2019 Annual Wishlist Poll

Posted
Rating:
#246624 (In Topic #13615)
The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

The 00 Wishlist Poll runs from 14 October to 2 November at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/

The Poll provides railway modellers and collectors with an easy and informed way of indicating to makers and commissioners of 00 ready-to-run models which models they would realistically buy if made at some time in the future from all-new tooling (excluding models since 1 January 2005).

Voting covers steam, diesel and electric locos; DMUs; EMUs; passenger and non-passenger-carrying coaching stock; freight and departmental stock. The Industrial and Underground categories have gone, enabling many new items of ‘core content’. Pollsters can now make suggestions for re-makes of some items made since 2005.

The Poll has an accompanying Guide which is particularly useful for checking such as the build dates of the various BR Mk1 catering vehicles, or whether one particular diesel shunter will suit your needs better than others.

The Poll Team email is: thepollteam@gmail.com

I hope this is acceptable posting this here: I am a member of the Poll Team, although none of the members of the Team have any vested interests in running the Poll.

Please have a look and have your say as to what you would like to see produced in the future.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Jeff,

I will give it a look when it opens tomorrow.

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.

Posted
Rating:
Is a money tree one of the options?

Posted
Rating:
The manufacturers seem to have great difficulty getting their money trees going, Chris (TeaselBay), so don't hold your breath!

:mutley :mutley :mutley

Last edit: by SRman

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
My wish list is very, very simple - it's just 6 numbers …………………………………… ;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
My wish list is very, very simple - it's just 6 numbers …………………………………… ;-)

Mine has six zeros after the first number, and a dollar sign in front!

Seriously, as more and more items from the previous wishlists are manufactured, we seem to be getting more and more into the rarer items, or those more difficult to justify as models, of rolling stock. By that, I mean that when we consider what goes into the poll, we also consider how easy it would be for a manufacturer to produce variations on the mouldings, so a range of coaches from railway 1 may share common underframes and roofs (with different vents and details), whereas a range from another railway may have three different underframe lengths and consequently all the other components that make up the shells are different.

If anyone does want to see particular models or ranges of models produced, the Wishlist Poll is one way of getting through to them. People can also contact each manufacturer individually and suggest things.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
As always I am pleased to see a selection of Southern multiple units listed.  

The 4Cor remains available in prototype to be scanned should a manufacturer wish to pursue what is often one of the better-polling MU types and I am in a position to arrange introductions if necessary.  

The reality is that in 2019 (and 2020/1 which is the minimum lead-time for any all-new model) that a multiple unit design is likely to cost upwards of £100 a coach even though only one has a motor.  Check the list prices of the forthcoming Bachmann 2Hap and 4Bep for example which could be created very largely from existing tools with R&D confined to a single vehicle.  But still they ask a price plus-or-minus £100 a coach.  

A 4Cor or a 6-car Hastings DEMU (two of my hoped-for and voted-for future releases every year) will now cost a very significant sum.  I am perhaps fortunate in being able to support that and based on 2019 prices could manage at least two 4Cor units and a single 6-car Hastings diesel of which ever variety was produced.

The poll is very extensive and one is not required to vote in all categories.  If LNER steam or GWR goods wagons are not your thing then simply skip those sections - it is not necessary to enter a "donkey vote" (which would give a false result) to complete the survey.

Please take a few minutes of your time to guide the manufacturers in a positive direction.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Rick, speaking without my Poll Team hat on, look to the prices of the Bachmann 6-car Blue Pullman (and variants) for a guide to the price a 6-car Hastings DEMU might start at.

I too would like a 4 COR. It was my (reasonable) degree of expertise on Southern Electrics that got me invited into the Poll Team back in 2011/2012. That knowledge came from my own modelling of SR and ex-SR units over many years. That doesn't mean I am a complete expert; I'm sure there are others around with knowledge at least equal to mine, and probably better.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
The list is certainly fullsome - congratulations to the Poll Team for pulling it together and providing both the background guide and the links.  A very good piece of work Gentlemen.

The secret, of course, is to select the items that relate to your layout and the period you are modelling but I bet that I am not alone in considering widening my time period/geographical location to include some of the wonderful suggestions, particularly the elderly GER engines which were quite beautiful and quite totally out of place on the new Yarslow layout.  That situation is made worse by the suggestion that coaching stock might also be available!!

