00 Gauge - Ottersford Junction, GWR 1920's

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

5 times longer in coming than Brunel took making the real thing!

Mines in Bill, you choose your own, mind you I still havent worked out what secret formula Peter uses to choose ?Does he go for number of nominations for each picture ? Or a cumalative number if more than one picture from the same thread ? Or does he pour a large glass ( or three) and then stick a virtual pin in to choose ?? 

He do keep his cards close to his chest !  :hmm :hmm :hmm

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:
Mines in Bill, you choose your own, mind you I still havent worked out what secret formula Peter uses to choose ?Does he go for number of nominations for each picture ? Or a cumalative number if more than one picture from the same thread ? Or does he pour a large glass ( or three) and then stick a virtual pin in to choose ?? 

He do keep his cards close to his chest !  :hmm :hmm :hmm

Cheers

Matt
It's very simple Matt……..

I go for the nominee who crosses my palm with the heaviest silver ……. :roll: :lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Mal,Loving that SECR loco….it's very "Ivor The Engine"!! Some cracking scenery too.Good to see you back with more GWR goodies mate!

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
[user=380]Kaiser[/user] wrote:

Glad to hear there wasn't any lasting damage from your fall last year! That could have been rather nasty!

You've rescued the river well, from the original blue it looks brilliant. I feel I need to add a few more reeds etc to mine! The overarching viaduct sits grand over the scene and really helps to set it. 

Where did you get the ducks from?

Posted
Rating:
[user=2057]TeaselBay[/user] wrote:
[user=380]Kaiser[/user] wrote:

Where did you get the ducks from?
   Well Chris, them's GWR ducks and are special issue only by Swindon Provenance Stores to the Paddington Stationmaster to provide First Class passengers with extra unctuous eggs benedict at the breakfast tables of the Paddington to Penzance express services.

If you dress up as a Stationmaster, Mal may get a Swindon clerk to squirrel you some, but you'll have to send the eggs on to Reading station on a regular basis.

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:

Glad to hear there wasn't any lasting damage from your fall last year! That could have been rather nasty!You've rescued the river well, from the original blue it looks brilliant. I feel I need to add a few more reeds etc to mine! The overarching viaduct sits grand over the scene and really helps to set it. Where did you get the ducks from?
Hi Chris - if you don't want to go through Swindon Provenance Stores you could try Preiser!

Peter - the cheque is in the post.

Another footnote re: Realistic Water.  I'd used pva adhesive to 'plant' the trees & reeds around the river & it had dried clear.  However, once the R.W. was applied it went & has stayed opaque.  Luckily it doesn't really show on the photos.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

All stressed out, got addled brains?
Ride your bike or play with trains!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Sorry Mal I missed your question Re upside down photos ?
I take it your using an Ipad or Iphone ?

The Camera lense has a set Orientation. The Iphone or Ipad knows which way up the phone was when you took the photo ( it can read this info in the photo) and 'Rights' the picture on your display. Once you take the photo out of An Apple device this information is 'lost' so the photo will then display sideways or upside down depending on which way up the lense was. Most people naturally want to hold tha Iphone or IPad with the volume buttons at the top but this is actually upside down as far as the lense is concerned. A link HERE. To turning your photos from within the device

Alternatively use an online editor, upload the photo and rotate as necessary, ( the online editor should show it as taken IE upside down etc) then remember to 'Save As' and re name it so you know which one is the edited version. THEN you can upload it to the forum
( P.S. if your NOT using Apple. . No idea mate !  :hmm)

H T H

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for reply Matt but no. I'm not using an Apple device, just a Samsung android.
Spooky thing is some pics were fine - just the ones I wanted to post were squiffy!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
GREMLINS  :shock:
 :mutley

I take it your screen rotates when you turn the phone sideways ? Never thought that Auto rotation effected pictures though !  Never looked in camera settings to see if there is a fixed orientation setting ?  So nope no idea mate

Turn it off ? Turn it back on ?? :hmm

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
I remember back in the day when we walked round the corner in the rain from the flat to the bright red smelly telephone box on the corner with some of the Queen's coinage and we could speak to our mums and dads, never mind take a photograph of them.

Kids today eh? Don't know thery're born!

Grumpy LC

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Remember the joy when you found someone had pressed button 'B' & forgotten to pick up their money!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
I remember the SMELL of the one just down the road from the Pub :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Well I've just put in 40 fence posts for the next stretch of scenic section.  Then when I come to put in the .3mm fencing wire I find all the holes in the posts are blocked with plastic swarf.  I know I should have checked first but for goodness sake to make a fence post with holes that are actually holes shouldn't be too much to expect.  I've probably had them for over 30 years so can't send them back.

So now I need to poke 160 holes but what with?  The plastic wire provided is much too delicate,  I've tried fuse wire but that's not strong enough either.  I've tried heating the fuse wire but it just melts.  I filed down a track pin to .3 but even that just bent.  Trying to do them in situ is a pain but now they are all nicely glued in.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Maybe try a pin vice drill with the smallest bit you have ? 
What a pain though !!

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
I think the posts are too close together for a pin vice, if you have a tiny drill bit maybe hold it in a pair of pliers…. mmmm… tricky one…. plant vegetation along the fence line with the tops of the posts sticking through here and there, quite prototypical … and then you don’t need the wire.
The water in the river is fabulous… you must be very pleased…. 

Glad you’re healing up… what is it with ladders and old blokes eh? They’ve got it in for us I reckon.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
If and it is an 'if', you only see the fence line from one side, you could cheat by cutting a slot on the hidden side of the post, then push the wire in, secure it with a dab of goo and even some filler if you think you may want to look at it in the future.

Just a thought.

Best,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt/Marty/Bill.  Marty is right about how close the poles are.  I've tried filing down a steel pin but now either the pole snaps (old plastic!) or I stab my finger when the pin goes through - I think it's more than just a little swarf.  I have to shine a torch through to see where the holes are (should be!) as well.  I think it's either pull them all out & put in post & rail fencing or Marty's idea of a lot of vegetation - leaning towards the latter.  Sandra said just wrap the wire around the post but that's not at all G.W..  Bill's idea would work as it can only be viewed from one side - still have to cut 160 slots though!
No wonder it takes so long to do anything.  I thought "few fence posts, dab of paint, thread the wire - couple of hours".  Took me longer than that to file down the pins!

Thanks for the river comments Marty but you must share some of the credit.  The fall did shake me up but I broke all the basic rules - 3 points of contact etc.  I thought "I can just reach this last branch without having to move the ladder if I just turn around" so momentarily 0 points of contact with the inevitable result.  Like most accidents, a momentary lapse of reason (to quote Floyd).

Keep well all & jolly modelling.

Posted
Rating:
Can you use just the drill bit Mal ?
Wrap the end witn tape of some kind and twiddle it between finger and thumb……

If the hole is so small, unless the posts are metal, or the holes are just indents, it shouldn't be too difficult to drill out.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Yes, very difficult !  I did think after posting that the pin vice wouldn't fit in unless you had a bit of give in the posts to bend them out of line.  What you need is something like a small Alan key shape that you can sharpen a point on the short side of, and then use an Ice lolly stick ( or something like) to hold against the back of the post to support it AND  save your fingers while you drill :thumbs

Probably only worth all the effort if it is in your face ?

Cheers

Matt 

Posted
Rating:
Could you push through the holes with a pin?
Mchael
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.