Johns 7mm Layout

Posted
Rating:
Hi Marty.  I make gutters from Evergreen halfround.  There are various sizes so you can find the right size for 4mm.  I glue some 0.020" strip to the top of the gutter to provide a ledge to be glued to the soffit.  

Downpipes are from brass rod (Tube will crumple if you try to bend it).  Mine are a bit on the small side I must admit.  In this case I used ModelU hoppers.

A suggestion for attaching to the wall:

Downspouts.jpg
John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John,

Nice method. The hoppers are quite distinctive.

I use painted solid brass/piano wire for my N scale downpipes, If I bother with the wall fixings I use paper, wrapped around the pipe and glued to the wall.

cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Over the last month I've been working on wiring mods for the layout.  These include replacing mains extension cord interboard connectors with automotive ones.  At home mains extension cords are a cheap, easy and reliable connector option.  However, with the layout attending exhibitions the unwary may actually plug into mains power.  Yikes!  So they had to go.

I also wired in various lamps as mentioned before.

When erected and everything plugged in, there were several faults, mostly associated with me miswiring some things.

There was also one of those faults that really got my head scratching.  Full voltage at the test points under the layout but only 5V on the turnout diverging road on top of the layout.  I finally realized that the fault was in the dropper itself, something I would never have thought likely.  After replacing the dropper, everything now works.  Must have been a bad solder joint with high resistance.

Anyway, I finally got the layout fully assembled today and here are the pics:

P1010005.JPG
P1010006.JPG
The B4 got a good shunting run in today and works like a charm.  Needs a crew and weathering.

P1010007.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010009.JPG
I actually connected power to the lights today.  All but 4 work so more investigation needed.  I'm not that bothered for the show.

Figures you see have only just had their painting started for the most part.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Nice photo's, John.

I've got a B4 in 4mm… a wheel came off yesterday. No reason, just turned on the axle I Araldited it back on yesterday, so I'll have a look later to see if it's taken.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Claus Ellef)
Just finished a weekend running the layout at Exporail, Montreal's Railway Museum.

The logistics for delivering the layout to the museum worked like clockwork and the team pitched in to erect the layout.

A couple of electrical scares after setup but happily they were sorted.  It underlines to me that the wiring needs a thorough review and tidy up.

We got the layout back to my place smoothly as well.

Here are some pics taken on Sunday (Photos by: R. Ullyott):

Picture3.jpg
I like the look of this scene.  My figure painting is not the greatest but at this distance they look pretty good.  All ModelU of course, what else?  I have a load more figures on the workbench.

Picture5.jpg
Mixed goods.  Ex LNER Toad E on the end.  Lamps are conspicuous by their absence.  I have been working on them but I was reluctant to use them at this show.  I want them to be loose on the lamp bracket so they can be changed around to suit the train.

Picture13.jpg
The Sentinel ran like a champ, very pleased with it.

Picture14.jpg
The J50 is a great performer.  It is Fine Scale Brass, and fitted with sound.

Picture19.jpg Picture20.jpg
Jinty again on a minerals.  The coal loads can be removed.

Picture7.jpg
Shot towards the level crossing.  Crossover is handbuilt and is equivalent to Peco medium radius.  The standard Peco turnouts are just too long.  Crossing gates are from Skytrex.

Picture12.jpg
 J50 shunting.  There was a load of shunting over the weekend.  I was pleased that everyone got on well with the prototypical coupling although there was head shaking, deep breaths and mutterings from time to time.

I'll leave it at that for now.

At a club meeting the week before the show, it was decided to take this layout to the Great British Train Show (GBTS) in the spring in Brampton ON.  The club has shown that we can manage that.  Now I have to get on with finishing the scenery.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Great pics, especially liked the first one. Glad to hear the logistics worked too, I bet there was some nervous people. I think it's about time I tried planning  my trips back to the UK a bit better so I can go to a few shows. I leave to go back to Spain on the 11th of Sept. and the local model club show is the following weekend.

:cry:

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:

DaveH_Murcia said

Great pics, especially liked the first one. Glad to hear the logistics worked too, I bet there was some nervous people. I think it's about time I tried planning  my trips back to the UK a bit better so I can go to a few shows. I leave to go back to Spain on the 11th of Sept. and the local model club show is the following weekend.

:cry:

Thanks Dave.  The only nervous person was me, I'm a nervous nellie at the leadup to the show for fear of something happening.

The layouts at this show were almost all pretty horrible, especially the "0 scale" Lionel ones.  So yes, if you want a really good show you should try to get to one or more of the big ones in UK.

That said, GBTS in Brampton is coming up in the spring.  An arena full of British layouts of all scales.  Worth a look.  Oh and a plethora of traders too.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I got a short shunting video on YouTube yesterday:

Credit: R. Ullyott

John

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Get an error when trying to view the video John.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Must be the site software Ed.  I posted it to RMweb without any trouble.

I just reposted the link and it still shows an error.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Is it this one

Posted
Rating:
Lol, Ed., yes it is.  Is there a magic formula?

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Looking good, the sound is great. 👍

Found the video via RMweb

All you have to do, is paste the link copied from YouTube into the text area of your post.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ah, I think I see the problem.  I pasted the long link from the YouTube header.  If I right click on the video thumbnail, on YouTube or RMweb, I get a short link, which works.

Yes I think the video is excellent and provides food for thought because it shows a couple of lumpy areas near the slip.  I have seen similar performance in 00 with, by coincidence the Bachmann Jinty.  It can be done.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Some great looking stock there John - always very impressive with the detail one can put into "O" Scale scenes.

Exhibition layouts need a real belt and braces approach to everything - scenery, baseboards and probably above all, electrics.  There's nothing more disheartening than electrical glitches in full view of a paying public - I'm pleased all worked well for you.

I'll watch your video now ………………………..:thumbs:

Nice video.  Do you have some knid of rolling resistance on the stock or is it the sheer weight of "O" Gauge stuff that stops the normal "jiggling" you often see.  I noticed it at one point in your video but otherwise, almost none whatsoever.

Last edit: by Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Cheers Peter.  Well, we did have glitches but were able to find the source (that's the trick) and fix them.

I'm currently going through the layout wiring to improve the choc block connections and get rid of solid core wiring as far as possible.  I also have some plastic screw clamps that will reduce the wire moving.

I try to weight the wagon IAW with G0G recommendations - 1gram per mm of length.  No planned rolling resistance.

Using prototype couplings means wagons will jiggle some when being moved.

John

BTW, I had nothing to do with making up the train.  However, I was pleased to see that the train that departed had the correct makeup.  Three fitted vans (in BR era, these were bauxite) followed by an unfitted ex LMS van (grey).  The brake van happened to be unfitted but the guard had control of the brake van's brakes.  Another sublety is that that the lead van is a Shoc Van (vertical white stipes) and the rules say these should be marshalled as close to the loco as possible where the ride is smoothest.  (This applies to cattle wagons as well for the beast's well being.)

John

Posted
Rating:

"BTW, I had nothing to do with making up the train.  However, I was pleased to see that the train that departed had the correct makeup.  Three fitted vans (in BR era, these were bauxite) followed by an unfitted ex LMS van (grey).  The brake van happened to be unfitted but the guard had control of the brake van's brakes.  Another sublety is that that the lead van is a Shoc Van (vertical white stipes) and the rules say these should be marshalled as close to the loco as possible where the ride is smoothest.  (This applies to cattle wagons as well for the beasts well being.)"

The things one learns on here !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
It is my lot to try to teach what I have learned.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.