Bashed Metcalfe P203 pub kit

Posted
Rating:
#76406 (In Topic #4298)

'It's Muvver wouldn't know it.....'

Take one P203 Metcalfe pub kit, probably 5-10 years old, and challenge yourself to make a fully swinging 4 mm pub sign complete with hinges, some Scalescenes roof tiles, reference photos of roof lichen from YMR, invent 'Unicorn Breweries' because the successors to Tivvy Ales,Starkey Knight Ford Tiverton can't won't reply for copyright permissions and so……

The Locomotive Inn!

All for the sake of the sign, which I made by copying a painting twice [front and back] and then cut out an identically sized piece of paper in which I cut two slits to take the 'tails' of two minute eyes twisted up from unravelled picture framers wire of about 6 thou diameter. I super glued the tails into the slits then glued the two pictures either side of the card holding the wire 'eye-bolts'.

Then I drilled two No. 79 [14 thou] holes in a length of 1 mm square plastic [sorry, plastic, I know….] looped a length of of the same wire through, trapping the eye-bolts with a dab of super glue. I drilled another hole in a piece of 20 thou sheet [to stick to the wall], sharpened the end of the first bit and MEKed it in at right angles before heating up the tip of a 1 mm strip of the 20 thou and bending it with suitably warmed miniature round nosed pliers to make the 'bracket' bit.

Now for the clever bit!  Knowing full well that a little plastic sign bracket is BOUND to get knocked and broken, I used my latest discovery to make the back of the sign like a 'Post-it' note. By applying a generous coat of the 'Bostik' glue pen shown below to the back of the bracket and allowing it to dry thoroughly, it becomes just like a 'Post-it' and can be a taken off and re-applied! Might be good for little people, scenic items on platforms, barrow crossings covering baseboard joints etc etc…….

Any way, hope you like the 'Locomotive Inn', of about 1930-40s complete with glazed tiled plaques promoting the beers. The roof has yet to be stuck down, I'm still undecided on the choice of chimney and whether or not to fit barge boards.

Doug

PS It's pretty rough place, full of railway enthusiasts.

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
:doublethumb indeed :exclam
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant, Doug:thumbs:thumbs  Using your method I might have to have a "Shunter's Return" on my layout:lol:

Posted
Rating:
That looks superb Doug. :thumbs:thumbs

I'm just about to finish the current Metcalfe pub but it doesn't look anything like as good as yours.  I've never seen that kit - mine's part of the pub and shops low relief set.  Wonder why they stopped producing that one. :roll::roll:

Both the roof and the weathered rendered end wall look very effective and the sign is a little masterpiece. :cheers:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
a nioe job Doug, the render and signage  really set it off, but i particularly
like the new lintels what a diff they make.

:doublethumb:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Super Model Doug! I am glad my version is tucked away out of sight in a corner.

What did you use for all the signs on the walls……did you design them and print them off the computor……or?

The roof and moss etc alone make the model stand out from all the run of the mill units.

Kind Regards

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Beautiful. I love all the signs and the growth on the roof.
I'll be on the lookout for a glue pen, too.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Magic, Bravo sir.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant mate.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Tick, VG.  Elephant stamp.  "Doofer is doing well this year."  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Great stuff !

I think the signs are brill. 

We lived in our pub for four months thinking it was haunted untill we realised the hinges on the sign were making the unearthly noise:mutley

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Superb  :Happy   :cheers
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Great job Doug :doublethumb:doublethumb

'Kev

Posted
Rating:
Hullo, thanks for all your encouragement, yet another power cut this morning. They are putting in new mains for a nearby police station and so far they have cut through our water pipe, then when repairing that they recently 'excavated' our gas pipe and we were evacuated for 6 hours by the fire brigade as the broken pipe was literally 20ft from our front wndows, now they have knocked down a power pylon a little way away…..

AAaaagh!

Peter - I've never seen that kit - mine's part of the pub and shops low relief set.  Wonder why they stopped producing that one.

There is a new one in production at the moment, the old one was really awful and didn't do them any favours, I'm sure.

John - What did you use for all the signs on the walls……did you design them and print them off the computor…..

Yup, I doodled away in Microsoft Photodraw and printed them off on satin photopaper to look like the raised tile decoration I have been looking at the new pub link I posted to Portsmouth pubs.

Owen - the new lintels what a diff they make.

Thanks, Owen, I used cartridge paper that I lightly washed with diluted burnt sienna watercolour…..good tip, when doing this to a kit, use the pushed out window cut-outs as size gauges to cut the width of the little bit that over hangs inside, cut it  bit to long inside and cut it off from the inside when the PVA is dry, i.e. do them before the windows.

Mike - the growth on the roof.

That's burnt sienna applied in two goes, first diluted and dabbed on with the side of a soft No. 6 watercolour brush and allowed to dry, then more b'sienna mixed with a little chrome yellow in a thicker mix and 'splattered' on with SWMBO's toothbrush by flicking the bristles with a toothpick. [Best to practice on a bit of scrap paper first, you know, M.I.L.'s photo….]

Max - Elephant stamp.

Max, wosser  elephant stamp? :lol:

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
I usually just take the kit out of it's packet and build it !!  Obviously it pays to study what you've got in front of you first and do some planning before opening the glue pot !!!   :oops::oops::oops::oops:

I suppose when I've made a few and the assembly becomes familiar, then I can start to bash them about a bit.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Very very nice Doof

Like the homemade signs a lot, they make all the difference, have you used Scalescenes tiles for the roof, or has somebody already asked this question.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you A&P, yes, scalescenes slates, they are abit big I think because this model seems to be more HO than OO.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Doug.  The highest praise we could get at Primary School was when we got work back and the teacher had written in red biro, a tick, the letters, "VG" (very good), and in exceptional cases, she would use a rubber stamp of a koala - or in super exceptional cases - an elephant!  Then some special comments for our Mum. 

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
aaaw he still remembers his icle school days :pathead

:mutley:pedal:cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Doug  the toothbrush spatter effect is brilliant. I must try it.  This is the first time I've wanted more pics of the M.I.L.  :mutley

Mike
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.