Teasel Bay

Posted
Rating:

Early construction of a simple 00 garage layout

Wow. Thank you for choosing one of my photos on the homepage. It is very much appreciated :lol:
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris.  A well deserved position on the Homepage, best wishes and seasons greetings Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris. The starter signal near the cabin, is that a Dapol, and how does it stay at clear, without damaging the relay?Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Chris. The starter signal near the cabin, is that a Dapol, and how does it stay at clear, without damaging the relay?Best wishes Kevin 

Kevin, if it is a Dapol - designed to have power on all the time during normal operation but will stay in its last position when signal power is switched off

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you for your reply. Sounds very interesting, but, 16 volts, that’s where things get complicated with so many different voltages. Fifty years ago when I was using a pair of “Duettes “ that wouldn’t have been a problem.I imagined that they would work on a 12 volt supply. But the way things are, I am restricted to a plank and a fiddle yard.   Best wishes and a Happy New Year.   Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Firstly Merry Christmas! I wasn’t expecting any activity on here today! Especially on my thread as I haven’t posted in a while!

Sol is right, it is one of Dapols signals which is connected to the Dapol/TrainTech magic box which connects to the DDC bus. So I didn’t need to worry about anything really, it was connected and working in minutes. 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris. Thank you for your reply. I hope you can spare some time with your family on this Christmas break.Me, I have nothing better to do, I am a “ Stereotypical “ Victor Meldrew Type of character and I am quickly learning how to say “ I Don’t Believe It “ everytime something doesn’t happen or work the way that I expected.
Best wishes Ho, Ho, Ho, Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris.  Now that Christmas is over, I have been looking at some signalling “ inventions “ and IMHO they stink!.There is one famous company, whose name I won’t mention to save any embarrassment, I was viewing a YouTube video this morning, I typed in “ Semaphore Bounce “ and it is true they can make a semaphore bounce, but, and this is a very big but, the proud demonstrator was oblivious of the workings of a semaphore Signal. When the “ stop signal “ was at danger the distant arm which was on the same post, was at clear? That could never happen.
Another gripe off of my chest?   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
I have seen models that bounce. I really like the Dapol signals I have. They are brilliant. One of them has stopped working though, but it’s under warranty so is being replaced :cool:

Not much going on scenery wise, been doing some wiring and installing two Colbolt Digital point motors. Seems to take me an age to get the wiring and everything in the correct place but they are amazing when working. Started adding some grass over the fields. 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris.  The signal manufacturer that I mentioned had nothing to do with Dapol. And the “ stink “ was to do with the way that some manufacturers wrongly believe how they work, but all the time traction current is fed through the running rails there is no alternative.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Hi Chris.  Now that Christmas is over, I have been looking at some signalling “ inventions “ and IMHO they stink!.There is one famous company, whose name I won’t mention to save any embarrassment, I was viewing a YouTube video this morning, I typed in “ Semaphore Bounce “ and it is true they can make a semaphore bounce, but, and this is a very big but, the proud demonstrator was oblivious of the workings of a semaphore Signal. When the “ stop signal “ was at danger the distant arm which was on the same post, was at clear? That could never happen.
Another gripe off of my chest?   Best wishes Kevin 

Kevin, that video was  just showing how the arms bounce and to me, it didn't infer that is what happened in real life !
When we use signals on our rail empires, a huge compromise is used in most cases.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Hi Chris.  The signal manufacturer that I mentioned had nothing to do with Dapol. And the “ stink “ was to do with the way that some manufacturers wrongly believe how they work, but all the time traction current is fed through the running rails there is no alternative.  Best wishes Kevin

Kevin, can you explain what I have highlighted in blue please?

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you. Yes, it is the way that this particular manufacturer set the signals in “ motion “ ? There is this electronic gadget, which I am not familiar with, but I am certain that you and a majority of Modellers are.The signals are controlled by this gadget for obvious reasons ie the running rails feed the traction current. Meaning that the signals could be left to work themselves, with or without the passage of the train through a section.
Fifty odd years ago I had suggested ,among a small group of London Underground Drivers and Guards that Radio controlled trains, if I could figure out how to do it, similar to  R / C aircraft , would be a good idea. Well recently I watched a “ YouTube “ video with a group of enthusiasts that had powered their Locos with batteries . I don’t think that they were worried about Signals? but if I have got it correct, and the battery powers the Loco, then that would leave the running rails free for track circuits Insulated block joints and all. Of course this idea has taken off in the USA.
With the wide open spaces.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Kevin,. virtually in all model rail, traction current is via running rails and you don't have to use traction power for signals, it is an option. Even if the rails carries traction power, they can still be used for signal control using block detection both in DC & DCC and yes USA modellers used such detection back in the 1950's  Twin-T

now back to Teasel Bay

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Very effective Chris

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. I am not criticising any YMRC member especially Chris or yourself. It is the manufacturers who dream up train signal control “ gadgets “that I am highlighting .  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Very effective Chris

Thanks, building up the scenery slowly slowly! 

Kevin as far as I've seen for model railways RC is mainly used on larger scales in garden railways etc. Like you said there are lots of gadgets easier.  Train Tech have a new version of the semaphore controller which you can add a sensor to the track so they automatically turn once the train has passed which is quite smart!  http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/signalling/dc-dcc-semaphore-signalling

Last edit: by TeaselBay

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris. Thank you. Please don’t get me wrong, on my small “ modules/ planks? as to yet, I haven’t got any signals.By the way, I hope you don’t think of me as a thread Highjacker . Unfortunately I cannot remember the company that I have been criticising, but, the way their system works, roughly, they have a bank of gadgets ( for want of a better word ) and they set each of them in motion and on the YouTube video that I was watching, the home/ starter signal was at danger, and the distant signal,
mounted on the same post, below, was clear. Which obviously would not happen on the Prototype. With your chosen brand “ Dapol “ which is perfect, why would you need anything else???  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
I only went in the garage to put away some new wood for platform 2. The sun was in a rare winter position where it enters the garage and hits most of the layout. Didn’t have time for a play but quite like this photo!

Posted
Rating:
"Fabulous…" 

Now the weather is getting a little warmer I can get back in the garage. The fan heater wasn't cutting it with these sub zero temperatures!

Currently building platform No.2 and in between that while sections dry adding a fake connection between the signal box and the signal.  Just sat on top for the moment but getting there.  Also started a scratch built "John" Barrow"man" crossing hence the fabulous.

Simple for some of you experts out there… all learning for me!

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.