009 Mini Layout.

Posted
Rating:
#200380 (In Topic #11104)

Somewhere in Devon.

009 Mini Layout.
Have just completed the baseboard for my mini layout 36" x 20" which will live on a shelf inside a wardrobe.
Track 3/4 laid but now need to construct a small bridge over the Mill leat, not sure what to use for the stone work, Das and scribe, Wills sheets or stone paper each have their drawbacks.Lots of time needed to scribe the Das method and would the scribing really show compared to a decent stone paper? Wills sheets are hard to cut and join, we will see.
All for now, progress will be slow but at least I have started

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Morning Roy, I like your layout plan,lots of operation in a small area without it looking cramped or contrived, I will follow your progress with interest :).

Cheers, Pete.

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Roy, I cover a cardboard carcase with 2/3 mm of DAS, pressed onto a thin smear of PVA, and then while it is still soft (don't leave it any longer than 10 mins) I press outlines of stone/brick using the ferrules from old paint brushes:

Here is an example of a bridge using this method:

Here is the bridge on Kilgerran layout using the same method:

Hope this helps.

Shaun.

Last edit: by gastwo

Posted
Rating:
Thanks both for your comments.
Shaun - thanks for those ideas, will give it a try, a lot easier than scribing

Roy.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Roy,

Re your layout plan, have a Google search for "Nixnie".  A similar size to what you propose but offering two scenic sides in the same space without loosing track behind a backscene.  

David M.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the reply David, and yes I have already had a good look at that layout, progress on mine is very slow at the moment, summer and life just get in the way, still there is no hurry the winter is coming.

Posted
Rating:
As mentioned in my July post I thought progress may well be slow but attach a couple of photos of progress so far, wiring is the next move.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the photos. Gives me some useful hints for use of ply etc.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.