OO Gauge - Latton Fields

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Branch Line - Roundy, roundy with some shunting

Managed to install the first electrofrog point just before Christmas, with the frog polarity changed via a slide switch attached to the tie bar with a bent paper clip.

Tested on Boxing day and now works ok.

(Note to self: Don't wire up slide switches the same way as toggle switches, or you'll get a short :oops::oops::oops:)

Only 90C in the garage today and the forecast for the next couple of weeks doesn't look promising, so the other five new electrofrogs for Potters Yard will have to wait.

The only good thing about the cold weather is no spiders.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
 G`day Ed,

Great to see your progress in spite of the cold.

Stay warm

:cheers Gormo

Last edit: by spurno

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

stick with it Ed. its coming along nicely.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
9 degrees! And that was at midday right? Extreme modelling. I couldn't do it…the gloves, scarf and beanie would get in the way!

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
9 degree's ………. You lucky man……. Try it up here. Freezing. I opened the shed door and there it was …….. A brass monkey running around looking for a welder.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Not much warmer here in Plymouth this morning. We were down to about -4 at 9am. and I'm off birding at 1030. Brass monkey weather but at least its dry.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Down here in Sydney, it was a very warm 34*C… If I could package it and post it, I would !

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
It's always too cold when there's something I want to get on with :sad:

Somebody or other's law.

Apart from track laying, my sons are going to help me remove this when it's a bit warmer.

Draw your own conclusions :mutley

Never mind, there's no rush and now we're past the shortest day the summer is on the way.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
So is next winter.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Don't know about next winter Mick, from the sound of the forecast this winter arrives tonight.

Back to trying to disguise the gas pipe and fill the gap between the station and end of the back scene.

I've decided the gas pipe will be disguised as a chimney and I've got a slightly smaller diameter cardboard tube than I had before, which should fit the bill

Now to replace the two cardboard mock-up factories/warehouses.

A bit like Gary's suggestion in post #83 I decided the end of the headshunt would become a factory loading bay, as there's still just enough room for a loco to use the run around with a couple of trucks already at the factory.

The Metcalf Small Factory that was originally intended for somewhere else has now been built and gone in.

Then I needed a factory/warehouse for the space between the Metcalf Factory and the pipe.

After discussions earlier in this thread the modelrailwayscenery Low Relief 1930's Factory seemed the obvious choice.

I had already seen this and partly dismissed it, but when Paul suggested it in post #57 I thought why not give it a go at £3.99.

I don't think anyone else on here has made this yet so I thought I'd let you know how I got on, but I didn't take any pictures during construction in case I made a total 'pigs ear' of the whole thing.

The instructions suggest cereal packets to keep costs down or 0.7mm card.

I used the cereal packets I had which are 0.4mm but bowed a bit, not sure if this is because one side is printed or whether it was due to the glue I used to stick base layers to the card, which was a large supermarket's Pritstick equivalent

I tried flattening the card by weighing it down with various objects including a club hammer and although still a bit bowed thought I'll use it anyway.

Instruction generally clear although I did get confused a couple of times, but that's probably just me.

Lot of cutting out, like Scalescenes and apart from the base layers I used UHU for the construction.

Quite like it, not bad and I like the finish, reminds me of old factories and warehouses used to pass when going through East London in early 70s.

I might remake in 1mm Greyboard at a latter date and try some etched windows, but it'll do for now.

(Notice no close up to avoid showing my c@ck ups)

And to prove it is cereal packets.

Then I braved the cold and put it on the layout.

Please ignore the track in the goods yard in front of the loading ramp, it got left there when I was tidying up.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
A tip when using thin card for buildings. To stop the card from bowing when you glue things on to it is to glue plain paper on the other side. The glue drying and tensioning causes the bow so if you glue onto both sides they sort of work against each other hence keeping it fairly straight.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thought it might be that Mick and I was considering using two sheets of card back to back which may also have corrected the bow, but then with the extra glue you're cancelling out the cost cutting and may as well use Greyboard.

All part of learning and I'll know next time.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Might be worth paying a visit to any local picture framing business in your area. Sometimes they have mounting board offcuts which they might want to off load cheaply. Also check your supermarkets. They sometimes have their offer signs printed on stiff card and they only end up in the recycle bin after they have finished with them.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Well, I like it Ed.  :thumbs

If you're worried about where the lintels have dropped, you could always draw in a couple of cracks.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Picture framing business? In this part of Essex? Errr …………. don't think so :mutley

Keep my eye out at the supermarket though, and I have got some 1mm and 2mm Greyboard in stock.

Thanks again.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Well, I like it Ed.  :thumbs

If you're worried about where the lintels have dropped, you could always draw in a couple of cracks.
Subsidence……………………… well that's my excuse anyway.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Ed,

nothing wrong with that build. Looks good to me. makes a great scene.

cheers

toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
 G`day Ed,

I like the look of that building. I think I`ll have to look it up on the net and see what else is available.

It sits well on the layout and really looks the part.

:cheers  Gormo

Last edit: by spurno

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks guys.

I really want to get on with installing the new electrofrog points and track in Potters Yard, but it's just too cold.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Looks good Ed, I like it ! :thumbs

I have purchased Scalescenes 'Low Relief Factory' for the new plank. Looking foward to building this kit as I have only built a few of John's smaller kits.

http://www.scalescenes.com/products/T027-Low-Relief Factory

Cheers, Gary.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.