00 Gauge - The Far North Line

Posted
Rating:

ScR steam in the 50's

[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Very convincing, Richard.  :thumbs   The grassy bank looks excellent.

I'm not sure I understand the fence posts being suspended in the air, though.   :???:
:lol:- A temporary trial to see if they would transplant from the old layout- all now fixed in place and ground bound!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
What a layout, what a modeller. I too have just come across this thread and hope I can come up to a quarter of your standard, when I get started again. Thanks for taking the time to put up the pic's and keep 'em coming…. ID backscenes eh, mmm, I'll have a look and see if I can afford some.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
G'day Ben,

The layout is looking fantastic. Just read through the link to RMweb and have to say it is one of the best 'start to current time' threads I have read, very comprehensive. I don't know where you find the time to model with two threads running (YMR & RM) and all the questions to be answered…! Regardless, can't wait to see more. Keep it coming.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
I've only just found your thread Ben, thanks to Gary mentioning it when posting on my layout thread. I can't believe I've missed this both here and on RMWeb :oops:

I've only had a very cursory scan through looking at the pictures but I like what I see very much and will be having a thorough read through as soon as I can find a bit more time to give it my full attention.

:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
I have now reached a stage where all the basic work has been done on the layout, and soon a start can be made od adding those extras that should make it come to life- a balance will have to be struck between activity and the relative quietness of the place, although they were far busier in steam days than they are now, esp. on the goods side of things.

Some more images I took tonight.

Last edit: by Ben Alder

Posted
Rating:
This really is a superbly realistic layout with some first rate photography to boot and the standards you have set give us all something to aim for.  You have my total admiration Ben.

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Very convincing, Richard.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Hi RichardLovely pics and very realistic modelling.
Any chance of a description of how you produced the back scene? (which software package and how you make the joins seamless?)Ray

Regards

Rhiwderin_Ray

Posted
Rating:
Cheers, all- kind comments much appreciated.

Backscenes are the  15" ID ones, and I can't praise them highly enough.Having worked the old  layout without a backscene for years, I found this range when it first  appeared a godsend, and the larger ones even better. Joins are tolerated  in real life, but are magicced away for photos by a run of the cloning  stamp.

I don't do much to photographs as a rule- straighten them up and some cropping is usually enough apart from join-hiding, but some I tweak the backlighting and sometimes  gamma brightness- whatever that is- to tone things down a bit, but take the approach that digital pics are free, so if one doesn't work then ditch it and try another. All these are taken with a small Kodak Easyshare pocket camera, that is more than adequate for this type of thing, and I usually underexpose by half a stop, which seems to work for me.

Having said that, I treated myself to a Canon G12 a year or so ago, and was using it on the last days of the old layout, and it was producing some cracking shots, though I say it myself! I will be starting to try this out soon, now that things are coming together.

Any editing is done on a mixture of PhotoScape and PhotoFiltre programmes- both free, and simple to use, and reduced to size with Irfanview. It's a strange set-up, but I found that some bits of each programme were easier for me to get my head round than others, and now I can flit between them at a good speed.

A couple of pics, showing the join!

And some taken recently. The Helmsdale one doesn't have its top coat yet, but most else is in place. Thanks once again for the interest.

Posted
Rating:
Oh well, another modelling evening gone!- While I was in the mood, I have found three images taken with the Canon from the old layout, which hopefully show the better capacity of this camera.

Posted
Rating:
Many thanks for taking the time to explain the back scenes and for the additional pics. Will have to buy a similar one then place some card-mounted buildings in front for a 3D effect.
Regards
Ray

Regards

Rhiwderin_Ray

Posted
Rating:
Richard,
              Only just caught up with this thread. What an amazing amount you have achieved in such a short time frame!
It really provides us all with the kick up the backside we all need from time to time.(well,I do,anyway!)

Not only the amount of work,but the extremely high quality of modelling is very,very inspirational.I have read all through nursing a glass of RLW and I now have another modelling hero,and fully intend to check out all your old posts on RMWeb to discover your other layouts.
 Keep up the great work,

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Good evening,all,

Nothing dramatic to report I'm afraid, but I have been putting in point rodding, a tedious job, but one that helps create the overall picture. It is a bit rough and ready, esp. where it meets the points, and would not please  any track expert, but passes muster for me. Some of it can be seen here- it is still being weathered and finished, but is another step along the way.The solitary terminus signal can also be seen.

Posted
Rating:
Gremlins struck again at the last posting, and I lost some of it- again- so here are a couple of Helmsdale- a quiet shed scene and one of the resident 0-6-0's waiting its next duty.

Posted
Rating:
Great stuff Ben. This layout gives a real feel of a railway. Keep the pic's coming, and next time you're in Brisbane you can come and help me. ;-)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Richard.May I enquire whether the point rodding is made or bought and, if made, - from what, if bought - from where?

Regards

Rhiwderin_Ray

Posted
Rating:
Hi,

The point rodding consists of cast metal stools from MSE - 4mm scale frame -, items LS005 & 6- and etched cranks, and the rodding itself is 0.4mm brass wire from Eileens Emporium- https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=131&Itemid=9 - and a lot of tedious handwork! The finished effect is worth it though, but there is no ready made for this, I'm afraid.

HTH

Posted
Rating:
The Caley 0-6-0 is the subject of discussion between a fitter and its driver- obviously there is something needing adjusting on the engine.

Meanwhile, it is tea break at the small PW dept. at Thurso.

Posted
Rating:
Work has more or less been completed to a  finished state at the two stations, and next job is a through track cleaning session and test of the hidden loops and scenic sections, which have hardly run together yet- no doubt some glitches will show up, hopefully nothing too much. There is still a good deal of wiring to be done- good old 12v DC- to join up the controllers to allow a full cab control working, but I have managed to pull a back muscle again, so there will be no stretching and bending underneath a panel for a week or two. It won't be lost time though, as I have moved to the workbench and am deciding what to tackle next in the way of unbuilt loco kits- might be an idea to wait a week to see what Hornby have planned, perhaps. One year they are going to surprise me!
Anyway, a couple of overall shots of the two stations- nothing new in this, but they now have all the "hardware", and I am starting to think about figures and clutter, and try to get a balance between interest and overegging- these were quietish  places in the greater scheme of things, but at certain times could have a lot of activity . I'm sure I'll work something out……

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Beautiful, Richard.  :thumbs
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.