N Gauge - Newcastle Emlyn****

Posted
Rating:
:sad: Oh dear. What are we going to do with them Marty???
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Chuckle… :roll:  :lol::lol:  
We enjoy the rivalry and welcome them with open arms… if it’s big and driven along the rails by steam they’re alright by me.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
:mutley :mutley :mutley

I'm intrigued by the PCB you've used.  It looks pretty useful in a block like that - presumaby, one can separate the individual sleepers if necessary ? 

Who makes it ?

Still very impressed with your skills on the turntable - were you ever a surgeon ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Shaun.

Sod's Law - Amazon can't ship them to France !!!

I'll see what Google can offer.

Many thanks again.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Peter if you want some I could use some as well so happy to get some delivered here and then post some on to you.
Just a thought   :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
That's extremely kind of you Matt.

I'll have another look at what I think I'll need and get back to you.   :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sometimes you just have to stop dreaming about it and get on with it… it's been too long. 
Trains do run occasionally, more of late as the occasional lock down allows work from home but little else progresses on the layout as days stretch into weeks, weeks into months and months into almost a year. 

There is so much going on… I needed a rest from reality… so back to my little bit of Wales in Australia.

Polystyrene is banned in the house now. A different method of landscape construction is needed. The newer closed cell insulation blocks work really well but cost…. I do however have a couple of sheets of core flute lying around. 

It is has been pressed into service as formers for the "view break" hillside between the Henllan and Newcastle Emlyn stations.

Measure, cut, test, measure some more, cut some more….. use as a template for the final piece and test again. Looks OK… how does it get fixed to the back board…. 

hmmmm…. happen to have some little screws nearby…. dab of glue here and there…

Oooo… reckon it might work…. will need some cross bracing…. and then some way of fixing either a wire or shade cloth net over the top….  and then the gloop.

Hopefully not too long before the next bit…. 

and… if the builder gets a move on,  sometime next year Studio 2 will be the Newcastle Emlyn layouts new home. The measurements are in millimetres.

Exciting….

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Absolutely an exciting development Marty, as any 6 x 4 metre railway room would be, in any scale, but you will have space to dream in!

Well done that man and great to see you modelling again.

Crack on!

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Marty

Welcome to The Meglamaniac Club!!  Owners of bigger-than-your-average layouts get free admission and lifetime membership.

:lol: :lol:

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
This picture from "Newcastle Emlyn" was selected by the members as "Picture of the Month" for January 2021

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Great to see you back at it Marty,I was beginning to wonder where you were mate.I'll bet you're looking forward to installing the layout in that new space, you jammy devil.My box room is so tiny and claustrophobic, there's not enough room to swing a cat!!! Welcome back buddy.
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
[user=2006]Barry Miltenburg[/user] wrote:
Marty

Welcome to The Meglamaniac Club!!  Owners of bigger-than-your-average layouts get free admission and lifetime membership.

Barry
Shush now, you're making me feel quite like Marvin from THHGTTG; you know……

"Originally built as one  of many failed prototypes of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation's GPP  (Genuine People Personalities) technology, Marvin is afflicted with severe depression and boredom, in part because he has a "brain the size of a planet" which he is seldom, if ever, given the chance to use." to quote the famed Douglas Adams' masterpiece.

In my case while lacking the above cerebral credentials I have a layout (W-H) which, while once admired for its compactness, I recently found to almost fit on JUST one of Penhayle's many boards, then this! Cruel  :cry:

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
Absolutely an exciting development Marty, as any 6 x 4 metre railway room would be, in any scale, but you will have space to dream in!

Well done that man and great to see you modelling again.

Crack on!

Best,

Bill
Thanks Bill, 

Got to dream realistically… don't want to make it too big… the electical wiring will do my head in. 

Railway in a landscape. That's what I'm after.

Time will tell… 

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Marty

Barry
Thank you Barry. 

Probationary… until that first bit of track is laid….

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
This picture from "Newcastle Emlyn" was selected by the members as "Picture of the Month" for January 2021

It's what smacked me in the head and got me going again Peter…. 

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
Great to see you back at it Marty,I was beginning to wonder where you were mate.I'll bet you're looking forward to installing the layout in that new space, you jammy devil.My box room is so tiny and claustrophobic, there's not enough room to swing a cat!!! Welcome back buddy.
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Hello John, 

Nice to hear from you AND see that you are modelling again too. 

Getting the baseboards out of the current layout room, into a truck, moved by road 450km and into the new room is part of the logistics being considered. The baseboards were designed to come apart for transport. 

Newcastle Emlyn was always seriously compressed to fit the space available. I'm thinking of building new baseboards between the existing station boards to give the locos room to stretch their legs.

… and adding Pencader, Llandysul and the extension to Cardigan bay…. 

Got to finish the house build first though….

Keep the cat out of the box room and life will be a lot easier! :-)

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
[user=2170]Colin W[/user] wrote:
Marty

Barry
Shush now, you're making me feel quite like Marvin from THHGTTG; you know……

"Originally built as one  of many failed prototypes of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation's GPP  (Genuine People Personalities) technology, Marvin is afflicted with severe depression and boredom, in part because he has a "brain the size of a planet" which he is seldom, if ever, given the chance to use." to quote the famed Douglas Adams' masterpiece.

In my case while lacking the above cerebral credentials I have a layout (W-H) which, while once admired for its compactness, I recently found to almost fit on JUST one of Penhayle's many boards, then this! Cruel  :cry:
The good thing is that you can share the experience on line Colin…. and indeed, should the opportunity arise…. I will only be about 3383.6km drive away across the Nullarbor.

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Two days of 38 deg C here over the weekend, nothing for it but to find refuge in the air conditioned layout room and get on with the hillside.
Time is limited and finesse isn’t high on the list. A very sharp blade in both the craft knife and the Stanley trimmer, a pencil, a steel rule, a 5mm thick cork tile to cut on and a close attention to various personal body parts while wielding said sharp blades.

Cut to suit the overall length, fit roughly in place, make appropriate pencil marks, cut slots, test fit, cut deeper slots, test fit again….. think about overall concept, needs to be longer, use bit that has been cut so far as a template for the longer bit, cut, test fit, etc, etc. 

You get the idea. Two curved cross braces installed…. not pretty but very strong.

Tricky… had to allow for trains running below the bracing and think about what the hillside will look like behind the engine shed and around tunnel mouths.

Reckon that will do.

Then… how to cover it. The original thought was shade cloth, sort of a woven nylon sheet designed to keep various percentages of sunlight off the hydrangeas, people, dog, etc when suspended on a pergola or some such. There are assorted rolls of off cuts, surplus to requirements in the yard store. 

The stuff is quite flexible…maybe too flexible and there was some concern that it might sag between supports.

Interlaced strips of cornflake packet cardboard is a tried and trusted method and was considered…. briefly… too time consuming and how to fix in place?

Back to the other tried and tested landform sculptors material…. last used here to trellis sweet peas in the garden and also surplus and in the yard store…  garden wire fencing…. like chicken wire but smaller holes …. used a lot of it on bird aviaries in the past.

Had to get a bannister brush to get the dust off.

Might be a few weeks before it goes on…. Instructing next weekend and Easter the weekend after….

Looking forward to it though.

Stay safe all.

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Looking good Marty.  Pretty is overrated when it comes to substructures, if you ask me.  Strong and reliable wins every time.  I will be interested in the wire frame….. I tried wire on my first plank…. cut my hands up and couldn't keep the flippin' stuff pinned down, co it has been foam or card and modroc ever since, but I will pleased to learn from a master.
Michael 
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.