What camera do you use?

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Bob wrote about batteries for a Sony camera
Don't know what type you use

Bob, I used to use rechargeable ones I got here in Spain having misplaced the original ones - hence I was only getting a few photos before they were duff. On my last trip to the UK I bought some Sony ones and these are much better but I still only get about 20 photos between recharges. Perry's last post explains an awful lot. :shock:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Yes Les, we live and learn. :roll:

Posted
Rating:
Very useful Perry, I'd wondered about that.
The light goes on… although a little dim  :D

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It's probably those rechargeables, Marty!!!  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
I actually got my digital camera wrong.  It's a Canon Powershot A95.

Posted
Rating:
Sam
Guest user
Now how did this thread pass me by..!?  :shock:

I use a Canon EOS-400D with 18-55mm & 55-200mm lenses. I also have a range of filters, mainly Polarizers, Diffusers and Neutral Graduated Density filters (otherwise known as NGrads  :wink: ).

Not strictly for model railways but all my general photography.  :)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I use an Olympus 300 digital for ease.

It's the first digital I bought, about 5 years old,  and it's now obsolete !!
Not a particularly good camera by todays standards but it's adequate for what I need nowadays.

It's great for "point and shoot" photography and for e-mailing to family around the globe.  I do have a few "film" cameras left over from a previous life as an advertising photographer - a brace of Nikons and a Mamiya medium format which I can't bring myself to get rid of but hardly ever use them now except for "special occasions".  Film is just too expensive and inconvenient.

Digital is so easy, cheap and essential for sending stuff via computer.  I never thought digital would come close to film in terms of quality and flexibility but now admit that, for most situations, film has "had it's day". :cry:  :cry:

I would like to invest in a digital SLR but can't really see the point for what I use photography for now.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
DW
Guest user
I use a Canon EOS 40D and a Canon EOS 350D with the following lenses:

200-400 L IS USM - my airshow lens (and some wildlife
24-105 L IS USM - my all round lens on my 40D
17-85 IS - my general all round lens on my 350D
60mm EFS Macro - macro (used for close ups of models amongst other things)
70-200 F4 L - a smaller lighter telephoto
Plus some other lenses not used much at all now.

Used for all types of hobby photography including numerous photos of steam on both the main line (lucky being near - just about next to - a feeder line for the Settle Carlisle and within a reasonably short drive of Ribblehead Viaduct and Hellifield) and preserved lines.

Cheers
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
DW
Guest user
Also meant to say that between Model Railways and photography I think I am going to be bankrupt soon! :shock:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Les, I have the DSC W5 and use rechargeables all the time and it is great.  In fact it takes great shots of everything, except my layout  :roll: , actually I have found that the flash, no matter how I set it, is way too intense for layout shots.

Until I win the lottery it will have to do tho'
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Yeh love the camera Lawrence its just that I dont take many photos and every time I leave batteries in the camera, the next time I come to use them they are flat.

I know you should remove them but sometimes this is only a week or two. Am I asking too much?   :oops: I ask that question genuinely because I'm useless at photography (thats why I wanted a simple point and shoot job). :?  :?

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I can go a couple of months without using the camera Les (the batteries stay in) and the batteries are fine, I would suggest that, if it really is eating batteries as such a rate, there is a fault with the camera.

Might be worth an email to Sony just to ask the question
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
I agree lawrence.

The last time I was in the UK, I went into the Sony Centre in St Albans and for all they knew I might just have had a conversation with a brick wall. :x  :x  :x

I think I'll try an email :?

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Strange, I thought it was just me. I get the same response in Dixons, PC World, Curry's et al. In fact I seem to spend half my time in the UK talking to brick walls. Very edifying. :roll:  :wink:

Posted
Rating:

Les said

Yeh love the camera Lawrence its just that I dont take many photos and every time I leave batteries in the camera, the next time I come to use them they are flat.

Are your batteries the rechargeable kind? If so, then those type batteries will naturally drain as time goes by. The older the battery gets the faster the drain. Only solution is to buy a new set and start the process over.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Wayne Williams said

Les said

Are your batteries the rechargeable kind? If so, then those type batteries will naturally drain as time goes by. The older the battery gets the faster the drain. Only solution is to buy a new set and start the process over.

Wayne

But this is my point Wayne, I am using the same 2 sets of rechargeables that I have had since I got the camera (over 2 years ago) and don't have a problem.

As for staff in the likes of PC World, Currys etc, they are there to sell and not help.  On a couple of occasions I have had a quiet word with a potential customer when the salesman was away, especially when I see someone being pressured into buying a top end £2k video & games machine when all they want to do is type letters and go on the www

I once asked a spotty yoof in currys if, instead of taking the free £500 software bundle that came with the pc, could he just knock £500 of the price and the shop could keep the software.  He offered me £50 discount!!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
OK, I have read all of the above.

Can an "expert"  offer advice on the suitability of a Fuji Finepix 2600Z  2 mega pixel camera for model photography.

It has been loaned to me on a semi-permanent basis ( the owner could not find the manual or software disc yet so I have e-mailed Fuji to see if they are still available)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Sol said

OK, I have read all of the above.

Can an "expert"  offer advice on the suitability of a Fuji Finepix 2600Z  2 mega pixel camera for model photography.

It has been loaned to me on a semi-permanent basis ( the owner could not find the manual or software disc yet so I have e-mailed Fuji to see if they are still available)

Sol, see the link  below for the manual :

Support | Fujifilm [United States]

If it doesnt work i can email the pdf manual to you.

Darren

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Darren, downloaded manual OK, the software/drivers slowed down so I will try that later.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The software drivers could not download - timed out so I will have to wait until Fuji get to work on Monday.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.