Early construction of a simple 00 garage layout

Fear not Shaun - we all have broad shoulders.  :cheers

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
No apologies needed Shaun.It's a Marmite problem.Sorry Max, Vegemite to you. :thumbs

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Don't eat yellow snow!
Not only has it snowed across most of the country but it appears to have snowed over Teasel bay as well.

Building up the scenic area with scrap extruded polystyrene.  

I have found it quite nice to work with, a little dusty but I do most of the cutting outside where it is well ventilated.

First picture showing the how the upper layer will look cutting though the country side.  The top layer will run trains from 90's-now.  The track used are old bits of flexi-track I use to check before committing with the new Peco Code75.

Last edit: by TeaselBay

Posted
Rating:
Been too cold to go out in the garage in the past week so I've been doing some painting indoors.  
I started by spraying the standard Hornby footbridge base with a matt black.

The plastic is quite shiny and unlikely for enamel to hold, I found some of my wife's chalk paint.  It holds very nicely and gives the plastic a bit of bulk which I think reflects a painted iron look.

The handrails and main braces I used Humbrol 100 (red brown).  All that I need to do now is to dull up the walkway to show ware and add some rust powder.

The far side of the bridge will be embedded inside the hillside so doesn't need painting at the moment.  I am quite happy with how this turned out.

I have moulded an extra bit of cliff to test some painting techniques.  I washed the plaster with a watered down dark grey mix.

I brushed over with a light grey and then some white.

I am happy with the grey and the light grey brush but I think I need to improve the white dusting as it looks a little heavy.  Any hints or suggestions would be greatly received  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
A small update to show progress on Teasel Bay.  As you can see I've started painting the cutting face, so far with a dark base.  Next will be a lighter gray/brown over the outcrops.

I've lightly weathered the track and started ballasting.  Here you can see a Adams Radial LSWR 415 class 488 in the distance approaching the tunnel.

Posted
Rating:
A quick update on Teasel Bay's progress.  Despite the warm dry weather, bushes and weeds have been sprouting up along the side of the railway.

"Teasel Bay at sunset"

Starting to look a little more real, any comments, hints or tips would be appreciated.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Mmm.  Very nice.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
I like the rust colour of the track Chris - what colour is it ?

Those bushes will need to be watched in the autumn - could create a fire hazard for the kettles ………………….. :lol: :lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Chris - great to see the progress you have made, and loads of lovely things coming along.  I like what you have done with the footbridge - chalk paint was a stroke of genius I may have to borrow!  Looking forward to following your progress further.
Regards
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.  Have you removed house now?   Best wishes.  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I like the rust colour of the track Chris - what colour is it ?

Those bushes will need to be watched in the autumn - could create a fire hazard for the kettles ………………….. :lol: :lol:
It’s one of Woodland scenic’s ‘rusty rail’ pens. Where as I like the colour I’m not a fan of the pen applicator. I think I’ll just try and match it and paint for the next bit. 

The chalk paint works really well as it seems to stick to anything. I also like the way it adds some bulk to the bridge, it makes it look like it’s had many layers of paint slapped on top. 

Petermac: I’ll be sure to keep a close eye on the bushes in the autumn when they start to drop :-)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Nope.  Still grinding through the process, Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris,
Like Pete I like the track colour and also the ballast - in addition to the other scenic work which looks very impressive.

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
[user=540]gdaysydney[/user] wrote:
Hi Chris,
Like Pete I like the track colour and also the ballast - in addition to the other scenic work which looks very impressive.
Thank you.  The ballasting tutorial came from Rick of Penhayle: http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=6083&forum_id=6

Posted
Rating:
Here we see Paul admiring the views during his stroll across a newly opened area of the countryside. 

Finally added a blend of greens through to dead grass up the hillside.  Quite happy with that as it is the first time I've used static grass. Below is the hillside from the other side to show the blends.  Just need a few bushes and maybe some sheep, oh and some fencing!

A little down the line the workmen have been busy building a new signal box but they seem to have stolen the sign from "March West Junction" oops….

…and a little further down the line shows the measuring up of Teasel Bay station with a 2-6-4T Fowler just ticking over.

Posted
Rating:
Good steady progress Chris. Looks fine to me and there is nothing that I can suggest at this point in time. Just keep doing what the little voices in your had tell you to do.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Marty :)
Small update tonight, built and painted/weathered a Pillbox which protected Teasel Bay during the Second World War.  Now an unloved structure, which i'm sure in the future will see some youthful evening drinking sessions behind! 

A view up the hill shows the position the Pillbox will eventually take once bedded in. Also painted and placed a old wooden fence protecting walkers on the path from the railway below.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Connor.  The footbridge reminds me of the little devils, that would stand on the bridges waving at the driver, and then either “ Dangle a brick to break the windscreen “ , or just lob stones .  Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Connor.  The footbridge reminds me of the little devils, that would stand on the bridges waving at the driver, and then either “ Dangle a brick to break the windscreen “ , or just lob stones .  Best wishes. Kevin
Hey Kevin, hopefully we won’t have that in Teasel, they are too busy drinking next to the Pillbox!

My names Chris by the way ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris.   Thank you, I am sorry to get your name wrong, the pill box you mention reminds me of youthful adventures but , some persons had a different use for them .   Best wishes. Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.