Members Monthly Project - May

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Improving RTR Locomotives -

:thumbsOwen and John I see  Nice progress on your loco,s.

Just making a start on the Jinty, Nothing Big, but vital. The Hornby axle gear Wheel needed some moding. I had to ream it out a little and resleeve it with the old Hornby plastic wheel center. This was force fitted into the gear wheel. Then the center hole reamed out to force fit onto a Markit knurled axle. Once fitted, The assembley was placed in the lathe and the center sleeve  turned down to get a nice center fit in the Jinty chassis for the gear wheel. Will do some more tomorrow.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The use of the words "lathe" and "reamer" immediately puts you in the class of model "engineering" - I tend to work with rasps and hammers..........:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Now thats what I call serious modelling.I don't think I'll ever be in the same league,the thought of all the opportunities for me to cock it up when it comes to playing aroung with gear ratios and all that engineering stuff!! I really do admire people who can do this,and wish it was a skill I had.
  I'd have loved to have had access to a lathe and a decent workshop….and someone to show me how to use it all properly!
  I think after this monthly project is over,you should do more stuff like this Derek and talk us lot through how what and why you do it.It would be very,very interesting reading.

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Six days left for this project to run,gentlemen.Still time for a few late entries??!!:mutley:mutley:mutley

:doublethumb

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:hiJohn, I had better get a move on :lol: I had to order a romford screwdriver, searched high and low for my old one, No luck :oops:

Thanks for your post on the gear wheel, I will post future photo,s on what you suggested regarding Lathe work ect :thumbs I can see a long term loan of my brother,s camera in the future,:lol:

cheers,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
Derek,
        Don't worry if you don't finish by the end of the month,the thread can run as long as it takes.
I don't want to be responsible for rushing anyone! My own loco SHOULD be finished to all intents and purposes,but I probably will carry on a while longer,as I keep finding other things I can improve on her.For example,I only recently remembered that NBrass Locos do a nice LMS bogie kit.I also may later replace the chimney,as 1014 had a taller than standard stack….need to look around and source one.
        I've got all my transfers now,and await the joy of trying to line up 4 tiny little smokebox door numbers!! ………..It'll be a miracle if I can get them out of the saucer of water!
(Note to self….White numbers will be invisible in a WHITE saucer!!!)
:mutley

Posted
Rating:
My loco certainly won't be finished by the end of the month !!!

What started out as a reasonably relaxed month (for me) has turned into a bit of a nightmare - all for good reasons but nevertheless, it's been full on with other jobs.  In addition, at the end of June, I take over as President of our Rotary Club so that's not going to be a cruise for the next 12 months !!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Pheeeewwww!!! Finally got the handrails on the other side and front of smokebox! It doesn't get any easier.
   I'll post pictures of progress tomorrow,as this evening I've got an appointment with some cool Newcastle Brown and the Champions League Cup Final!!
   COME ON YOU REDS!!!:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:
:Happy

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbsWell done John, Sorry the Reds did not perform, Hope the Newcastle ale compensated :mutley.

I should get that Jinty on the move this week, Mainly Trains are posting that romford screwdriver :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Not to worry Derek,it was a privelege to be beaten by football of that quality.Messi reminded me of Georgie Best AT his best!! You just have to take it on the chin mate!
   Anyway….back to choo-choos,here's the latest pics of 1014.I've done the loco handrails(except cab handrails) and renumbered and lettered her.She still needs lining out,tender handrails and details,crew,coal,lamp brackets,smokebox numbers,outside steam pipes etc etc.
   ……………better get cracking!!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbsThat 4P is going great John, Lots of TLC it won,t know itself.

