Posted
Rating:

Early construction of a simple 00 garage layout

that's excellent Chris - how did you paint the sea - it looks so good.  :thumbs

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'm not sure about the "flocking" to TB, Chris….  This is Ramsgate in its heyday!  Will one day be Royal Harbour on the Kent Coast Railway, although perhaps not quite so busy.  You can see the station on the right, after SECR took over running the line - it really is on the sands.

However, Peter is quite right, the sea looks most welcoming and you really have done it so well.

Michael

Last edit: by Headmaster

Posted
Rating:
I like the postcard title "Ramsgate Sands" - there's not a grain of sand visible !!  A Victorian Central Beach, Blackpool methinks ………….!!

A brilliant PC to study all the details Michael.  :thumbs :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
that's excellent Chris - how did you paint the sea - it looks so good.  :thumbs
The sea is resin, so has a blue/green pigment. Under there resin if you look back are some shades from sand to deep sea grey to add depth. It is the resin the adds the sparkle though as when you move around you can see through to the groynes etc which is great. 

Posted
Rating:
[user=1512] :cry:Headmaster[/user] wrote:
I'm not sure about the "flocking" to TB, Chris….  This is Ramsgate in its heyday!  Will one day be Royal Harbour on the Kent Coast Railway, although perhaps not quite so busy.  You can see the station on the right, after SECR took over running the line - it really is on the sands.

However, Peter is quite right, the sea looks most welcoming and you really have done it so well.

Michael
Maybe… but figures are surprising expensive and disappear into the scene. I do get more when I see suitable packs!

Last edit: by TeaselBay

Posted
Rating:
That is very true, Chris…. and not much available for beach scenes either.  I found a shop on Ebay selling figures for £1.99… Scale 3D…. but no beach scenes at all.  I have not purchased from them yet, but I will give them a go at some point to see the quality.  They look good in the photos.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
I've been buying Hardys Hobbies figures. They're cheaper than ModelU but still expensive. I'm in the middle of painting them and going bog eyed, but getting there.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Yes, I've got a few of those, good quality too.  I am given to understand that Modelu are open to suggestions for models to produce, so maybe with summer approaching we should ask for some bikini-clad ladies…. :It's a no no
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Oooh what a good idea. We might have to have a preview.. just to make sure they're suitable of course.  ;-)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1120]peterm[/user] wrote:
Oooh what a good idea. We might have to have a preview.. just to make sure they're suitable of course.  ;-)
Calm down, calm down!!

Posted
Rating:
Another one done and tested. The points inside of the red drawn red lines is all working now. 5 point motors so far. 

Going to slow down on this front a little now as I’ve only a single point motor left, need to get some more cork for the underlay. 

Good fun letting the 08 traverse all the available routes. 

Posted
Rating:
That is looking great Chris.  Is it a bit of nightmare beneath the board, all those motors and wiring?  It looks like it will be great fun to drive the trains around the different options.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
It’s hard not to be. 

Under the board. I’ve not yet insulated the joints before anyone complains!! The thicker bus runs alone the wall with the droppers soldered. Lazily I used the same colour wire for the frogs! 

Posted
Rating:
I have to admire those people that can make a tidy job of wiring. I'm not one of them.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I have to admire those people that can make a tidy job of wiring. I'm not one of them.
likewise & my mates stir me up as I was Telephone Exchange installer in which I had oodles of wires & things had to be neat as a pin.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Playing this being running various trains over the bridge and new junctions. Bit disappointed with how badly the joins seem to lock together. I’m getting about a 30% success rate over the bridge section. I think the issue is the lift out section has a lot of give, so the tracks move out of alignment. 
Going to have to review the lift out bridge and add some way of securing with no movement and probably redo the joins on the bridge. 

On a positive note the junction seemed to work well, with a single derailment on the 156 where the track dipped slightly due to lack of sleepers on the join. Once they are filled hopefully that will be resolved. 

I do like the look of the HST leaving what will be Norcott station. You can see the beach in the distance!

Posted
Rating:
Indeed. I try my best but it gets messy so quickly! 

Posted
Rating:
So it appears that there's at least three of us. Come on all you others, own up.  :)

I have the same problem with my *hinged access bridge. Humidity is the enemy here and we have plenty of that along with huge temperature differences. I've got mine under some sort of control, but unless we use constant air conditioning, I don't think there's a way round it.

*"hinged access bridge" is my registered trade mark.  ;-)

That new track work is looking good, Chris.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
I have a hinged access bridge, I used quality brass hinges and have used those plastic furniture blocks for alignment at the other end, 4 of them on the baseboard frame and single ones that slot between each pair on the access bridge, with door bolts to lock the flap in place so it can't be knocked upwards.

This has worked nicely for alignment, I don't have any problems with derailments and my track is also on a slight curve.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
[user=2057]TeaselBay[/user] wrote:
It’s hard not to be. 

Under the board. I’ve not yet insulated the joints before anyone complains!! The thicker bus runs alone the wall with the droppers soldered. Lazily I used the same colour wire for the frogs! 
Yep, that looks like my wiring too. I really envy those neat underboard layouts that some manage to achieve.

Sorry to hear about the bridging woes.  As my entry to the loft is in the middle of the layout, this is not something I have had to deal with but I am sure it must be something of a nightmare to get consistently right.  Another reason why I will never make an exhibition layout, I'm sure I would never get it to light up accurately.  I hope you resolve it without having to do too much again.

Michael
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.