Going large - building large layouts

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Barry. …..
 PS you probably have got this job in hand, but model signal box manufacturer’s do not cater for the point rodding where it enters the signal box, which would make it a lot easier to cut out before construction of the kit. Best wishes Kevin
My Metcalfe kit did have that feature. In fact I was so unfamiliar with such matters back when I assembled it I had to ask what the slot was for! I was thinking ventilation perhaps?

Strange omission if other models do not cater for rodding access, now that I know  :roll:
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The rodding from many signal cabins ran below the platform in a substantial access tunnel (when the cabin was located on a platform). Rather inconvenient for passengers if it didn't.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi all

I am minded to use a ramp in front of the box to hide the exit point of rodding and to provide the walkway that appears at many.  There were plenty of wooden ramps and covers for staff safety and these can be useful to hide rod connections.

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I used a ramp here

very early days on building Charde… 2011 to be precise

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:

So I'm still going quietly mad making point rodding runs.  There are 9 runs here serving the branch loco shed and some of the pointwork at the Down end.  You can see the cranks waiting for the 18 runs that go to the right for the yard etc.  The 9 white rods under the track will be replaced by proper rodding in due course.

The buildings at Butterbump & Mumby for the factory are painted and "black-washed".  The groundwork needs completing but I like the way this is looking

The latest build is the overbridge at Yarslow.  The base is picture frame card with plastic card overlays.  The butresses are layers of card.  I have covered the butresses and added brickwork for the parapets since this picture was taken.  I have some card pavements for the top and will paint the road grey.  I promise not to put a bus on it but it's tempting  :twisted:.  Behind the bridge is is a ploystyrene lump that supports the road, the top of the ramp down to platfrom level and the base/garden for a pub (perhaps) in the corner.

In a moment of complete crazy I started to mock up the buildings at Trinity Square, again using framers card.  The building on the left is the goods office and covers the controller/switches for the TSQ yard.  On the right are the offices of the Traffic Manager and the Superintendants staff.  There will be a main station building covering 3 or 4 floors across the end.

So I have had 4 or 5 weeks of wandering around in the desert of motivation - hours in the shed achieving nothing, flitting from job to job, dreading the point-rodding and having to ballast.

Only in the last few days have I actually started to feel like I want to get back out there with enthusiasm.  I knew this would happen at some point and am glad that, at least, whilst I have done nothing constructive in the shed, we have finished the front garden at the house, developed the veg plot, I have made good progress with a couple of other modelling projects (model soldiers and the club 009 layout) and we have had a few breaks away.

I am planning a Model Railway Club morning at the shed some time in July so have set myself a target to get the point rodding and scenery developed by then.

Plodding on……………………

Posted
Rating:
Glad you are getting back into it. The recent update is great, I really like the bridgework. 

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Chris.  I appreciate your interest!!!  It might spur me on to finish something…….. :shock:

Last edit: by Barry Miltenburg

Posted
Rating:

The bridge is now basically done and I have added a wall that runs behind the Down platform.  Behind it, the ramp leading from road level down to the platform can be seen.  I have some scenic tidying up to do here - filling in the void between the wall and the ramp.  The Wills "Cast Iron" bridgework needs painting and the whole thing needs weathering as well before fixing down.

From the other side, the route of the roadway and the flat section to the back right can be seen.  This will be the site of a pub or garage or something - not sure what yet.  Note the extra filler required to re-shape the original polystyrene embankment.  The walling needs to continue beyond the bend on both sides but I will use railings beyond the bridge to protect the side of the roadway instead of brick parapets.  The groundframe in the foreground (Bachmann Scenics) is for the old wagon works, now PW yard and will have a release rod from the signal box.

The Wills point rodding goes on (and on and on…).  I have got through about 3 dozen kits so far and I've really only done the branch line end.  I reckon I've done about 1/3rd of the whole so far - and I have not done the angle cranks, only the actual rods.  To save work (and my sanity - seriously!!), I am contemplating a second signal box at the Up end to serve the PW yard and loop line - "No 2 Box" perhaps.  The existing one is situated at the Junction so could be called Yarslow Junction and thus, the new one could be the "Station" box instead.  That would save about 60 feet of rodding  :shock:

Bashing on……..

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry,

Maximum length of point rodding was from a signal box was 350 yards, so about 13 feet in 1:76.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel

Thanks for this piece of information.  Technically, my pointwork covers less than a scale 700 ft but, of course, there is a load of compression going on so I am going to investigate that second signal box with some gusto now.

Thanks for rescuing my sanity!!!

Barry

Posted
Rating:

Now known as Yarslow South Signal box, this used to be at Trinity Square and will require some remedial work before being properly installed.  The walls are faced card with platicard tops.  The facing matches the overbridge and platform walls as you would expect.

I have been making lots of sub-assemblies for the rodding in an attempt to keep from going completely mad.  I do an hour of rodding then an hour of something else.  As it happens, this sub assembly needs rebuilding as the angles are wrong  :sad:.