God that reminds me! Still have all those clelestory coaches to build :oops: also boiled a GEM white metal Midland 999 2P  class loco and reduced it to parts :mutleyI must have been hung over some 30 years ago when it was bodged together :lol: I must confess I prefer the medium of Brass and Nickle Silver for building loco,s, I find it easier most times to mainly scratch build rather than trying to figure out what the heck was in the kit designer,s mind for assembling his/her (pc) "creations"

I really must find some good loco drawing supplier LNWR, L&Y and Midland, Skinley used to do a good range years ago, don,t know who is handling the range these days if anyone still is!

regards,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
Well I had a bit of a hiccup today when I tried to do that blasted smokebox number! Got the first three on just right then put too much water on with the fourth and thay got all tangled together.
  It took me ages,so I've decided to do that onorous little task last of all! The air was blue!!!
I'll plough on tonight with the tender and try to get some lining-out on her.
:thud

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Coal, crew, lamps and a discrete wash. What could be more straightforward than that?

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:hiJohn B and John F,

Sorry to see you are having problems John B with those fiddly numbers, They must be a nightmare to fit in N-Gauge, Bad enough In 00. Goodluck with the lining ect :thumbs

Great job on that loco John F, Thanks for the photo.

Okay a little progress on that Hornby nightmare, I mean Jinty :mutley

First off the lathe had to come into play,

None of the Markit Hornby axles would fit the original Hornby bearings and I had to keep the originals because they were designed for the Hornby chassis and keeper plate :cry:.

So I had to turn some bearing insets and sleeve them into the originals, Then Drill them and ream them out for the Markit axles :roll:

My trusty old HobbyMat lathe was used for the job. ;-)

Finally got the Jinty together again with its Markit wheels.

It runs okay but the coupling rods need to be packed out a little with washer,s , as the odd spark is flying when the coupling rods touch the wheel rims in places. :thud

some photos . Still in MAY :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Derek,
        You're putting some serious work in on that Jinty my friend!!! Are you going to do anything cosmetic on the body?
         :hmm
         I did one side of the tender lining this evening.The mattcoat is currently drying.I'll post more pictures once both sides are complete.I have to say my monthly project is going to spill over into June!………Oh well,I'm certainly not going to stop until she's finished.Onwards and Upwards!:roll:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
Derek,
        You're putting some serious work in on that Jinty my friend!!! Are you going to do anything cosmetic on the body?
         :hmm
         I did one side of the tender lining this evening.The mattcoat is currently drying.I'll post more pictures once both sides are complete.I have to say my monthly project is going to spill over into June!………Oh well,I'm certainly not going to stop until she's finished.Onwards and Upwards!:roll:

:thumbsThanks my friend, I still have to add/make some spacing washers to fit between the FRAME AND THE WHEEL BACKS.

Hornby Wheels had or have a big plastic center which acts both as a spacer and of course for fixing the wheel onto their axles.

If you dont make a similar setup with the Markits. ie. put in a spacer, Then there is far to much side play on the axle,s wheels. So I need to make/buy some plastic/fibre washers to act out the same function as our Hornby friends.

Regarding the old Jinty :cry: body.It will likely end up in Shunter,s scrap yard :mutley.

Good to see you are moving ahead with your 4P John, I am looking forward to seeing it in all its Midland Glory :thumbs.

Only 2 proper colours for loco,s RED or BLACK with some nice shiny brass work :lol:

Cheers enjoy the week,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
Derek,
         I realise our month is now officially over,but I ain't quitting,and I'm sure the rest of you participants will carry on til you're done!
         I'm carrying on this evening….may post pics later or tomorrow!!
:pathead

Posted
Rating:
I'm still there bringing up the rear.

Short of time as ever at this time of year but I've still got a loco to improve. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:doublethumbThats the spirit lads, Anyway I am coming around to Peters thinking, It says May project not what year :mutley

:cheers

Posted
Rating:
[user=477]shunter1[/user] wrote:
:doublethumbThats the spirit lads, Anyway I am coming around to Peters thinking, It says May project not what year :mutley

:cheers
:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs  Ataboy !!  That's the French way of thinking. :cheers

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.