Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

3D Printed Items

Each of my products is scientifically tested prior to being released to the market.

Actually I was quite surprised how strong it is. I will probably remodel this when I find someone who wants a 21st century train shed roof. This first print was really just an experiment.

Here it is sitting on my keyboard so that you can get some idea of its scale / size.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Here is my 3d printed privy after slapping on a bit of paint and some brick paper.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Nearly ready for the market is my interpretation of the footbridge at Kirby in Furness.  It now passes all the Shapeway pre-production printability tests. Once I am happy that the printed item prints as expected it will go on sale at around the 19 pounds mark (plus postage and VAT for those that have to pay it).

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Fantastic models!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
My Chimney stack experiment has arrived from Shapeways and I was pleasantly surprised with the result. I'd modelled the bricks and mortar courses at true scale, which means that the mortar was only 0.16 of a mm wide. I really didn't expect the printer to make much of a texture. I have quickly slapped some paint on it and placed it on a piece of paper on my desk to take a picture.

As you can see, you can definitely make out bricks.

Here it is balanced on the ridge of a Metcalfe corner shop I made (very badly) a few years ago, which gives you some idea of the size.  Now that I know that it works I will knock up a few variations and some larger ones (when I get time).

I've also released it on Shapeways at 7mm to the foot scale.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
The bridge looks superb and very finely detailed. Will it be robust enough to stand up to a bit of handling?

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Bob
The prototype is under production at Shapeways and should be with me first week in April. However, the material it is printed in is strong and not at all brittle. I would expect it to be throw across the room tough. When I get my hands on the first print I'll give it the throw across the room test.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I've splashed some paint on my platform canopy.

I would recommend painting the components before assembly and then touching up as necessary afterwards. This was fully assembled prior to painting and it was a bit of a fiddle.

I have now created some bulk packs on Shapeways, which improves the cost per item. Anyone contemplating creating lots of canopy PM me and I will see if we can tailor the bulk packs to suit your needs.

Last edit: by Wizmacnz

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
That looks excellent Peter - really impressive. :thumbs:thumbs

Is it strong ?  I'm wondering how you've fixed the columns to the platform surface …….there's quite a lot of "top hamper" for a single lateral support :hmm

I'll have a look at Shapeways and see what your bulk discount looks like ……………….:roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I've had a look and the bulk prices are looking more attractive by the minute ………now where did I put my calculator ? :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Peter

The columns have a 1mm plastic pin below the base that I pushed into a hole that made in the platform with an awl. 

I haven't glued it in yet and it has become a bit wobbly with me taking it in and out so that I could paint it. I think it will be pretty strong  though when glued to a platform. 

The plastic itself is a form of Nylon and not brittle so it will take a few knocks and a bit of rough handling.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
I have now saved the shop in my internet, as you are producing some items that will be fantastic for me as I progress with my layout. Keep up the good work. Hopefully won't be to expensive to post to the uk.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Jimmy
It's actually printed in Holland. The postage and packing is a flat US$9.50 rate per order regardless of whether you buy a truck load or a match stick. I have to pay $US19.50 per order to have it delivered to New Zealand, but I have to say delivery is fast, track and traced so I know exactly where it is at any time and very well packed in little cardboard boxes with lots of bubble wrap and those plastic bag things full of air.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
I will build up a order list before I order then the more the cheaper!

Keep designing especially furniture as I detail the inside of all my buildings do the table and sofas is on my list to order!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=981]jimmy styles[/user] wrote:

Keep designing especially furniture as I detail the inside of all my buildings do the table and sofas is on my list to order!

I thought it was only me that was interested in the furniture. It was one of the first things that I made to place inside a building on my layout. I was planning on some kitchen stuff next in that line.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
[user=1043]Wizmacnz[/user] wrote:
[user=981]jimmy styles[/user] wrote:

I thought it was only me that was interested in the furniture. It was one of the first things that I made to place inside a building on my layout. I was planning on some kitchen stuff next in that line.

Sounds like a good idea. Have you thought about, fireplaces and possibility a grandfather clock bet they would look great with this level of detail.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Jimmy

Here is the first rough of a fireplace. I need to model the whole chimney breast if I create something close to realistic depth in the grate. 

I think the grandfather clock idea will have to wait for higher resolution printers. I could model the shape of the clock leaving it for someone to paint on the detail, but then Scalescenes do a clock that is rectangular, but would probably look better than a hand painted printed clock.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Funny you should say that Terry, because I had thought I could probably model a grandfather clock with a closed case (no weights or pendulum on show) and just model a circular face for a printed clock face to be applied.

Does anyone have a copy of that sheet so I could know what diameter the clock faces are? 

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Latest addition are 3D printed windows.

This is in the shop in one size only at present. 900 wide x 1200 high (approx 12 x 16mm).  But I can make them any size you want. It's a parametric model so it's just a two minute job to type in the size required and upload it to Shapeways.  If anyone is interested and wants any particular sizes just let me know. 

This item really benefits from Shapeways bulk discounting. 1 off is US$2.75, bulk pack of 10 is US$6.00. Actually I think its more that single small items are penalised by the systems pricing structure.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.