Bashed Metcalfe P203 pub kit, N gauge version

Posted
Rating:
#158422 (In Topic #8925)

Newer version of the kit, now with corner shop and in stone

Not up to Doug's standard by any means, more like variations on a theme!

The current N gauge version comes as a twin kit of pub and shop with options for both, you could probably manage 2 shops or 2 pubs; however both are oriented for the same corner, might have been better if one was a mirror image.  i chose to build the shop "as intended", but to build the pub straight and fitting it to the end of the shop, I later decided to add a pair of (nearly) matching terrace houses to fill the available space.

To build the pub in a straight line the front was no problem, however there was a gaping hole at the back and I was short of an end too. So I scanned the front into my photo app, did a bit of cut and paste, then did a print and cut with the cutter-plotter and proceeded to build; another problem reared its head, not enough windows of the correct types, so after some thought I used the two bay windows in the kit  one for ground floor the other for upstairs, that solved 2 windows, I next took the alternative pub front and used that on the ground floor, 3 more windows sorted, Used 4 of the alternative windows above that, which left me with 3 for the single cottage on the end, sifted through the spare windows box and came up with 3 that fitted. The other new bit was a roof, again a scan copy/paste job. That got me to this stage (chimneys, guttering etc still to be done)

The Kibri house alongside looked somewaht out of place which led to the decision to extend the terrace. For this I ordered some Metcalfe stone card and using the previously scanned pub wall did some more cut and paste and cutter=plotter work. This being the result

Note to self, don't try applying down pipes so late at night! Redo like soon!!

Enhancement 1, Window boxes, bit of "U" section plastic, paint to match pub front, run a bead of superglue gel along the bottom and add flock and scatter, then add blobs of different colour acrylic for flowers, tweak so some bits hang down.

Enhancement 2 (please ignore the drainpipes) more plants and a shed in the back yard; as the yard is paved the plants are in tubs, the 2 in the pub yard have white metal milk churns , hole drilled in the bottom, turned upside down and a couple of "branches" from a disassembled chinese ebay tree stuck in, next door has a tub made from plastic tubing, filled with modellers putty and more hacked tree bits planted and tweaked in the hope that it looks like a rambling rose.

Dustbins "out the back". Got a couple of bikes to go there as well.

Scale Link gate posts and a Ratio gate, maybe the steps need a rethink.

A bit magnified to compare Metcalfe kit on the left with the scratch built "copy", window frames are slightly modified Peedie Models etched brass, lower cross bar cut out,  window lintels and cills cut from a strip of white self adhesive vinyl.

The camera shows up a load of imperfections that need attantion, but my dad always said " the man who never made a mistake never made anything". There's also the saying "we learn from our mistakes"  as you can see I'm still learning. Hopefully though maybe a few useable ideas.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That looks really good Mike. I think it's good to see "bashed" kits, gives a layout individuality.

I'm thinking of combining 2 Metcalf church kits so that I have a double nave with the one tower

A bit like this one

Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Posted
Rating:
Mike,

Apart from the aforementioned downpipes and a tidy up needed on those lintles ( a two second job with a blade) i'd be happy with that on NE.  A good example of kit bashing that has all come together very nicely indeed.

Great work, keep on learning!

Cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.