A Final Curtain Call for Westown-Heathfield

Posted
Rating:

GWR OO Gauge - 1930's rural Somerset - Winter 1937

Great photos as always. Good to document it all before it’s removed. Is the playground a kit? Looks good. 
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=2057]TeaselBay[/user] wrote:
Great photos as always. Good to document it all before it’s removed. Is the playground a kit? Looks good.
Thanks Chris,

The playground was designed by my granddaughter (at the time 5 or 6 yr old) and as best I could, I tried to capture the old style English playground equipment that was still commonplace when I was growing up. Consequently the entire setting was scratch built to my memories and the odd photo of the era.

Posted
Rating:
The Playground

Following on this theme, the playground has been a popular spot for my two granddaughters, so much so they are expecting one to appear at Upper Hembury!

I posted some early photos from the build (when W-H was set in Era 5) which seem out of place now but which can be found back on p1 posts 15 to 17. More recent pics never made it to print so this is a great chance to make amends

And the Birthday parties which all young visitors expected to be happening if they chanced to be here around that time. The Bunting for this setting was another creation by young C. Neatly drawn for me so I'd get it "right"!

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
The Village

Strangely I've never zoomed in on the railway cottages in the village, in situ. Setting this straight is the the first job today.

The children here were treated to a railway bonanza every day. My true modelling fantasy I guess!

When I look back at what I've created it bears more than a passing resemblance to my grandfather's back garden in Staple Hill with its greenhouse, vegetables of all kinds and typical stone walls. I just lacked a railway out the back. We had to walk half a mile up the hill to the old Bristol & Gloucester (then Midland) line out of Bristol for that experience.

Posted
Rating:
Take 2

Looking back to the early days of the topic, I first presented Heathfield in the full glory of a bright summer's day and so there are a few more shots to complete this set.

Posted
Rating:
There's only so much modelling that can fit in the limited space I have available and the last little corner of the "country end" of the layout is next to take a bow.

This side shows off the great help I got from my granddaughters as they helped with both the back scenes and the shrubbery. The angle chosen for the first photo is one you don't see from normal viewing positions so it was a pleasant surprise to discover how well it worked.

The angled embankment is only 4cm wide behind the brake van but the back scene painting was blended in beautifully by granddaughter C so that it gives an excellent sense of depth. "You can't see the join!". The foreground tree is natural, a lavender pruning with its original bark.

Posted
Rating:
Much like an "ageless" rock star, the W-H final roadshow must go on. Today some new photos taken around Heathfield Station. The "Boss" told me "we like lots of pictures" and who am I to disagree?

Heathfield station sits in an idyllic spot alongside the Heathfield River, presently cascading after some heavy rainfall in the hills. The sheep appear unfazed.

The final shot was captured last summer, judging from the trees and shrubs, before the village renovated the town cross to celebrate its 750th birthday.

Posted
Rating:
Two things, a much delayed but great visit from our Sydney family and a long awaited parcel have given me a much-needed boost in the modelling dept! My recent post with the various station shots was the outcome. The boys plus mum and day all enjoyed seeing W-H running one last time. The youngsters took to the active braking feature on my sound locos so were stopping on a pin. Lots of enjoyment there but it threw up a few operational issues I should fix in stock not migrating to UH.

Now, reading Rick's wonderful words in memory of the late John Flann (see POTM topic) sent me looking for an angle to capture W-H which embodies what I learnt from him in the all too short time we corresponded.

He stressed the importance of presentation, "where the layout builder is putting on a show" # This is my own modest effort, a viewpoint I've shown before but just one last time in this encore.

For John's full Hintock story in his own website "book" see
 # Hintock - Part 1

Posted
Rating:
Heathfield - A Quantock "Destination" of its Era

The local scenery and opportunities for walks in the hills behind the village became very popular in the mid 1930s with the introduction of an Autotrain service twice daily from Taunton in the warmer months. The large panoramic windows of the autocoaches proved great views of the journey and TBH were probably far superior to the view from crowded Mark I coaches operating the Heritage line these day.

