OO Gauge - Latton Fields

Posted
Rating:

Branch Line - Roundy, roundy with some shunting

Looks terrific to me and will work well with the chimney to disguise the gas pipe

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Thanks Gary and Marty.

That new Scalescenes Low Relief Factory looks to be very low relief Gary. Be interesting to see how it turns out when you've done it.

My planned semi-suburban type layout appears to be becoming a bit more industrial because of a gas pipe :hmm

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That's the thing Ed, you just go where it takes you.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
  chim chiminey, chim chiminey, chim chim, cher-oo!

Not bad as a 'first cut', especially at a distance.

Think it will look better when I get some sort of back scene up.

Ed

Last edit: by spurno

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

It looks excellent, very much part of the scene. you must be pleased with that.

toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Reasonably happy Toto, at least the yellow pipe doesn't 'jump out at me' quite so much as soon as I sit at the layout.

Now I can get on with the Station……………… then there's the Brewery … and the Granary  …… associated warehouses, and I'm still waiting for warmer weather to finish the embankment and lay the track in the Goods Yard :pedal:pedal:pedal

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That chimney is brilliant, Ed.   :thumbs

Did you cut it at the back and spring it open to get it on?

Apologies if I missed the explanation.  :oops:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
But apart from that Ed………there's nothing to do………. A bit like myself :mutley. As you say, the warmer weather will open doors but by the sounds of things you have enough building structures to keep you busy until this time next year.

If they all turn out as good as your chimney and warehouse……….. You are on a winner.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
That chimney is brilliant, Ed.   :thumbs

Did you cut it at the back and spring it open to get it on?

Apologies if I missed the explanation.  :oops:
Thanks Max.

It was the cardboard tube from xmas wrapping paper, which is made of thicker card than the tubes you get with paper kitchen towel.

The inside diameter of the tube is 40mm and the gas pipe is 35mm diameter, so it's a better fit as well.

I just slit it to get it on, but being made of thicker card I don't think it could be sprung off and on too many times without the card on the opposite side to the slit cracking.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Banned
G'day Ed,

That is a great job you have done with the chimney.It certainly looks the part, amongst the other buildings.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
An elegant solution.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
An elegant solution.  :thumbs

Woteesed, and very economical too!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Managed to get out in the garage for a while today and carried on (playing trains) running in the Bachmann J11, now with a decoder fitted.

Although an 0-6-0, it's probably the loco with the longest driver wheelbase on the layout and it derailed on one part of a short section of curved flexitrack. Obviously due to my bad track laying, as I removed the section and shortened it a bit to make a gentler curve and it runs through fine now.

However it also occasionally derails on the last remaining insulfrog curved point on the layout, so that's got to come out.

Since I now need to order a couple more points I'll get some more flexitrack and replace the section I've just 'fixed' along with the two adjoining setrack curves, which should make a much gentler curve and better looking section of track.

So the moral of this story is, don't just test the layout with your 0-4-0 pugs :oops:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That chimninmnimny turned out well my son ! Maybe try another slightly smaller collar and paint it smokey grey ? To tone down the rest of the pipe
At least it will just blend in with the breeze blocks :)

But looking good !

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
It's still too cold to do very much in the garage, although I have managed over the last few days to lift the last curved point and adjacent track.  

None of this is stuck down as yet and the two tracks leading from the heel of the point are just to check curvature, as they will be new lengths of flexitrack.

The Peco insulfrog right-hand point has also been removed from the entrance to the goods loop at Potters Yard and a electrofrog is sitting in it's place.

Might have a bit of a problem here as the slide switches that I was intending to operate the points with, while also changing the frog polarity, are sitting just about as far in from the edge of the baseboard as possible (there's a batten underneath) and they may be in the way of another siding.

Might have to have a rethink. :hmm

The ex Furness Railway pug I gave a grey undercoat to before Christmas has now had a coat of black and a bit of detailing.

I've messed up a bit as I can see a glue mark where I stuck the nameplate on, and  on looking at photos of similar prototypes, the handrails should protrude past the knobs at each end. Also not happy with the result of removing the old cab side numbers with a fibre pencil, although new numbers might hide it a bit.

I got the nameplate from a chap on 'that internet auction site' and I'm thinking of Fox transfers for cab side numbers, but they're a bit pricey!

The other option is brass etched plates from Narrow Planet as I have to get another name plate and cab side numbers for a second pug anyway, and I want a customised name plate for that one.

I also want to do more detailing on the next one, dumb buffers and cab handrails etc, which brings me to ask, would the cab handrails be the same size (diameter) as handrails along the side of a loco?

As it's been so cold I've also been indoors playing with painting a couple of old coach bodies which I've now plonked in the small goods yard next to Latton fields.

I've had an email from Hattons a couple of days ago to say they finally had got some small left hand elctrofrog points in stock, so I've now ordered the rest of the track in the hope that the weather is beginning to warm up.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed

I am afraid I missed the chimney unveiling:oops:….it looks great…….that whole area is developing into a very effective industrial scene.

The pug looks just right in that setting…….I wouldn't worry about the glue spot……as you once said to me……..I didn't notice until you pointed it out!
I:lol:

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Sorted the point control.

I've moved the slide switches to the batten screwed to the end of the base board. Bit of a job cutting rectangular holes in a 31mm piece of planed wood, but I got there in the end with the aid of some files.

The bits of black plastikard (styrene) are just sitting over the frog polarity wires at present. I'll cover all the slots in the underlay with card or something eventually and the blue-tac is just to keep the wires tidy temporarily.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

All good stuff Ed,

coming together nicely.

toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Getting there Toto, but slowly.

Took this yesterday, don't think I've ever seen the layout without tools, bits of track, pots of glue etc. all over it.

If you ignore the bit of what will be raised scenery bottom left (well, I had to put stuff somewhere).

The siding just behind the chair on the bit of removal board is where the brewery will go and the setrack curve bottom right will lead to the coal ground.

The last bit of replacement track after removal of the curved point is also in, just waiting for the glue to dry before connecting up.

and another shot of the small goods yard by the station.

I've bought some air drying clay which I might used here, just waiting for the weather to warm up and see how Gary gets on with using his on Industry Lane.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
 G`day Ed,

That`s coming along nicely. I like the way you`ve disguised that pipe….it just seems like part of the scene now…..well done.

:cheers  Gormo

Last edit: by spurno

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.