Barnstable

Posted
Rating:

One station of the Devan & Summersett

Nice work, Sol, it's come together very well indeed. Are you going to ballast with the platform edge in place?

I only ask as the water/p.v.a. mix could 'wick' up that excellent Brickyards paper and spoli it if it's not very well sealed…….

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Nice call Doof.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
Nice work, Sol, it's come together very well indeed. Are you going to ballast with the platform edge in place?

I only ask as the water/p.v.a. mix could 'wick' up that excellent Brickyards paper and spoil it if it's not very well sealed…….
Yes Doof, to be ballasted in place & I will give it another coat of spray before I do it. In fact I will go out & do it now while it is nice weather. Just after 4.30PM & just over 20c (68F)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
… and that's mid-winter!

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
I'm very impressed Ron. :thumbs:thumbs

Some great modelling / adapting on that goods shed - I really do like the stone platform front. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Marty - … and that's mid-winter!

wish it was here!

This must be the hottest day yet here, it's showing 94* F, even on the thermometer on the north facing garage wall that NEVER sees the sun………phew!

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
From a place where it sometimes reaches 120F I can only empathise with your 94.  It can get too hot for modelling comfort!

Time for the cold drinks, feet up and if possible a cooling dip in the pool or an ocean. :cool wink
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You're right Doug - it's been pretty hot this week.  Going out of the house was a bit like stepping into an oven - I noticed on "Meteo" that some places had seen 40C today.   Apparently next week is forecast to be cooler but I do hope that isn't the end of summer.

I should imagine our friends in Spain are probably frying just now and as for Rick's 120F - I hope that's a dry heat Rick otherwise I'd lie down and die - heat I can manage, humidity is definitely a no-no for me.

Last edit: by Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Come back home lads

It's only ever around 19/20 here, might put on a jumper soon !
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yes Alan - the joke we have with my Mum up in Yorkshire.  She says "It's been a glorious day dear" to which Liz and I reply "oh yes - 66 and sunny !!!!"

No,  on reflection, I think we'll just continue our suffering out here. :cheers:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
120F (or around 49C) is experienced on a few days most summers in the inland and desert areas not, however slightly, affected by a maritime influence.

Those temperatures are reached when the north wind blows dry heat down over us at up to gale force.  Wen that happens the humidity drops from a typical 40 - 50% to as low as 3%.

Many places record well over 50C in the open sun which is around 122F and unofficial recordings of up to 56C (133F) are claimed for 7th February (Black Saturday) this year when the biggest bushfires started.

Barnstable would cop some of those extremes as the air temperature in South Australia can be at least as high as it is here.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Now that trackwork alterations have been completed after a couple of operating sessions to find bugs, now back to scenery ( intermixed with updating control panels) so Barnstable is first cab off the rank now.

I was going to do the L+S Doors warehouse but decided to do the platform first so below is the first photo & it will an ongoing process.

12mm MDF about 1m ( 3'3") in length - then to have some 4mm Balsa underneath to get the height almost bang on then the card top.

The station building is one my mate did not want so he modified slightly to fit - made from balsa & card.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ron what's planned for that nice little drop-off between the two lines?
 I like the building

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yes Ron - a neat little station building.  Interesting concept re the platform.  I'd never thought of using MDF and topping it with card. :roll::roll:  You can make virtually any shape and size of platform that way. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
This is the station building close up

The drop-off between upper & lower - I plan to use stone wall & some sloping terrain.

Using MDF means that at  least the platform is level - in previous platforms with balsa/card, getting all pieces the same dimension was not the easiest.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Interesting thread Ron……..just discovered it. I will look forward to your account of building the scalescene factory……I have downloaded it but have not plucked up enough courage to start it yet!

Kind Regards

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Coming on 'andsome Ron.  Are they uncouplers at the far end of the loop?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=200]Christrerise[/user] wrote:
…  Are they uncouplers at the far end of the loop?

Yes Chris, the only two on the layout as all other locations are reachable.

John, yes it will be next with step by step stuffups included
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Platform ramp now the height has been achieved.

a couple of shots showing the stone wall supporting the platform - paper by Brickyard - a USA software package. This pattern matches the platform on my goods shed early in the thread.

Platform edging after all the walls finished & for the main surface, I found a packet of Metcalfe Paving Slabs - but I am getting ahead of myself as usual.

When finished, it will be sprayed with matt varnish again ( the paper sheets have been sprayed once already) then glued down in a couple of spots.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
like the brickwork,not so artificial looking as some, I did most of my platforms
with wood but in the loft they warped,shame.

:thumbs:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.