrier in Southern livery and everything changed! The recent announcement by Hattons of production of four and six-wheeled coaches is particularly useful, especially for a layout of this size.
More as the layout progresses.
Regards to all.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Great progress Terry and happy New Year  :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the update Terry

On a non-railway related YouTube channel I saw a guy produce lighting using 3 LED strips - Warm White, Daylight and Blue, each fitted with a dimmer.  By varying the amount of each light (using the dimmers) he created a series of "moods" that could be interpreted as times of day or even weather!

I thought at the time it was really brilliant.  Perhaps an intimate scene like yours could use such a system???

Barry

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.