Members Monthly Project - May

Posted
Rating:

Improving RTR Locomotives -

What length knobs did you use Owen ?  I noticed on the prototype the rails were straight (like yours) requiring some longer knobs where they stand further off the boiler.

I'll probably have to order 2 or 3 different lengths from Markits unless I just set them deeper into the boiler……….but then I might foul the motor …or I suppose if I buy the longest, I could cut them shorter where needed :roll::roll:

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbsNeat job Owen, Looks like you used medium and short handrail knobs?

That paint stripped off well :thumbs

Ah the good old coco-cola, the original brew used to have cocaine in the mix up until the 1930,s .

They still give it the coca leaf flavour for their south American market. :lol:

Its a great tarnish remover.

Posted
Rating:
Owen,
        You came in last with THREE locos,and the way you're cracking on,you'll have finished 'em all before we get our handrails on! You certainly don't hang about mate!
        Looking good so far young man,now just you slow down a bit and give us all chance to catch up with you!:lol:

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi John, mainly trains has debited my card so I should see something arriving soon, I think the Markit guy must have forgotten or misplaced my order, will check him on Monday morning.
I have to go for an operation on tuesday next, Left Knee and ankle joints need some maintainance!
I know Peter will say, that fellow from orange trains country will use any excuse for his slow work. haha.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John said slow down, well I dropped a handrail eye today over an hour to find it, then 20 mins putting it back on the rail,
the hole heals up and you can`t find it:mutley
that slow enough ?

the Ivatt is done.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=477]shunter1[/user] wrote:
………………………………………
I know Peter will say, that fellow from orange trains country will use any excuse for his slow work. haha.
I never said a word ……………………………………:roll::roll::roll::roll::cheers:mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=15]owen69[/user] wrote:
John said slow down, well I dropped a handrail eye today over an hour to find it, then 20 mins putting it back on the rail,
the hole heals up and you can`t find it:mutley
that slow enough ?

the Ivatt is done.

A bit like pierced ears Owen - they apparently heal up too but I don't like your off the cuff comment that "the Ivatt is done" :shock::shock::shock:

Mine's still awaiting the 1200 grit paper but then the pace of life was always slower in France …………:roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Peter it was not an off the cuff comment, I was about to post a picture when I was called away,
so here it is

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
here is the princess with  the undercoat partly rubbed down,

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
Are you related to Dave Bentley by any chance ? …………..:roll::lol::lol::lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
the black is just a wash to show any imperfections, then another coat of primer and rub down again,

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I'm enjoying watching all of this.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
here is where I got my rails,e-bay spares,

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Nice job on the Ivatt,Owen.At the rate you're going,you could fit another half dozen locos in before the end of this Monthly Project!!!:lol:
:pathead

PS.I'll post some update pictures on mine tonight when the wife gets back with her camera.
At the moment,I've got her painted Crimson Lake and she's ready to recieve her handrails and transfers.I'm working on removing the plastic coal ready to add real coal and tender details.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
a small crisis has brought things to a grinding halt,, my compressor has give up the ghost,so until I can afford another one ???
there will not be any major paint jobs being done,
here is the last pic of the princess so far

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I will put the handrails on and then leave it as a job in progress,

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Owen,
        She's looking good mate! Once you've got your compressor sorted,and you finish her off she'll look like a real Princess!!I really think these little touches make a world of difference,and apart from improving their looks,they "personalise" them and make them your own unique loco.
        We've seen your finished Ivatt….whats happening with the other loco???
:hmm

Posted
Rating:
Apologies for the poor standard of photos,and my delay in posting them.In my defence,I had a rotten streaming cold this weekend,and I really struggled to get anywhere!!
I only finished one side of handrails,and just gave the old girl a splash of Crimson Lake to cover her battle scarred body.
  I also hacked out that plastic coal from the tender.Normally,I'd just glue real coal over the top of the moulded load,but I fancied trying something different with this one.(Silly Boy!:roll:)
 Here's pictures of my progress so far:

Still plenty to do;
Handrails on far side.
lots of tender detail
outside steam pipes
crew,transfers all over,
possibly a new front bogie
….and possibly a new slightly taller chimney that 1014 had!!!

………….onwards and upwards!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
at least you got the right colour! it looks good as is, will be the biz with the other add-ons you have in mind,
waiting to see the finished job,
my other loco is a black princess,but now I am in gear I do have others in mind you have unleashed a Monster….

:doublethumb:lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Owen,
       If you had two "Princess Elizabeth"s,you've now got the opportunity to renumber/rename one/both of them.Fox do some nice tarty brass nameplates as well as the transfers!(All this plugging of these companies,I should be on a commision!!!)
       I've got FOUR "Sketty Halls" to sort out new identities for sometime in the distant future!!!:roll::lol:
The trouble with this caper is,once you get started,you don't want to stop.Its no wonder I take so long to build a damned layout!

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.