:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you gents.  

The "cab ride" has been on my to-do list for some time though I could never justify buying the camera myself for just a few minutes work.  

There's a suggestion afoot that all (or all of those willing) of the RMweb "Down Under Railway Modellers" group have their layouts similarly recorded as in many cases most people are unable to see them in person.

I have identified a few minor spots for attention at some time though as they are not in normal view they are low priority jobs.  

If I get another opportunity I could also cover the bits not already included such as platforms 1 and 4 at Treheligan (and possibly even a trip on the loco-release from platform 1) and - as a couple of others have already done - include a run through the fiddle yard.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Superb video Rick.It made me feel i was actually driving the train.:thumbs

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
We can certainly do that the next time I come over to Penhayle Bay. Just remind me to pack the camera and wagon at the time. :)

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Excellent video, perked up my Monday morning

Posted
Rating:
That was a brilliant Rick……..it was such fun to see all the different cameos and exquisite detailing that I have enjoyed over the years joined together in one very enjoyable video.

I had always sensed that Penhayle Bay was big but had not, until now, appreciated quite how big…..very impressive.

Mrs D, who is normally a little abrupt when I play railway videos, came over and sat enthralled throughout……..now that is quite the achievement:thumbs

Thank you for taking the trouble to put that together

Best wishes

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Thank you John.  Mrs. D. is one of several "significant others" who I have been informed sat through 20 minutes of little trains quite happily.

Have I discovered a secret here?  I'm delighted to have brought such enjoyment to so many.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Just popping in to record my departure for the annual flight home.  With limited internet access at times I may not be particularly active for next few weeks.  If anyone needs me a PM via the board will always reach my inbox.  I promise to leave a few goodies for others after visiting Camborne and Ford ;-)

Play nice until I'm back.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Safe and fruitful trip Rick and make sure you enjoy some pasties!

Bill :)

PS. I've just enjoyed every second of the cab view around your remarkable railway. Superb presentation by you and Jeff and the depth of your attention to detail becomes apparent as one journeys the rails. It's a fascinating and educational trip. I particularly like the incorporation of real back scenes. Thank you for sharing your captivating railway, storyline and passion. It's very believable  :thumbs

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
great stuff Rick.  I always thought your layout was 00  ,But it looks like 0 gouge in the video.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Checking in after a month away during which time I had the great pleasure to have a chat over a cuppa with the "boss", Alan.  Thank you Sir for taking time to dash over to Dawlish - it was certainly worth the effort from my point of view.

I would have to describe the trip as a roller-coaster ride.  

There were highs and lows which included a family wedding and a family death.  There should also have been the family funeral but my father, whose sister passed away, has taken her decline and passing so hard that he himself has become very ill and has been unable to attend to the necessary affairs in a timely manner.  We actually thought at one stage that we would be farewelling both brother and sister but his condition has been stabilised and he was able to stand - briefly and weakly - to farewell me at the door when I left for the return trip down under.

The weather put on her best show for Cornwall, Sussex and London.  The five days during which my Aussie neighbour joined me in Cornwall could not have been more perfect.  Sightly chilly mornings gave way to warm and humid sunny days and left us with memories of stunning clifftop sunsets.

I paid the annual visit to a certain model shop in Camborne though left all the stock for others to enjoy.  There's plenty on order and they have a lovely new commission about to be announced which will also require some investment here.  The only "new" model to come back this time was a second-hand Lima DMU to replace the one I carelessly fried in the sun last summer.  A visit to Hayle MRC Spring show was also enjoyed and yielded some heather from Finishing Touches of Leicester which will be applied to the layout in due course.

Trains are running once again after the main lines were wiped down and the worst of the leaves and cobwebs brushed away.

The only new arrival - though hardly a new model - is the Lima suburban DMU which has entered traffic without any detailing or weathering so far.  Here it catches the sun as it works empty cars to Treheligan to take up branch line duty

And making its first foray up the St. Agnes branch which has a severe gradient.  That was tackled with aplomb and the Lima unit out-performed some more modern units in tackling the hill without a slip.  The Hornby 3-car class 101 unit which is about the same weight and uses something like the same motor won't cope; it has to be reduced to a 2-car or have a bubble-car for assistance as a 4-car or mixed triple.  I think that's the first time I have had anything to say in favour of Lima's pizza-cutter wheels!  

Meanwhile on the main line 50013 leads the "Murphy", the morning Exeter - Penzance stopper which conveyed parcels and passengers and often more vans than seated carriages.

50013 in the sunlight at St. Gunzelas church with a BG parcels van as first vehicle in the train

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Rick, so glad you got home ok, i hope the journey was uneventful.So sorry to hear that you had a family bereavement whilst here but at least you were able to support your Father at that time.Also good news that he is getting better. I too enjoyed our cuppa,it was fantastic to meet a fellow member from so far away,perhaps we can do it again next year if you come over,perhaps over a Doombar or Tribute.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
I think we can safely say that this section has rotted out.