Interestingly, the (LNER) twin set, quad-art and quint-art sets are included.  With all the problems that smaller kit producers seem to be having, these would be wonderful additions to the RTR market and I, for one, would shake the money tree to buy them.

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the positive feedback, Barry.

I'll pass on what you have said here to Brian Macdermott and the rest of the Team.

:cheers

Edit: Brian and the rest of the Team really appreciated what you said, Barry. Thanks again.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
I got as far as discussing costs with a former go-it-alone manufacturer with regards to a 4Cor.  We got to the point of back-of-envelope costs and retail pricing for three livery variants at 750 pieces each.  We concluded this was not going to be viable and the project got no further but it came closer than some have to reality.

Given the much increased costs since that (quite recent) time I'm afraid we would be looking at at least £500 retail for the unit though possibly with a little retailer discounting lowering that if they could.  The original idea was that some would be sold through the body owning the preserved unit to benefit that and to raise awareness of its existence which seems to be largely forgotten these days.  

I do hope it polls well again this year.  I doubt anyone will pick it up as a realistic commercial proposition but it could still be done as a partnership and possibly with shared revenue risk.  

Quite how anyone would represent those wobbling gangways would tax R&D minds I am sure.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Talking without my Poll Team hat on, the 4 COR development costs could be reduced very slightly if produced by Hornby because they already have a suitable design of chassis and motor bogie from the 2 BIL and 2 HAL units already in production. There would still be differences in the detail fittings, bogie side frames and, of course, the bodies, but the R&D for a running chassis with the correct dimensions is already there for them. The centre coaches (for how many variants?) would all have to be newly researched and developed.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
Jeff

I have no intention of highjacking the thread AND DO NOT EXPECT TO START A DEBATE HERE but I wonder if modellers would be prepared to accept a "Railroad" version of a locomotive/EMU/whatever that had some erroneous dimensions but at a reasonable cost?  I note that the J83 and J52 are listed as being old Hornby models on the generic "Jinty" chassis - realistically, just how many people knew that???

There are places other than here to debate such an issue but I thought it was an interesting question following on from the recent threads on production costs.

Perhaps I will start a new thread to avoid this one becoming side-tracked.

Barry

Posted
Rating:
It is a good point for discussion, Barry, probably outside of the parameters and remit of the Poll itself, though.

I would like to join in the discussion if you do start a new thread for it. 
 :cheers

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
New thread started to keep this one clear for its intended use
Have your say on "The Price of Accuracy"

Barry

Posted
Rating:
A reminder that if you haven't voted already, the Poll closes on Saturday November 2nd. If you are concerned about the motives, rationale and mechanisms behind the Poll, I quote a response Brian Macdermott gave to a contributor on RMweb (with Brian's permission).

"The Poll is many days in the making. We first started The Poll in its current format in 2012, although we had been working on it for some time before that. 

The Team is in touch most weeks throughout the year but we have a full review of every item and link over a 10-week period between June and early September. We then 'close for press' and the data goes to Andy York to construct the very clear pages you voted upon. At that time, we open an agenda for the following year.

It could be described as hard work, but we enjoy the process and learn as we go. And part of the overall plan is for voters to learn from The Guide.

If anyone reading this hasn't yet voted you only have until Saturday! 

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)
"

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
Given my new layout is not able to depict the east coast mainline, I've had to opt for something a little smaller.

The Yorks/Lancs borders, predominently the West Riding, is where I get my other "rush" from so I'd like to see more smaller steam locos in early/late BR costumes - anything pre blue era !!!

I suppose. as we grow older, or even become extinct, the market may well be more interested in catering for "younger" modellers who know nothing of steam.  I think the LNER is particular, had a whole host of tank engines, most of which are no longer in production.  The GWR is well catered for in this sector, the other regions, less so but we can always hope.

I presume one has to be a member of RMWeb to vote …………………………………………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter; no one doesn't have to be a member of RMweb to vote. It is run for us by Andy York but is independent of RMweb. 

As for myriads of small tank engines, the Southern inherited and created a good many different designs too, many of which will probably never see the light of day as RTR models.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Jeff.

Where is the poll or are you recording "wants" via here  ?  I see there's lots of interesting stuff about which regions did what etc. but I can't find a poll ………………….. :???: :???:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Jeff Lynn,
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.