Small prairie 4566

Posted
Rating:
#158533 (In Topic #8941)
Inactive Member
One of the smaller GW prairie's 4566 at Bewdley. One of Barry's survivors. The railway preservation world owes such a debt to the late Dai Woodham.
© David Meaden

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Stunning.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1342]mynnyddog[/user] wrote:
……………………………………………………The railway preservation world owes such a debt to the late Dai Woodham.
It could also be the other way round David …………:roll::roll:

I don't think Dai Woodham was at all philanthropic - stuff was arriving faster than he could cut it up……… :roll:

He realised there was money to be made out of selling locos to enthusiasts and wouldn't have the bother of cutting them up.  He didn't lose a penny on any of the preserved locos and, in many cases, made far more than their scrap value.

In his defence, he did hang on to locos until the enthusiasts could raise his asking price (but only because he had plenty of other things to cut up …………)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
One that was built ten numbers before!!

4556 with a passenger train approaches Boncath.

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
[user=1342]mynnyddog[/user] wrote:
……………………………………………………The railway preservation world owes such a debt to the late Dai Woodham.
It could also be the other way round David …………:roll::roll:

I don't think Dai Woodham was at all philanthropic - stuff was arriving faster than he could cut it up……… :roll:

He realised there was money to be made out of selling locos to enthusiasts and wouldn't have the bother of cutting them up.  He didn't lose a penny on any of the preserved locos and, in many cases, made far more than their scrap value.

In his defence, he did hang on to locos until the enthusiasts could raise his asking price (but only because he had plenty of other things to cut up …………)

To be fair, he was busy scrapping wagons before he thought about the enthusiasts.

The wagons were easy, and gave a quick return, also clearing space for more scrap!

The idea (for preservation) came from the enthusiasts, although he saw the plus side

for himself!

Jeff

Jeff

Posted
Rating:
Fantastically clear and useful photos David. I have two of these in N on my NE layout and these photos will help tremendously.
cheers
Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I bought a book on the Barry scrapyard, absolutely fascinating. As sia above I think it was due tothevolume of scrapping thatWoodham could afford to buy the preservationists time. None the less I'll bet it was more a commercial decision rather than an affair of the heart.

Really, who cares, it was a win win situation. Wood ham made better money from sellingthelocos on under the banner of an ongoing concern than he did as scrap,and the preservationists were given time to get the dosh together ( in most cases ). Illbettheywerealso give the opportunity to amass some spare parts as well. Sound…….

The book does make reference tothe fact that the loco's were not to be sold on in an " operational condition" so I don't know what state of disrepair they would have to had been in. I f anyone actually checked that is.

Fascinating none the less.

The book is well worth a read.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Another pic of a 'Small prairie', one of the last 6, in working order , shedded at Southall in '64, note the kinked running plate.

Last edit: by bike2steam

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
To think i might have seen that in the flesh.Smack bang in the middle of my trainspotting days.A platform ticket at Southall used to cost sixpence.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
To me the 45xxs were the quintessential branch-line locomotive. They got a bit poofier when they added tapered tanks IMHO!
Thanks for posting

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
The GW had to increase the water capacity to stop them running out, you know what they say about GW locos,- can't pass a water column without stopping for water. I thought the bigger tanks gave them a more balanced appearance, similar to McLeod's improvement to the IoW O2 0-4-4T's.
The last small prairies( 5508/31/45/64/69/71) were transferred to Southall to work the Brentford branch as at the time it was heavily industrialized with much rail born traffic, the 350's weren't fast enough to cope, and I was lucky enough to see all of them on my forays to 81C, when I didn't get slung out by the shed foreman:lol:.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Hi Paul,i didn't realise you knew about Southall.A question for you,would you know what shunters were used at Southall around the early sixties?.I used to watch the shunting from my bedroom window when i was young and we kids used to get a ride on the shunter if we were lucky.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Shunters seen around the Southall area weren't strictly 81C's own allocation, there was an 'overlap' between both Old Oak, and Slough, that's to say - if one depot was short of a loco it would call on the other. But try this;-

http://brdatabase.info/

go into 'menu' - sites- depot . Then scroll down to required depot, go to the depot then the list has 'snapshot' that will give you the allocation on a given month/year.

Last edit: by bike2steam

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Thanks for that Paul.

Regards

Alan

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.