00 Gauge - Charde

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Another station on the Devan and Summersett

Trying to locate photos of trucks that carried cattle to loading docks in the UK not easy.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
A few on here Sol.

Livestock trailer truck, 147 ads of second hand livestock trailer truck for sale

Whilst the truck itself may be new, the container hasn't changed that much over the years except they're now made out of aluminium rather than wooden planks.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Here's a close-up of an aluminium one.  It's mounted on a flatbed truck when in use.

Just substitute the flat aluminium for tongued and grooved timber, and you've gone back 30 or 40 years …………..

Or - just found this page -there's a few oldies on here:

The TruckNet UK Drivers RoundTable • View topic - CATTLE HAULAGE 1940-1950 SOMERSET

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Thanks Peter, I maybe able to adapt that Walthers kit.
I too just found that Planet Trucks site after doing some revised Googling.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
OK, basically finished ( just waiting on the truck)

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Looks good, Sol.   :thumbs

The truck will be along soon, I'm sure.  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Great progress Ron. This might do the trick (second truck down), suitably weathered?

http://www.hattons.co.uk/products/category-base-toys-00-scale

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Bob, would they be used for cattle or just horses? Though I could use both & change them around!

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
In fact I ordered one plus a few other road vehicles !!

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Close enough for a cattle truck I reckon. See this view:

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38084

Bob

Posted
Rating:
:It's a no no:It's a no no:It's a no no:It's a no no

Sorry Bob - thart's a horse box - not a cattle truck ……………..

The  main difference is the ventilation although, whilst you can't see it, the insides are about as similar as the LNER is to the GWR …………:roll::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You could cut some extra vents into it Sol without too much difficulty then it would do the job.  As I say, other than the vent slots, they're very similar.

The "twin rows" of vents are there because very often, there was a double deck inside - mainly for transporting the likes of sheep and pigs on two levels (not both in the same lorry - is was illegal to mix livestock types in one vehicle !!!).

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I agree Peter, but if you look at the second picture in the link I sent Ron you will see no vents - unless they is fresian horses

:hmm

I think that most cattle were in fact herded along the road to the cattle pens by local farmers.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
OK Bob - I know when I'm beaten …………….:cry::cry::cry:

I suspect that is a horse box used by a pedigree breeder to take his prize bull or cow along to an agricultural show rather than a "cattle transporter" in the accepted sense.

It's certainly a horse box - the give-away is the lack of side vents and the small "hay door" at the front.  That's where the grooms keep a bale of hay and all their spit and polish stuff.  I'm not a horse man at all but I was both a cattle and pig farmer way back in the 1960's ……………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I think you are correct Peter. It seems that many examples are little more than timber slatted sides, but the bespoke vehicles are just as you describe. I didn't realise you were a farmer. We sold off our pigs last year and have changed over to sheep farming. 

Posted
Rating:
[user=11]Novice[/user] wrote:
……………………………………….. I didn't realise you were a farmer. We sold off our pigs last year and have changed over to sheep farming.
Isn't Monrovia a little hot for pigs and sheep ………………..? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where do you farm Bob ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Not wishing to steal Ron's thread much more, but we have some fields in Bedfordshire. For a few years we were breeding pigs, Lops and Saddlebacks, but the returns were not good.  So a couple of years ago we moved into sheep, rare breeds (Shetland and Southdowns) again. With the spring lambs we have about 200. My son in law and daughter run the business, but it is great to join in when I get home. We have just had a lot of fun moving the sheep to higher ground as the meadows have been flooded.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Final post so Sol can have his thread back …………………..

Rare breeds are (IMHO) fun (and EXTREMELY tasty) but, unless you can get a premium for your produce, they're unfortunately,  not very economical in today's market.  They simply don't produce enough quickly enough and cheaply enough.  The housewives and supermarkets make sure of that …………..:twisted::twisted:

I had around 100 Large White X Landrace sows (all on concrete :oops:) producing pork and bacon in Yorkshire in the 60's and 70's but pre-college,  trained on a mixed dairy farm with 120 milking fresians rearing male calves for beef …………fun days but all good things come to an end. :cry:

My brother is still in the pig industry but he manufactures buildings …….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
The trucks to carry stock have not arrived yet & while I still have a bit to do with the Chair Co site, I have now started on a Farm & Fuel Supply depot which will be alongside this track

The end closest to the camera will have a building loosely based on this one

but an end loading platform, slightly longer & built with brick & a tiled roof. Tomorrow after glue has dried, I can show the basic walls, etc.

At the other end will be tanks for Diesel Fuel.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
The bits

the size of the roof, windows & the one on LHS glued onto card to allow to be recessed into the hole (small window still to be done)platform at one end,  roll up doors; floor to be measured to fit in.

The windows created from Model Builder, this clear perspex glued on top of the paper printout.

Now to start putting it all together, then being a brickie!

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Slowly coming together

Ron
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.