How do YOU enter and Navigate YMRC ?

Posted
Rating:
#259155 (In Topic #14157)
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

It would help if as many members as possible take part

Hi guys and Gals, Breakage has asked me to gather a bit of information on just HOW you visit and use the forum.
Please do a quick read through of the questions before you answer so you can tailor your responses correctly

It's multiple choice but please try and limit your responses to your MAIN method of visiting unless you really DO use more than one method regularly. 
PLEASE CHOOSE EITHER 7 OR 8  as your personal preference

Feel free to expand your answers in a post if there is something I've missed or you want to make any observations/ suggestions.  I may re do the Poll depending on your responses

If your not sure about any of the questions just ask and I'll try and clarify, and you can then go back at any time and adjust your answers

It's your forum so PLEASE take part  :thumbs

Many thanks for your participation

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I use a laptop and a tablet for YMRC. The tablet is on Hotel California protocol, while the laptop has a saved login page with auto saved login details and I then hit the recents tab, which is my vote above.

I use the tablet to see what's going on and the laptop to post, all but the briefest posts, since I detest the predictive text and tiny touch keypad of the tablet which have needed several corrections for this post!

Hope this helps,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I use a PC and access YMRC via a bookmark which connects me to the Home page then I navigate usually to Recent Topics.I don't log out either.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
I mostly log on from my phone but also from my work laptop  :lol: In both cases I have a bookmark which takes me straight to recent topics. 

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Martin Wynne is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Matt,

As an Admin I don't get a vote, but my answer would be 5. And the same on every other forum I'm a member of. Bookmark to the Recent/Active topics page.

For YMRC the Recent Topics bookmark URL is:

http://yourmodelrailway.net/index.php?show=recent

cheers,

Martin.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
I get to vote on polls Martin, feel free to add yours, your a member just like everybody else and your vote is equally valid
Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I have bookmarked 'Recent Topics', number 8. Edge has saved my login details.

I don't log out; I've assumed I get automatically logged out after a period of inactivity.

Regards
Evan
PS I give up. How do I record my vote?

Last edit: by Ssamm

Posted
Rating:
I'm hitting a snag. I'm on my first visit to the topic yet it tells me I've voted and the "Vote" button has been replaced by "Change Vote" option, which doesn't work either.

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
I visit Recents first -  it is what comes up automatically when I type in "Y" in the URL locator but it suits me as I don't want to log on to H&T's (except when I add one of course) and give a false reading as to the number of views etc.
Cheers

Trevor

PS I have had the same issue as Colin in that I am told I have voted.

Last edit: by xdford

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Try it now as I changed the 0 in number of days for the poll, to a blank.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Number 6 for me.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
90% of the time I visit using my tablet, but there seems to be some incompatibility with the gallery so for that I upload from my laptop.

Initial entry? To the homepage. Sometimes I then just hit the 'recents' button, others I'll scroll through the full list (although I agree that that does appear to be growing somewhat unwieldy).

David.

9C, Hibel Road & Macclesfield Central: 30 May 1941. Various scales
Landscape 1:150, Buildings 1:152·4, 9mm Track 1:159·5, Stock 1:148

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Sol… all good!
Cheers

Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Try it now as I changed the 0 in number of days for the poll, to a blank.
Thanks Sol, I deliberately left it Blank so the Poll was open Ended. I did An edit at one point and it must have changed blank to 0   blurry Gremlins  :roll:

Feel free to go back and vote guys if it wouldn't let you before. 

We are just trying to get a rough idea of how people  use the forum and what would be the most popular option for the landing page. I know on most forums, whatever the Content, you TEND to see the most recent content at the front, and then Indexes, content pages, reference areas one step behind whereas this forum brings you in to the Homepage, and you then navigate to the most recent content, by clicking Recent Topics or scrolling way down the page to the 15 most recents ( which is broke at the moment and under investigation)

I tend to use bookmarks extensively,  so I go straight to the most recent Topics  page. If I log out and back in I land on the home page and Immediately hit Recent Topics and go to that page, UNLESS I want to search the forums/ reference area

We wanted to get an idea how the majority of members enter and navigate and whether there is a clear preference one way or the other as this could influence future work  :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Hello,
I do the same as Sol
Stephen

Acording to a recent visit to a supermarket at check out time, I an not loosing my memory it has been downgraded which means i am not stupid afterall - Sorted! - What a relief

Posted
Rating:
I have a short cut to the homepage and then browse to a forum, usually where I see there is something new, unless I am looking for something.  I stay logged in, but also have login saved.  Quite often I click on a link in an email too.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
I use either our desk Mac at home or my iPhone,and I never log out.So its 6 and recents for me!

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
The poll keeps re locking itself so if you can't vote just say so and someone will unlock it AGAIN  :hmm

Posted
Rating:
OK, I’ve voted.
I almost always stay logged in and am bookmarked to go to the home page.

I then, almost always, hit the recent topics button.

I use either;

1. a windows laptop
  2. a windows desktop
  3. an apple IPad or
  4. an android smartphone.

But, and I think this is important, I’m an old hand and know what I want and generally where to go on the forum to look for it.

If, however, this was my first few visits as a new hand I’d be wanting to go to the home page to see the categories available to me for browsing.

Can you give new comers the home page by default and old hands the choice?

I don’t mind hitting the “recent topics” on the way in. It’s no bother. If I was that fussed I could change my bookmark.

Just my thoughts.

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
I never log out and usually go straight to the Recents page.

In doing so, I've occasionally completely missed a new forum which Matt has spent days developing ……………………………. :oops:

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.