Wombat Creek Consolidated Mines Pty Ltd

Posted
Rating:

A narrow gauge railway between the mines, the sawmill and the explosives factory

Marty said

Hi Claus,

Have read from here… N Gauge - Newcastle Emlyn**** - Your Model Railway

I do have the N gauge society magazine article somewhere…. but I have just moved house…. it will surface eventually… but you should solve the problem with the photos in the page above before I find the magazine.

Note that there is a photo of the underside of my turntable a couple of posts below the linked post above.

Let me know if you need more.

Thank you very much, Marty. Unfortunately I think it is too late to change the wheels. At the moment the worm gear doesn't work. I might have tightened a nut too much and the axel inserted into the turntable has come loose 😒

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
What's going on?

wct 240323.jpg

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
What an enjoyable way to make a curved roof.

Ed

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

What an enjoyable way to make a curved roof.

Ed

Spot on, Ed. The bottle has the right diameter!

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
What is the material Claus? (no…not the wine…. the roof)

Nice drop that Annie's Lane too. A bottle or two has worked it's way through the wine rack here.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:

Marty said

Nice drop that Annie's Lane too. A bottle or two has worked it's way through the wine rack here.

Hi Marty,
You are right. The wine wasn't bad!
The roof is 0.5 mm thick Corrugated Siding from JTT Scenery Products. It is easily shaped and curved even 'against' the corrugations. I plan to use the sheet for a small water tank with an even smaller diameter.

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Did you soften it with hot water initially Claus - as Marty said - the plastic, not the wine ?

Also, does the wine quality effect the sheet strength ?  :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Petermac said

Did you soften it with hot water initially Claus - as Marty said - the plastic, not the wine ?

Also, does the wine quality effect the sheet strength ?  :mutley

Hi Petermac,

The styrene sheets are very easy to curve without hot water. Initially I curved the pieces around the handle of a small brush before attaching to the wine bottle.

I don't know if the wine quality has any effect. The bottle was emptied before the sheets were curved!

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:

Claus Ellef said

Marty said

Hi Marty,
You are right. The wine wasn't bad!
The roof is 0.5 mm thick Corrugated Siding from JTT Scenery Products. It is easily shaped and curved even 'against' the corrugations. I plan to use the sheet for a small water tank with an even smaller diameter.

Cheers,
Claus

JTT Scenery Products are a new mob to me… I'll have an investigate. Thanks.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Room for one more locomotive

wct 240401a.jpg

The new shed is almost finished. Only the 'concrete' floor is missing. The little shed is big enough for the locomotive parked just outside, but the main 'tenant' will be the small shunter.

The design of the shed is inspired by the narrow gauge shed in Colac, Victoria. The Victorian Railways opened a narrow gauge railway between Colac and Beech Forest in 1902 (later extended to Crowes in 1911). The railway was closed in stages between 1954 and 1962. I like the unusual curved roof and decided it was worth a model. Finding appropriate drawings and photos was difficult with the shed long gone. All I had was photos like this from https://www.westonlangford.com/:

104520.jpg

The model is far from exact but probably close enough to be recognised by people who have seen the real thing.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
That looks good, Claus.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:

peterm said

That looks good, Claus.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

Rule 1 Claus, it looks great  :thumbs3:

Ed

Thank you.

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
The Newcastle Emlyn engine shed in Wales is a very similiar design and one of the special items that drew me to model that particular GWR branch line. You've made a good job of your shed although it looks like you have cut the poor blighter in half?! :mutley

Are the low sided open wagons in the photo slate/stone wagons?

And the back line is raised on wooden risers…. fascinating. To assist with unloading maybe?

If you want a really interesting layout, model what is out there in real life… you will never be bored.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:

Marty said

The Newcastle Emlyn engine shed in Wales is a very similiar design and one of the special items that drew me to model that particular GWR branch line. You've made a good job of your shed although it looks like you have cut the poor blighter in half?! :mutley

Are the low sided open wagons in the photo slate/stone wagons?

And the back line is raised on wooden risers…. fascinating. To assist with unloading maybe?

If you want a really interesting layout, model what is out there in real life… you will never be bored.

Hi Marty,
You are right. The shed has been cut in half for a few reasons. Firstly I  only need room for one engine. Secondly there is not enough room for a longer version. An extension at the back will end up in the creek. At the front  a length of track is needed for water and coal facilities.

The wagons are Victoria Railways' standard NQR wagons. On the Beech Forest line they mainly carried wood and timber. Occasionally animals and humans could be loaded as well.

The trestle appears to be next to the coal stage. Perhaps used as an above ground ash pit.

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Scratch building

wct 240404a.jpg
The steam locomotives at the narrow gauge mining railway need coal and water.

The water tank is made from a piece of corrugated styrene shaped around the cork from a bottle of mead. The base is balsa wood and the legs a four length of rails. The ladder is made from a thin slice of corflute. The inlet is a short length of wire. The water is 1 mm clear table protector and the outlet is a bit of cord from a Venetian blind.

The coal stage is 1.5 mm balsa wood, a piece of ladder from Plastruct and real coal from the State Coal Mine in Wonthaggi.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Breaker of Things
breakage is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
macaward.jpg

Signatures? Where we're going we don't need no stinking signatures!

Posted
Rating:
Impressive !!!

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.