It only took the placing of a carriage on the back siding to cause terminal sag at one spot on the board; the rest I crumbled easily away by hand.  It's caused by the seepage of rainwater between the fence and the plastic membrane behind the backscene.  Something isn't as it should be.  I should be able to remove the sky panel, rectify the problem and then cut out and replace the rotted area of board. The running lines are not affected.

Another spot which always get wet after persistent rain is in the top corner by Wheal Julia mine.  This is rectified by over-painting when dry and making good any lost filler with new.  For now it just looks bad but isn't drastic.

For the first time I have had drips falling from the house fascia above the cliffs causing a small spot of erosion in the plaster-work.  This again is a dry-weather job and won't be a huge problem.   I plan to apply paint and a small patch of rough grass in due course to cover the white bit.

Ah, the joys of playing outside!

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Rick, you will be able to write a book on the  "joys" of modelling outside !

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Indeed Sol!!!

There was supposed to have been a book of sorts by now but I simply don't have the time to devote to it for the moment.  It's reached one completed and two part-written chapters.

One of the intended chapters would discuss the pros and cons of modelling outdoors.  If I did it all again I might at least paint the woodwork as a starting point.  It won't prevent rot but it would have offered a little more protection.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
The postman has been busy this week.

So far I have received my orders for two near half-price Dapol "Western" class locos from DCC Supplies and the 33/1 "Crompton" I ordered from Hattons before Kernow MRC announced their offer on them.  The bargain price on the Westerns was brought to my attention through RMweb; DCC Supplies isn't a place I visit very often so I might have missed out.  The pair includes an additional blue one which will become D1051 "Western Ambassador" but is supplied with D1012 "Western Firebrand" name and number plates.  I already have a maroon D1012 and don't wish to duplicate.  This one will also feature its running number in the headcode boxes as was found on many Western and Hymek locos in their later days.  The other is the first green Western to join my fleet.  Not all ever ran in this colour and it's not one I remember them in on the main line so I haven't bothered until now.  But this offer seemed too good to miss and D1002 "Western Explorer" has arrived at Penhayle Bay.

The Crompton is D6511with pre-TOPS style number and high-level multiple unit jumpers in order to run with the up-coming 4TC units announced by Kernow MRC.  These locos became class 33/1 and TOPS-numbered 33112 is already a part of the fleet here.  I own several 65xx numbered Cromptons but none until now were the pipe-fitted version.

In a big week for rolling stock I have also placed advance orders for one of the 4TC units (in its early all-blue livery matching the D6511 loco number for timeframe) and one of the DJ Models class 71 electrics, E5010 in BR green with full yellow end.  That again looked too good to miss even if it doesn't fit anywhere within my themes.  Those will all be joined by a pair of class 74 electro-diesels also from DJ Models via Kernow MRC and which can also work with the 4TC among other duties.  All of these also match the sole class 73 currently in the fleet in early blue livery thus putting everything into the 1967 - 70 slot which I'm drifting towards as the single period I would choose to pursue modelling in the longer term.

I got a peek at the 4TC in its unpainted sample form and am impressed at the detail and quality though the price has raised a few eyebrows.  I'm afraid we live in a new world now where a 4-car commissioned unit at £269 (for pre-orders) is probably rather a good deal even though it is unmotored.

Green D1002 on a proving trip has had name, number and worksplates added from the supplied bag (the pipework is supplied ready-fitted), has a crew and headcode blinds inserted but as yet lacks the many detail bits which include brake rodding, lifting eyes, cab steps and of course a touch of my weathering.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Hi Rick          Sorry to have missed you at the Hayle show.  Hope you enjoyed your a Philps pasty,  and a few pints of Proper Job and H SD whilst you were in the homeland. 

Posted
Rating:
I did wonder how many friends I might bump into on my relatively unannounced visit to the Hayle show.  The answer was fewer than I expected.

As to the number of Philps pasties and pints of local ale enjoyed - more than expected but never quite enough.  On both counts!

I queued for over half an hour on the Sunday while doing a pasty run for the Trevassack Manor Parc community.  Even that didn't dampen my enthusiasm though it does suggest there's merit in opening Foundry bakery on a summer Sunday as well as East Quay ;-)

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Lovely photos a usual Rick.  Shame about the water ingress, nothing like as bad as the last time ,but a nuisance all the same.
I did wonder if you would meet and be recognized by guys at Hayle who turned out to help us at Caern Brea

Did you manage to visit Phill at Lancing this trip?  He has gone a bit quiet ,hope he is OK.   Loved the cam vidio by the way .  Keep them coming.

reg
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.