What to do?

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Back was improving, so last week I decided to get on with some housework.

Cleaned all the kitchen worktops and the cooker hood, with the intention of hoovering and mopping the floors the following day……………………………………………………………………big mistake.

Now back sitting in front of the TV and hobbling around doing very little.

Carry baseboards in and out from the garage is definitely out of the question, but then I saw this

https://scalescenes.com/product/ly02-canal-wharf-boxfile-layout/

I'm not great at cutting card, but hey, well, why not.

I thought a box file was just a box file, but if you look at the picture with dimensions it has to be between 70 and 75mm high, 368 to 375mm wide, 245 to 264mm deep and 315 to 335mm from the bottom to the top of the open lid.

None of the ones we had at home had quite all the right dimensions, so I've had to resort to fleabay and ordered some.

Hopefully, some time next week, I'll be able to do something a bit more constructive.

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed,

What a great post. Notwithstanding news of your returning back pain (hope you got plenty of brownie points for cleaning all those surfaces), I was looking for the 'like' button.

What a great box file project. It ticks so many boxes and is full of detail and lends itself to so much more.

I have yet to fully get to grips with card modelling, but this project should provide lots of incentive to many people.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you are feeling up to some modelling soon.

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks BIll, but the only brownie points I get will be awarded by me  :lol:

I live with my older sister who is currently having chemo, so what cleaning that gets done is normally by us and a friend who was coming in twice a week.

Since the lockdown, our cleaner has just been running errands for us, as she works in a shop part time and we can't risk her coming inside.

We'll manage and I'm sure there are people in much worse circumstances.

I could make this box file layout in narrow gauge, but I've decided to go standard gauge, which has given me an excuse to order one of these.

(Just couldn't resist any longer).

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sorry to hear your crook again Ed - that's what comes of doing housework plus, no sooner has it been done than it needs doing again.  Best left alone I think !!!

I saw that boxfile wharf too - on John Wiffen's mailing list we see all his new projects on release.

His models are a delight - his design turns card into reinforced concrete - they're unbelievably strong.

They're also great fun to make if at times, a little repetitive on the larger models with all the cutting and laminating of similar pieces.

Get yourself plenty of blades, a decent, sturdy craft knife, a good metal rule and away you go.

Don't forget to post regular updates and, if you get stuck, Dooferdog is like John Wiffen's shadow ……………… :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
that's what comes of doing housework plus, no sooner has it been done than it needs doing again.
Ain't that the truth  :lol:

I've got a good supply of Stanley HD blades, which I believe was the weapon of choice of the late Alan Downes, but I won't get anywhere near his standard.

I've also bought a new Excel knife and blades from Eileen's Emporium, along with some set squares. I've got a query in with them at the moment though, can't understand why six not very heavy items, that came in an A5 sized jiffy bag, cost £9 in shipping  :???:

Know what you mean about repetitive cutting and laminating Peter, from when I did one of his retaining walls some years ago on Latton Fields.

When I've got everything for this, I'll start a new thread.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ah yes - I'd forgotten you did Latton Fields Ed so you're an old hand at this stuff.

Don't start me off on postage charges - I've lived in France for nearly 20 years but still buy lots of railway stuff from UK.  Postage charges can vary between the cost of a small glass of mediocre red to the cost of the whole darned vineyard !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Don't know about 'old hand' Peter, I'm still not very good at cutting straight lines, even after using one of Doug's (Dooferdog's) tips about using blu tack to hold the straight edge down  :lol:

The postage charge from Eileen's Emporium just seems a bit excessive.

When I've ordered stuff before it's been a flat rate £4, similar to what Hatton's used to do.

Might be because it was knife blades or due to the current circumstances, don't know, just awaiting their reply.

Of course, I forgot to add the lead sheet I wanted for adding weight to wagons to the order, so that will definitely have to wait.