The job has been broken down into 6 small projects as a way to create a feeling of progress.  The first (branch) section is finished, wiring tested, rails painted and ballasted.  The second (up main) has had the rodding done and extra droppers added for the wiring.  I will paint the rails up to the overbridge and then ballast when I am happy that the couple of sections suffering from volt-drop are cured [between the Up-1 and Up-2 sections there was a noticable slow-down of trains, caused by the immense lengths of wire running from the controller, through all the connections in the Master Cab Control Panel and back to the track].  Other sections are Down main, yard, Up main beyond the overbridge and Down main beyond the overbridge.  The last 2 involve rodding for the new signal box.  Only a small section of the down line wiring needs attention. 

Eventually, I hope to re-wire the storage yards, removing as many of the links through the tag-strip as I can.  They have started, after a couple of summers and a winter, to cause one or two problems, mostly, again, as a result of the over-long runs of wire.  I reckon about 50% of this wire can go!

Whilst waiting for paint, glue and ballast to dry, I have made two more cartridges.  This is the pigeon train - 3 BGs, a Siphon and a van taking the precious birds for a release somewhere up the line (the ends of the sides have now been trimmed!).  In the background are the "Boys" school train, milk and ballast workings.  The other new cartridge is for the horse box special.  I need a few more - stopping freight, engineers crane and (possibly) a cement train.

Time is still an issue - we are stupid busy at present with weekends away, the Ladies football Euros starting next week and the usual family related stuff like 90th birthdays for Aunty etc etc.  Nevertheless, I spend as much time as I can working on these little projects and, at last, feel I am getting somewhere.

Bashing on………..

Posted
Rating:
Anyone who knows me will know that I have a thing about ladders - or they have a thing about me  :sad:

Earlier, whilst finishing a spot of DIY and looking forward to an evening of shed-time, BOSH! 

(Taken on iPhone hence sideways!)

One minute, up on the ladder minding me own and next, I'm heading tail first towards the floor.  Saved myself by landing on my thumb.  Perhaps not the best idea  :cry:.  Last time I broke 2 ribs.  This time just a very sore, swollen thumb.  Thats 2-0 to ladders so I'm quitting whilst I'm behind.

No chance of doing the last of the point rodding this weekend and being able to install Yarslow signal box.

And they say older is wiser………….

Posted
Rating:
Lucky I suppose. Only a sore thumb is better than landing on your swede. Get well soon.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry.    Sorry to hear that but I can only wish you well and get back to your layout soon.  Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Ouch !  That's going to be a bit painful for a day or so ………………….. :shock:

Another ladderphobe eh ?  A few years ago one broke under my feather weight body and put me on a life support machine for almost a week.  I try to avoid them now if I can.  You should do the same - such injuries play havoc with the modelling schedules …………..

As they say on the cards - "Get Well Soon" ………. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ouch!

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys

Today I am mostly going yellow from the tip of my thumb to a point half-way up the inside of my forearm  :sad:

I have taken the offending ladders to the Council recycling point and now only use a set of low steps.  Its it too high I ask the wife to do it  :lol: :lol:

On Saturday, I plan to get into the shed to finish the point rodding for the main signal box.  More house guests next week but thereafter, I am looking forward to having a good run of work days.  That will allow me to get the rodding, ballast and basic scenery at Yarslow done.  I will post some pics when I make some progress.

Posted
Rating:
That does sound sore. I'd be inclined to take it easy so it heals quicker. I think the least you could do is buy wifey a proper ladder.  ;-)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
The point rodding continues……

So I decided, as the South African Test series was starting, to set up my tuner and old hi-fi.  There are a pair of 100W Wharfedale speakers attached to I can entertain the neighbours with the exploits of Messrs Anderson and Broad!!!  The trailing white lead belongs to the Yarslow yard walk-about controller.  I should get the velcro out for it - I did all the others and somehow forgot this one  :oops:.

I've also bought another 4 strip lights to negate that annoying light-dark-light thing going on over the scenic sections.  I will have to rewire the lights to fit them in but will do that when I fancy a non-train day.

Finally  :doublethumb :doublethumb :chicken :chicken :doublethumb :doublethumb :chicken :chicken :cheers :cheers :Happy :Happy I have finished the point rodding for the main signal box.  To celebrate, I ballasted and weathered the main and branch lines at the Down end of Yarslow and started on the basic scenics.  A coat of Polyripple (rough) which has a grit-like finish gives me a base coat over which I will paint chocolate brown paint before using scatters and static grass.  Richard at Everard Junction is my guide - he has some great looking scenery on his layout and I find his videos on YouTube very enlightening.  Below, although this is only yellow and green paint over the surface of Polyripple on the polystyrene shapes, the layout is already starting to come to life!!

Note that I have used fine granite for the main line ballast and a course sand grit for the loop and sidings.  The latter needs more weathering to lose the yellow colour.  Once weathered and ballasted, the Peco Code 75 does not look too bad, despite that fact that the sleepers are all wrong.

Today, chocolate brown paint.  Bashing on………..

Last edit: by Barry Miltenburg

Posted
Rating:
Looking good, but I can't help but notice that you're using Wharfddale speakers. What a good choice.

Cheers Pete.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.