H0 Scale - South Shore Line

Posted
Rating:
This is about the only spot I can stand and take a picture of both a train and the Old Republic on my layout and not see too much that isn't finished. I still need a whole lot more landscaping, flowers shrubs, side walks, drive way, etc. around the Old Republic, but hey, what the heck, this is what it's all about.
I will more than likely change all of these trees later on too, but I needed to a least see what it was going to look like.
Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's an interesting picture, Wayne.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
I was sitting down drinking a cup of Chi Tea this morning and happened to look out at the layout. This is what I saw. The early morning sunshine coming in on the layout cast these beautiful shadows, so I thought I would take a picture and see what it looked like. I really like the second one, but I need to find a way to get sky in the background instead of a ceiling fan and spray bottles!
Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Very good Wayne, natural light does look so natural!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
There are a couple of members here who know about Photoshop, Wayne.  That would do it.

Posted
Rating:
Beautiful Wayne. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I spent the day yesterday making 10 new trees, from 3/4" to 7" tall. It's amazing how they seem to disappear when I put them on the layout. I will need at least another 100 of them before this year is over. At least that is my goal.

The Old Republic, as you can see, is not settled down into it's foundation quite right. The wires are holding it up a bit. I put it there just for the picture and it was too much to get those pesky wires back where they belong. Plus I don't have the LED's working yet so I didn't want to take the time, and then take it back out again.

It is amazing how much a tree costs! The tree in the foreground is 7" tall, and I figure I have $5.00 into it, and I bought the armature at a swap meet for $3.00 per package instead of $17.00 new.

I am experimenting with different "leaves". The foreground tree has Woodland Scenics "Bushes" and the tree to it's left has Woodland Scenics "Clump Foliage" for leaves.

The Bushes look better but I used 12 cubic inches from the package for it. The clump foliage only has 6 cubic inches on it. Both are 7" trees.

I may try another one and start with the bushes and put less of the on, then switch to the clump foliage to finish it. Maybe that will help keep the cost down and still make the tree look presentable.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
And very good they look too. What is nice is the variety in colours that you have used - but a 100 more that will keep you busy.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I like that ;last picture Wayne . The fact that there are no figures in it ,adds to the tranquility.  I can imagine its late evening and everybody has gone home leaving a beautiful setting in peace.

reg

Posted
Rating:
[user=31]sparky[/user] wrote:
I like that ;last picture Wayne . The fact that there are no figures in it ,adds to the tranquility.  I can imagine its late evening and everybody has gone home leaving a beautiful setting in peace.

I have been contemplating building a light house for the front corner (right side in that photo), that over looks the great lake below the Old Republic. There is not much room there, but It would fit in well with the scene.

Of course more trees would be needed to separate the Old Republic from the light house.

I agree with you Sparky, in the early morning with the sun shining in, I  stand there staring at that view while I drink a whole cup of coffee.

wayne

Posted
Rating:
I probably should have started the layout in the middle of the table, but I didn't. Now I tend to knock over every tree, bush shrub, people, buildings, you name it. So I installed this device. It's 1/2 rigid copper tubing. It is 3" lower than my armpits, and is movable around the layout. It is 23" wide and only the horizontal joints are soldered, all but the bottom vertical joints are loose and can be disassembled. That way I can easily change the height of the horizontal bars, by changing the vertical tubes.

The top vertical tube is 2" tall and the middle tube is 3". By swapping them I can lower the middle tube to protect something on the edge, at that height.

The second photo shows how it's all attached to the layout. Just a bracket around a coupler, keep in mind that the elbow can rotate in a circle, so the couplers don't have to be perfectly aligned, only perfectly spaced. No tools required to move it around either, just grab the two bottom elbows and pull out, move to the next location and slide it all back in place.

I had this idea over a year ago and went out and bought all the materials. Just now got around to installing it all. This works great, I can actually lean down and even in on it, and it holds me up without flexing one bit.

The last photo shows additional couplers farther down the layout. I eventually intend to install more couplers around the entire layout, but for now the seven locations I have, are enough.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
That's a neat gadget Wayne. :thumbs

At first, I thought you'd installed a coffee shop for the golf course on the layout - either that or central heating for the showers…………:roll::roll::lol::lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Looks a bit overscale to me Wayne! Seriously though a neat solution, as I am always catching my sleeve on signals and yard lamps as I move around my layout.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Yesterday and today was spent building the cliffs that will ultimately lead into the lime stone quarry. From the right hand edge over to about 2/3 rd's of the length will become permanent and will not be removable, the left end is removable in line with the seam of the blue foam. The joint is very tight so it's hard to see it. Right now I can take it off the layout, just so I can paint it. If it works out I may leave it removable, but the tough part is on the right hand end, so I will have to wait and see how it develops. The right hand end leads into the limestone quarry that will go in front of the Proctor farm. It will be a VERY deep and dangerous quarry. It scales out to be an 87 foot deep cliff from the front of the farm.

Wayne

Here is an overall photo so you can see where it is located on the layout.

Posted
Rating:
That rock face looks brilliant Wayne. :thumbs

Is it made out of the Woodlands "Casting plaster" seen in the 2nd shot ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Petermac,
The wall is made up of about 25 "rocks" made from rubber molds using the Woodland Scenics lightweight hydrocal.

The. Individual rocks were bonded to the blue foam with sculptamold, and the joint was covered with plaster cloth strips, which were then covered with the hydrocal. Really quite easy to do.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Those supporting brackets are very clever Wayne. For those of us without the appropriate skills a friendly plumber might make up the equivalent I imagine?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Wayne, I think you have done that rare thing - come up with an idea that is ground breaking.
All of us have suffered the cuff taking out a signal or a chimney stack.
Your solution is simple, doesn't obstruct the view of the layout, light and easily made.
Gold star!

Marty (good to see you): All those fixings can be bought from a DIY shop and easily made up.
You can even get them with the solder already in the joint.
Just need a blow lamp to join them, some flux and some glass paper to clean the joins first.

Last edit: by ddolfelin

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
[user=394]ddolfelin[/user] wrote:
………………………………………………….

Marty (good to see you): All those fixings can be bought from a DIY shop and easily made up.
You can even get them with the solder already in the joint.
Just need a blow lamp to join them, some flux and some glass paper to clean the joins first.
But even with the pre-loaded joint,  it does take some practice DD ……………….;-)

Thanks for the explanation of the cliff Wayne.  I have some of the "rock" moulds but haven't tried using the "Hydrocal".  I presume it's lighter than normal plaster. :roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Nah … Marty will do it first time.

I once made a dog guard for the back of the estate using the same principle.
Cheaper than the Volvo version.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.