Barnstable

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

One station of the Devan & Summersett

Very Nice building Ron

It doesn't look like card and paper, it looks more like plastic, very nice, just wish that you would spell Barnstaple correct :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nahhh ……. we'd have to teach him to spell Taunton and Hemyock as well ;-)   

Just caught up with your layout Sol and I do like the developments especially that brick-faced platform you have under way.  Much less obviously a download than one or two going the rounds.

The thick MDF looks to be very robust indoors as well; I tried it outside only to discover how quickly it warped :???:  All the remaining exposed MDF is now coming off the layout for that reason.

Keep up with the good work and ignore all those who claim to be locals and able to spell proper :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Ron, I really like your low relief warehouse.  It's given me lots of ideas for odd corners that will need to be filled.  I've not made platforms before, so pleased you have a few pics showing construction..:thumbs

Hadn't even noticed the 'stable' v 'staple', but you call it whatever you want.  It's your railway…:mutley
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
'Ere, never you mind the 'staple and 'stable brigade, make sure there is a barn AND a stable nearby and you'll have got it spot on! :thumbs

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Thanks fellows.

The spelling is designed so that nit-pickers have no leg to stand on when they say Taunton, etc was never like that so I can come back & say this is my Tawnton, etc.

The printed papers- while Scalescenes is good, I found that the USA software from Evans Designs such as Brickyard has 20 basic brick/stone printable in any scale that you desire like 1:98 or 1:31

This is another station building by my mate using Brickyard paper for the walls.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You make sure you look after that mate of yours, Sol, he's a gem. Your papers look good, too, and have that interesting look of being 'uncommon' in appearance.

Doug

Got to go, I have an appointment with a duck-breast and a bottle of St Emilion, a sort of late New Year's Day lunch after our gas supply failure. I may be gone for some time…..:lol::lol:

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
If anyone wants to buy the software it is very reasonably priced at $15, and you will easily get your money back. It can be found here :

Brickyard

Brickyard Brick Paper Software       20 patterns you can print in Any Scale!     PC Software for Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11

*** This Item is currently Out Of Stock - We are doing updates on the Software Delivery Methods - Please Check Back in a week to see the Status ***

Print your Own Realistic Miniature Bricks

Print all of the brick paper you need for your model train, doll house, school project, or any diorama project.

brick for models

This is the opening screen where you pick your scale:

If your model scale is not listed, type it in the "other" box

Then click the pattern you want and print brick in your scale!

brickscreen

Here are the 20 brick patterns available in Brickyard

• Brick: both weathered and newer bricks
  • a great adobe pattern
  • 2 field stone patterns
  • a cinder block
  • field brownstone,
  • grey cut stone
  • and brown cut stone.
page setup brick

You can change orientation from portrait to landscape, or choose larger paper if your printer supports it:

We print all of our designs using an ordinary Inkjet Printer and we recommend Matte Photo Paper for best image quality.

What can you use brick paper for?

for Building Walls, Stone Retaining Walls, Brick Sidewalks, Tunnel Portals, Bridges and Bridge Abutments, Archways, Patios, Foundations, Public Parks, and any other area in your Layout, Dollhouse, or diorama, or scene that needs some miniature bricks or stones. Your own ideas!

Choose your scale, or choose a custom ratio.
Brickyard is great for N HO S O OO G, and 1:12 brick.
Brickyard is also used a lot for 1:144 1:35 1:72 and 28mm modeling.
Use these miniature brick papers for any modeling ratio from 1:12 to 1:220

Better Together!

Brickyard is compatible with Model Builder. The bricks in Brickyard will import into Model Builder as another palette to work with.

brickyardinmb
There is no overlap of brick patterns in Model Builder brick and Brickyard Brick.

View

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Downloading it now [Thanks Lesley  :cool: ]
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Mike, I also purchased from the same firm Window Designer & Model Builder. In fact I have so many paper buildings that I can build, that I will run out of room to instal them.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
With the front platform wall all "stoned", time for the edging;

Created in a spreadsheet with slabs 10 x12 mm, very light grey back ground to be glued to cardboard.

Cut to size - the card is 1mm x 6mm

Wrapped around & glued like Scalescenes products

Glued to platform front

Now to finish the edging.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Getting close to doing platforms for Henllan myself Ron, very useful topic, watching with interest and looks good so far.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Looking good, Sol.  Nearly time for another visit to make sure you're not cutting photos out of Model Railroader - again :Red Card

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=2]Robert[/user] wrote:
If anyone wants to buy the software it is very reasonably priced at $15, …..

I was hoping to find somewhere I might buy a duck-breast with a bottle of St. Emillion ;-).  Sounds extremely appetising.

A great "How to" build platforms from Sol which might need to go in our index.  Thank you.  :cheers
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thanks for showing us how your platforms are put together Ron. The brick facing and edging you have applied looks really good.

If you have curved sections, is it a case of making a straight strip and then cutting vee's on the inside edge or will you cut each stone individually?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=396]gordons19[/user] wrote:
……….
If you have curved sections, is it a case of making a straight strip and then cutting vee's on the inside edge or will you cut each stone individually?

Gordon, previously I cut out individual slabs, the next time I have a curved Platform , l I think  the Metcalfe slabs will be used. I will have such a beast on the main station Tawnton & not looking forward to that.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
All platforms for Henllan will be curved…  I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Mine will also be curved so it'll be interesting comparing your two Sol and Marty………:roll::roll::roll::roll::lol::lol::lol:

I had always planned to have curved platforms but my first effort completeyl overlooked this fact !!  Fortunately, some of the trackwork left a lot to be desired so up it came - now I can do it properly. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Barnstable platform edging finished, now into slabs using Metcalfe, self adhesive but a bit of PVA holds them down.

This amount done so far.

A bit of cutting for the curved ramp & odd pieces

When completed, a good clear gloss varnish again on the stone walls really to stop ballast moisture from creating problems.

A light weathering using powders all over wil then be done, then a matt spray varnish over the entire platform.

It will take me another few hours just to lay the rest of the paving slabs , but got nothing else better to do :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Nice slabs Ron… and you've laid them yourself!

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I have a backyard he can do when he's finished there :mutley
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.