Think I need to start making lists, similar to what I think Keith does for Birkenhead Woodside.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed
Sorry to hear your back has flared up again. I have similar problems …..its the unpredicatability of a spasm which I find so frustrating…….hope it gets better soon

Looking forward to seeing your box file layout develop ….should be great fun and very therapeutic. What a super little loco you have chosen for the layout…..do post some photos when it arrives

Best wishes

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
What a super little loco you have chosen for the layout…..do post some photos when it arrives
Will do John.

Think a few people on here bought versions when they first came out, Jeff (SRman) maybe and all seemed to say it was a nice Hornby model.

Of course I do have some other 0-4-0s, but they're all un-DCCed (chip removed) and retired to a display cabinet, so I had to buy a new one………. didn't I  :oops:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
:mutley :mutley :mutley :mutley

Chips removed …………………….. :hmm  I must remember that one although fortunately, the only chips Liz understands at present have to be fried …………

I find it very useful if one doesn't educate them too much - that way, there's far more wool available to pull over their eyes ………  I'm dreading Liz finding out I can only stable 3 coach trains and linking that to the number of main line locos I have ………………………… ;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Well, you always need extra locomotives in the (unlikely) event of breakdowns Peter, then there's double heading for heavy trains and you'll need bankers for your inclines  :lol:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
I could make this box file layout in narrow gauge, but I've decided to go standard gauge, which has given me an excuse to order one of these.

(Just couldn't resist any longer).

Ed
Execllent choice Ed and what a great price!

I ran mine in a couple of months ago and it is a lovely smooth runner, while the detail is simply amazing for its diminutive size.

Like you, I simply couldn't resist it!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
One of the pitfalls of the hobby Bill, if manufacturers will keep producing these wonderful little models, what can we do except buy 'em  :oops:

Boxfiles arrived today, but are no good.

The ends are plastic and all the corners are beveled.

Fortunately, we were able to swap it for one that was in use filing documents, which is about the right size.

I've also received 1mm, 2mm, and 20gsm card, and ordered some more printer paper and ink, both of which seem to be in short supply.

Must be something to do with a lot of people working from home.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
It sounds very much as if the parts of a well conceived plan are gradually falling into place Ed. Roll on paper and ink!

May it continue all in the right direction,

Bill

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
'I've also bought a new Excel knife and blades from Eileen's Emporium, along with some set squares. I've got a query in with them at the moment though, can't understand why six not very heavy items, that came in an A5 sized jiffy bag, cost £9 in shipping  :???:
Had a reply from Eileen's Emporium:

"It is not the size that makes this expensive. Royal Mail require       that all blades be sent on a proof of age service. You will see       the word AGE on the shipping lable. I know it is a pain, but I       have to obey the regulations.     Feel free to complain to Royal Mail."

No worries, but a bit daft then that he/she just put it through the letter box  :lol:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Maybe they just do spot checks Ed.  :roll:  You should have had the package sent to your Grandad ……………

Try ot get your head around why Amazon UK aren't allowed to send blank CD/DVD discs to France but can send recorded ones ………………….. :???:   Buying them from Amazon.fr is of course,  more expensive …………..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
I'd have a job Peter, he's been dead for 28 years  :lol:

Can't you get CDs/DCD's sent to a relative in the UK, to post them on?

It appears CDs and DVDs are going the way of the old cassette tapes and being replaced by people streaming from the web or saving to memory sticks.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Yes Ed, I can get stuff sent on by my children but it creates extra work for them and extra postage.  I was only illustrating the stupidity of some of the regulations.

I think you're right about people streaming everything now although I've only just got used to not having to change needles on my gramaphone !!!

Unfortunately, progress spells the death knell for so many businesses - record, tape and CD manufacturers and the  shops selling them, cinemas and the ancilliary industries with films now being either put on DVDs or streaming via the likes of Netflix, even the great Kodak organisation went down when digital came in thereby destroying their massive film operation.

Progress often kills off many and benefits just a few.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Get well soon, Ed!

Bisto [who I don't think you knew…]

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.