We saw some views of the location earlier in the post on Heathfield station. here are more shots of the countryside above the village.

Posted
Rating:
Definitely - The final Bow for W-H

A most unexpected event today, granddaughter C and mum came over for an impromptu visit. Young C had for some time shown little /no interest in matters railway but today, out of the blue asked to see some trains running!

Now with the buzz of the metaphorical demolition chainsaw in the background, various bits already removed plus stock packed away this was a tad untimely. I thought W-H had seen its last run but one more was hastily arranged.

Young C, having realised she'd never see it again wanted a detailed photographic and video record; some timing! Grabbing her mum's iPhone she snapped away happily then air-dropped the lot onto my phone. I saw the layout through totally different eyes and it seemed fitting to present what is definitively the final photo show!

Posted
Rating:
Always fascinating to see how others look at our layouts Colin - your grand-daughter is obviously more into "people" than "trains" …….

However, she has a very good eye - lovely to see things from a different angle.  :thumbs  A great shot of the couple walking towards the car and "Dad" in his garden either wondering which giant cabbage to enter in the local flower show or trying to work out what's eating his prize  ??????  No idea what those things he's looking at are supposed to be - obviously an Australian delicacy………… :lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Always fascinating to see how others look at our layouts Colin - your grand-daughter is obviously more into "people" than "trains" …….

However, she has a very good eye - lovely to see things from a different angle.  :thumbs  A great shot of the couple walking towards the car and "Dad" in his garden either wondering which giant cabbage to enter in the local flower show or trying to work out what's eating his prize  ??????  No idea what those things he's looking at are supposed to be - obviously an Australian delicacy………… :lol:
TBH Peter, there was only a solo 57xx Class with no wagons chugging around, hardly riveting but she did record some video which I've not yet had a look at.

the garden is supposed to be in a Quantock village but the close up is unkind. It sort of looks like rhubarb from a bit further out!

Posted
Rating:
Ah - rhubarb !!

An interloper to the Quantocks - I thought they were famous for bilberries …………..

Rhubarb originally came from Siberia (would you believe !) but thrived in the cold wet conditions in West Yorkshire - home of the famed "Rhubarb Triangle" - bounded by Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield.  Delighted to see Yorkshire's fame spreading initially to the Quantocks and thence to Melbourne …………………. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
It grows very well here, winter special of rhubarb and orange compote ideal with porridge. All the rage around these parts.

Posted
Rating:
Here it is the final video, thru the eyes of young C.

[yt]4nhPVVOnX6c[/yt]

and for those who don't believe that Rhubarb can withstand our ferocious hot summers, here's mine. A second pair of clumps is in the bottom bed so we're well supplied.

Posted
Rating:
The "chainsaw" sits silent, having done its dirty deed; the late Westown-Heathfield is no more.

To paraphrase the famous sketch;

"….  Look, matey, I know a dead layout when I see              one, and I'm looking at one right now."

What brought many hours of joy to young and old (hang on, not THAT old!) is no more…

Onlooker "No no it's not dead, it's, it's restin'! Remarkable layout, W-H"

Owner after quick look and prod: "Now that's what I call a dead layout!"

Onlooker ''s pining!"

Owner: ''s not pinin'! ''s passed on! This layout             is no more! It has ceased to be! ''s expired and gone to meet 's              maker! ''s a stiff! Bereft of life, 'it rests in peace!"

Owner: With misty eyes, turns towards W-H, "farewell old friend" or was that "au revoir"?

Colin

Posted
Rating:
:thud :sad:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Very moving Colin - you brought tears to my eyes. 
But from the ashes of Weston-Heathfield a phoenix will arise - when can we expect to see trains arriving at Upper Henbury - no pressure but remember the importance of maintaining tempo!

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Because of moving house I have dismantled a few model railways during my time modelling. That was hard enough! I have never tried to give up a layout because I wanted to start a new one.
I look forward to your new creations!

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:
"The King is dead, long live the King!"

More fun ahead Colin, enjoy the ride and we're be right alongside you.

Best,

Bill

:doublethumb

Last edit: by spurno

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.