H0 Scale - South Shore Line

Posted
Rating:
Wow- 10 seconds !!!  That's very gentle pressure then Wayne but understandable given the nature of styrene.

Many thanks :thumbs

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I was testing (really) the layout the other day and found two spots that were derailing the loco. So I tore out about a foot of track around the spots and replaced it.
The majority of my layout is foam, so when you try and re-locate the track just a little, there is not much to hold it in it's new location. So I cut out an area centered on the bad spot to a depth of 3/4" and replaced it with wood.

Once that was done it was very easy to get the joint to align up properly and stay there.

I then ran both engines for a full hour with no problems at all.  :Happy   :Happy

To celebrate that event I went over to the local train store and could not resist laying down of a good chunk of change for this little baby.

It's an Atlas GP40-2 with DCC and a sound card.  :doublethumb

I am tickled pink with it. It runs like a dream and slow to boot. I tested it at the slowest speed setting (20) that would go up the incline (2%). It took 11 minutes and 41 seconds to make a full rotation on the layout, and that's pulling 7 cars and one of them is a track cleaner. My previous slow time was 2 minutes and 50 seconds. So this is a dramatic improvement. Can you tell I like my trains to run slow?

I just finished a full hour of test running on the layout with this new addition. Couldn't be happier!

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You can't go wrong with Atlas, Wayne.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Jolly smart Wayne.  :thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:hiWayne, I have been reading and looking through your epic build, Great to see a brilliant layout evolve from the start.

Thanks for shareing.

Derek

Posted
Rating:
Pic. of a prototype here, Wayne:

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/1276

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
A nice shot, too. For some reason, SP always looks good to me, and they seem to be among the best looking when weathered.

It's a fine choice, Wayne [as you know] I've tweaked the CVs of my sister's Atlas Gold SD35 and its performance is stunning.

I couldn't find a shot of #415 on Railpictures.net - not that I searched for very long - but here's 401. Plenty more good photos on there too

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=132329&nseq=19

It's a different blue, but it shows traces of an earlier colour - or was it a later colour? - very similar to yours.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hey thanks for the pictures ddolfelin & MikeC. Now I know how to dirty it up a little too.  

It's amazing how close the model is to the prototype. Weather the model and put it in the same surroundings and I doubt if you could tell the difference.

I had a choice between road #'s 411, 412 & 415. They were all exactly the same with the exception of the road numbers.

Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
I thought I would never find this thread! Three and one half pages down, there it was, just waiting for me to wake it up.

I just had to do some ground shaping around the Old Republic, so it just looked more like it belonged there. As large as I had made that hill, I almost ran out of room. :twisted:

It may be a bit snug, but it will do. You have to use your imagination as to the ground color. I have to wait for everything to dry before I can begin that.

I have just finished building the New Carlisle Water Works Building, with any luck I can get that posted here yet today.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
How grand does that look?  Cracking job. :thumbs

Cheers
Dave
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Absolutely stunning Wayne and what a huge building. :pathead:pathead:pathead

You must be delighted with the results.

Next time, why not try a small shed or something with just 4 sides and a flat top …………………how's about a concrete block ? :roll::roll::roll: 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
been waiting a loooong time to see this in situ,, but boy it was worth it  a great job mate and looks fantastic on there

:doublethumb:doublethumb:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hey Petermac, how about this for a simple building? It only took me a day and a half to build and paint it!

This is the New Carlisle Water Works building. There is no such thing so it was real easy to build it. Nothing to copy! So don't ask me what that gadget is on the left side, it just looked good there! :mutley
I had to take this picture with the flash because there just was not enough light to see any details. So pardon the brightness.

This is probably the only spot on my entire layout where I can take a picture and it looks like the entire layout is done. Just ignore the upper right hand corner.  :shock: At least it shows you where the Water Works building is located.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Yep - that's my kind of building Wayne :thumbs:mutley

It does look godd even if it is a simple building and the layout looks great at that point too - just the right amount of vegetation and the pipework set in the bank side looks very authentic.  :pathead  Maybe the little gadget on the side of the building is a water meter ………..:roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
"Stunning" is my word for it too, Wayne.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
"It took 11 minutes and 41 seconds to make a full rotation on the layout, and that's pulling 7 cars and one of them is a track cleaner. My previous slow time was 2 minutes and 50 seconds."

All you need for total realism is to match that with an Amtrak train :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=330]Photoman[/user] wrote:
All you need for total realism is to match that with an Amtrak train

:mutley  :mutley  :mutley

If I ever purchased a passenger car set that is probably what I would get too.

Does that mean it would go even slower????

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=22]Wayne Williams[/user] wrote:
[user=330]Photoman[/user] wrote:
All you need for total realism is to match that with an Amtrak train

:mutley  :mutley  :mutley

If I ever purchased a passenger car set that is probably what I would get too.

Does that mean it would go even slower????

Wayne

That depends on how long it had to wait for a gap in the freight traffic.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Wayne, my attitude is that if it looks right it is right.

So whatever function that gadget on your building serves, its OK.

Posted
Rating:
Magnificent, and stunningly unique, building Wayne. Congratulations.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.