New 1,000 tonne bridge deck over Caversham Road

Posted
Rating:
#110849 (In Topic #5807)
Guest user

An amazing time-lapse video.

Hello Martin,
             Many Thanks for that. "What a difference 3 days make - Only 72 hours",
                        Kind Regards,
                     Michael Thornberry.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wow, makes building my layout seem like kid's play!

Did they construct the new bridge just off site where the transporter was parked? I ask because due to the sheer physical size of the new bridge, transporting it to site must have been interesting to say the least.

In Glasgow they are almost finished adding the M74 link, which will link the M8 to the M74, thus bypassing the infamous Kingston bridge and it's associated jams. This involved huge long unsupported span roadbridges over roads and railways.They seemed to transport these bridges in sections and weld them on site before erection. No videos alas.

Regards, Alan
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I had read about the project in one of the Rail magazines, but it is something else watching it like that.

The only thing I missed, despite going through it twice, was the introduction of the PVA between the sleepers before reballasting - or don't they do that on the prototype?:lol:

That transporter they used would make an interesting subject to model. Just look at the size of it. Even just getting that on site must have been a challenge unless they built that there as well as fabricating the bridge itself.

Amazing.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I've just got a blank screen on the first post, is it me, it normally is ! :hmm

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
WOW!
Thanks for posting that:thumbs

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I can see it now, could they come and do just an hour or two on my layout!:doublethumb 

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Like others, I'm interested as to how the bridge deck arrived on that transporter deck, that in itself is a fascinating wide piece of machinery with all those steerable axles, but the bridge deck is a lot wider.  I can't think of many urban areas where it would be easy to get that width of bridge deck along, even if it's just a straight avenue, let alone the removal of all the street furniture.  

A great piece of (hopefully UK?) engineering, thanks Martin for bringing it to our attention.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Network Rail have published some information about the project. This page confirms that the bridge was prefabricated more or less on site - at least just around the corner:-

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/Press-Releases/READING-BRIDGE-NEARS-COMPLETION-AHEAD-OF-XMAS-RAIL-IMPROVEMENT-WORK-15f2/SearchCategoryID-8.aspx

Some interesting facts from a later page:-

Caversham Road bridge

· 1,000 tonne bridge deck

· Moved by a self propelled modular transporter with 72 axles. Each axle can be turned independently to allow for very precise movements

· 25cm – the amount of clearance between the new bridge and the corner of our offices on its route to Caversham Road. We’re removing part of the facia from our building to provide an extra metre’s clearance.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Impressive! I'm glad they used Streamline track too rather than Setrack, it really does look better. Still looks a bit 'model-like' though don't you think? The Bachmann trackside workers looked good too.

Last edit: by Trainfish

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.