Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Looking good Ed, I'd be tempted to add some bracing between the trusses, but I expect you will be adding OHL

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Low trusses Aaron, bit like this.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Railway_bridge_near_the_Saint-Louis_bridge.jpg

Might need two new portals for the ends, but it's going to be over 600mm Catenary span and the longest I have at the moment is just over 500mm, and it does sag a bit.

Track clearances look better.

I need to do some more plate girder sides to finish the approach in the  foreground, but I want to get all the track in place and get some trains  running.

Decided to just use a pluggable terminal strip for power to the bridge for now.

I looked at jack plugs but most seem to be rated at 1 amp, which could  be a bit low if two trains with lights etc were crossing at the same  time, albeit for a very brief period.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
That is fair enough ed, would you be able to pop a train on it for sense of scale? I'm probably thinking that the trusses are taller/further apart than they actual are.

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Good idea Aaron  :thumbs, I don't know what it's going to look like either.

I'll dig something out after lunch.

Ed

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That looks pretty convincing, Ed.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks Max.

Just got to get on with fixing down the track and wiring, but it's an  'orrible dark day here which makes working in the garage a bit more  difficult.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Works for me Ed. 
It's like a little photographic diorama in a way, but serves a purpose on the layout too. Going to paint the sides and legs a colour other than white? Grey, dark green, black?

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Looking good, be great as a photo 'plank' or to just watch the trains go by.

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
That last picture is 'it's good side', looking into the garage.

I normally site the other side, from where I get a fantastic view of ………………………………………

…… tumble drier, chest freezer, step ladder, hoover, laundry basket, etc. etc. etc.  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
One track down on the bridge (but not fully glued yet) and  a bit of temporary wiring to get the first train over as a test.

Short clip from terrible angle, but it was the only place I could find in amongst all the tools etc. to put the camera.

Second train (Class 86) going far to fast but didn't derail ………………………………..

at least not on the bridge  :lol:

[yt]_u7Fw1Vr_YE[/yt]

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Solid as a really solid thing Ed (not a rock of course, as it's girder bridge) and looks absolutely brilliant with a train traversing it in style.

That's a busy garage you have there and I'm still loving that factory chimney!

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Some nice "trainie" sounds there, Ed.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks guys.

It's really odd that since I did the chimney I just don't notice the yellow pipe anymore, even though it's still sticking out of the top.

The 'trainie' sounds are not entirely intentional, as the rail gap at one end of the bridge is larger than I would have liked owing to the bridge being at an angle, and the track clearance necessary when fitting or removing the bridge.

But talking of 'sounds' I had a bit of a play with some open-source video editing software yesterday afternoon (OpenShot), as I'm running Linux.

[yt]N_Y6MEie8Fc[/yt]

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Nice work Ed. That editing software is a whole new world of interesting byways and branch lines to disappear down in this hobby we call railway modelling. Enjoy.
Cheers 

Marty 

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Just a bit of fun, Marty.

Still trying to get the track finished on the other line over the bridge, but domestic duties have left very little time in the garage this week.

Might get it done over the weekend and then I'll do another video.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Goodbye Latton Fields.
After long and detailed consideration of the operation of the current line along with any possible future development, the ghost of Dr. Beeching has finally caught up with Latton Fields and the line is now closed.

All trains will eventually be arriving and departing from the new terminus Latton Street currently under construction, and buses will replace trains for the time being.

In other words, disassembly (otherwise known as the axe) has started and I hope to get the wood for the new baseboards this week.

Nearly all the insulfrog point have been removed and binned, and the rest will follow shortly.

I couldn’t really do many more scenic areas and watching two trains run round the loops held my attention for all of five minutes, even if one did have sound.

I’m downsizing to a smaller layout based on the Minories track plan (thank you Mr Freezer) which Latton Fields never was, and not bothering with any loops.

More details when I start a new layout thread, but for now it’s goodbye Latton Fields, hello Latton Street.

Ed

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.