Vintage models

Posted
Rating:
#251335 (In Topic #13808)

Running Nellie and Connie and others on a tabletop layout

Hi All,
For anyone who has an interest in older models. If you are into realism and accuracy, you might want to skip this – you have been warned!

I enjoy collecting old Triang Nellie models, and her sisters too. I recently managed to obtain a good Connie (one of the least common models, and usually quite expensive for a good one).

Connie turned out to be in good, little used, condition. An oil and a clean of the wheels, she runs really well for a 60+ year old model. She did require new name plates, and I managed to create some new ones on a laser printer, using yellow sugar type paper, and then a coat of varnish on both sides. If anyone needs a copy of the artwork, please let me know and I'll send them a PDF.

Anyhow, we had the railway set out on the kitchen table last weekend (nothing fixed or proper, I'm afraid!), and I decided to have a go at creating a short film for YouTube.

https://youtu.be/9TXrVAfKgiM

Just a bit of fun – hopefully you will enjoy!

All the best

Gordon :-)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Great fun…. and what great runners!  
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
It would keep the young children happy… & bring back memories for us oldies…

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of fun and nostalgia combined.

My first set that started the ball rolling was a Triang Primary series one, with an 0-4-0 steeple cab electric loco that used the same chassis as the Nelly/Polly/Connie.

I currently have two of the Nellies, but both modified a bit. The two bodies only had one good chimney between them, so that got cut in half, with one body ending up with a half height stovepipe chimney, the other with a half height flared chimney. One loco has had separate handrails fitted and finer scale wheels, and is painted in a form of BR black, while the other has been painted a maroon colour with gold lining and a Milliput Thomas-style face added. The latter is pulled out when very young kids visit.

Both retain the 200 mph gearing. The less modified Thomas one will remain on the track at any speed up to near supersonic!

Triang Nellie Bash - 1 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Triang Nellie Bash - 3 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Michael, Ron, and Jeff,

Yes, I remember using Nellies when I was young, so brings back memories for me too. And my nine year old son now loves them too!

Loving your modified Nellies, Jeff. I've long thought that the freelance Nellie type looks more like a proper engine than the Holden that replaced it, and your black model with added details really looks the part.

All the best

Gordon

Posted
Rating:
Nellie is actually quite a good model at heart - a stretched version of a Drummond design used originally as a push pool loco and latterly as works shunters, and can be easily turned in to  a passable working model. There is a long running thread on RMweb covering this and many variations abound there. One is to marry a Terrier chassis to the Nellie body which gives  a loco that could pass as an LSWR, CR or NB engine depending on boiler fittings or even something from the HR as his brother closely followed Dugald's designs. I have one planned based on this that is almost at the top of the to do pile.

Posted
Rating:
Ben, I hope that you are going to treat us to the process of conversion, together with lots of photos!

Regards,

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Will do, once I get started on it....Plenty on the go but I have sort of given up on posting for the mo, but once mojo returns there will be lots to see...
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.