A Final Curtain Call for Westown-Heathfield

Posted
Rating:

GWR OO Gauge - 1930's rural Somerset - Winter 1937

Been there, done that.

I hope that you get as much fun out of your next project as I am doing from mine.

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:    Ooooerrr mister …………………..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
As Mark Twain famously cabled

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

it so happens the same could be said regarding Westown-Heathfield!

I find today that "xdford" has released his latest Railway Modeller Australia and that my former layout "Gets a Guernsey". Trevor has done me proud as my tiny little layout, for that is what it was, has one more 15 minute period of sunshine.

Please have a look, Trevor does an amazing job on the magazine, as I can now attest first hand.

Thanks, Trev.

Railway Modeller Australia

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
Just wondering, people who dis-assemble (for want of another word) their layouts to build new ones, what happens to all the buildings etc, some are scratch built with hundreds of hours?

Phil

Posted
Rating:
Phil,

In my case the Westown-Heathfield layout was totally unplanned up front so grew out of virtually nothing more than a simple desire to have some trains running and entertain the grandchildren.

When it evolved, I just followed my instincts creating things that worked for me in the setting. End result I have a couple of storage tubs (50L) with the various redundant buildings and bits, none of which fit in the new creation. Maybe they'll reappear in a diorama at some point, the crucial segments of the base are stacked away in case of need.

You are right about the buildings, certainly labours of love in most cases so not likely to be thrown away any time soon. They join all my other "Opportunities in search of a Need"; fortunately being a small setting they don't test my storage capacity.

Posted
Rating:
Colin, some years ago I had an idea to scrap Pen-y-Bryn and build a new layout, but after a few comments from forum members decided not to because of the time involved, but I thought at the time, what to do with the buildings and colliery, selling them off would be a possibility but I would think for a big loss compared to the building time.

Phil

Posted
Rating:
[user=753]Phil.c[/user] wrote:
Colin, some years ago I had an idea to scrap Pen-y-Bryn and build a new layout, but after a few comments from forum members decided not to because of the time involved, but I thought at the time, what to do with the buildings and colliery, selling them off would be a possibility but I would think for a big loss compared to the building time.
Hi Phil,

In your case I fully understand and totally agree with your decision. It would have been a big loss.

In my case it was a much easier decision as the time had come and the loss far less, all the same it was still hard to "wield the axe".

Sometimes a clean start is needed and you know that's the case when your 7-year old granddaughter complains that trains "just going round and round is BORING!". In the end they loved the layout just for all its scenic elements and settings but along the way over 7 years they put a lot into the making of W-H and derived a lot of pleasure from it, as did I
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.