TrainController Ver 10

Posted
Rating:

New licence methodology

I have to say, divided thoughts both here and elsewhere don't make me that confident. I think I will have to stop with version 9 as there are too many possible pitfalls with the route he has taken. I know in the past he has been very awkward and I just don't feel sure it is the right move for me. Not only do I have internet availablity issues but this constant validation makes me wonder. Something happends to his server or him and there is no "last update" resulting in no running trains. Why he can't validate it once against the pc it is running on and then you have to release the licence from that PC before running on another I don't know. At least then you aren't held to ransom.

Is it going to mandatory to upgrade to future versions in order to continue being validated? To me it is all too much like you are renting the software. I do hope none of this comes true, but I am not prepared to take the risk at this time.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
To be Honest Dave you ARE renting the software, or to be more precise you are paying for a LICENCE to use HIS software. You do exactly the same with Templot, only in Martin's case there is no 'fee' but you still have to be 'Licensed' to use HIS software. In Martin's case I THINK he does this A) to protect HIS software and B) to make sure users are using the latest version so he doesn't get all the crap from people who insist on using out of date versions but complain when stuff doesn't work or instructions on use differ from old versions to new. Martin keeps it simple and unobtrusive to validate users.
With Traincontroller you pay to have a version, you pay again to upgrade to the latest version. You now have a choice, stay with the old version and use the dongle or upgrade and have to connect regularly to the internet to 'validate' your Licence, running the risk of losing access if he pops his clogs or throws a wobbly and shuts it down.

As with most software packages you will find as with, say windows 7, the older it got the less it was supported until eventually it is no LONGER upgraded or supported, even down to basic security updates. To get support etc you need to upgrade to the later versions.

Our forum software is another example. Originally Bob paid for the licence to use it. But now It's old. It's obsolete, there is no official support anymore and so we rely on the Likes of Martin and Breakage to keep tinkering in the background to keep us running. We would need to pay to move to, and use  new up to date software ( unless its open source in which case you don't pay but you still agree to terms and conditions of use)
In a nutshell end users never 'own' the software, ( unless they pay to commission their own) they are just Licenced to use it

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
That's all true, maybe I used the wrong words in my message. My job was in IT so I know the deal. My point is with most software, like my version on Microsoft Office, it doesn't stop working when a new version is released by Microsoft and they don't force me to upgrade.  I can stay using my licence for the old version and accept that it will become unsupported over time, but the key point is, it will still work. With version 10 there is the risk that our man will then insist people upgrade to version 11 when it comes out by changing the validation code routine or something similar and if you don't, or can't afford it, your software won't be validated and won't run.

Each to there own I know. For me the licence validation using the internet every time the software is fired up (and  possibly during operation) is a step too far at this time. If I have people coming round, and the internet isn't working, then the trains don't run.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Microsoft Office 363 ? They are pushing it big time. I have Office 2007 ? Maybe? ( Don't know without looking) that I can load and use on up to 3 machines. 363 is now cloud based so you stop paying you stop being able to use. And you have to be online to use it. Afk this is becoming the new world Dave

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Dave.

I take your point - I dillied and dallied for quite a while before committing.

One of my concerns was the longevity of my 14 year old USB. Although when it came down to actually destroying it I had the same difficulties that the other Dave (gdaysydney) experienced. :lol:

The internet connection in my basement Train room cannot be described as perfect however so far booting TC has been seamless and I connect up most mornings. Once started I usually dont close it down until the evening. During the intervening time I know from the Firefox "we are sorry" screen that I have occasionaly lost internet connection - with no effect on TC.

However, for me, its probably the most underwhelming upgrade since I first bought TC in 2008. Normally I am bursting to try one or more of the new features - not this time - I have yet to use any of the new "Facilties". I guess thats largely because both the layout and schedule programming are like their owner - mature! :roll:. If I were planning a new layout/section I can see how useful they could be.

Although I get so much pleasure from TC that the amount I paid to stay current doesnt seem unreasonable amortised over 3-4 years (the usual upgrade interval)

Best wishes

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.