Going large - building large layouts

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry.    I found one of your Google online videos which was very interesting, when I tried the 🛎 button to subscribe but I couldn’t get through??? to Google with my phone number. Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It's only 'too big' when you don't care about it anymore :hmm

'Kev

Posted
Rating:

I have been able to enjoy a couple of good days in the shed recently and thus Trinity Square is starting to take shape.  The far board (8 feet) if laid, wired and fixed down but the board nearest the camera has just had track laid.  Unfortunately, the double slip sits across the joint so it will be fun getting the motors fitted correctly!  The far one is in and working after a bit of a faff.

As you can just detect where the baseboard indents, I have gone for the Peco lever frame again for the points - I just like the tactile nature of the switches and might change those at Middle Junction.  They also have the advantage of giving an indication of the position of the points whereas the on-on momentary switches I am using now do not do this.  Glancing across at the MJ panel from the Yarslow panel gives me no idea how the points are lying.  At the PW yard, where there are only 2 switches and the panel is very local, it's not so important.  The lack of real estate prevents me from using them in the Trinity Square storage area.

The 4 tracks nearest the camera above are Platform 4 and the 3 sidings where the van traffic will be handled.  I have decided to cut back on the length of these sidings and add a goods storage shed in about the position of the camera.  This will allow me to mount the local controller (DIN) plug and the 2 point control switches for the sidings in the back of the building rather than at the end (which was my original plan). 

Being DC, I have included 13 isolator sections around the station to hold locos and trains,  No doubt you DCC chaps will be laughing at me for that!

The other electrical change relates to the loco shed.  Originally I was going to have the "TSQ Yard" section switchable between the sidings and the loco yard but on reflection, it makes sense to have the loco yard switchable between "TSQ Yard" and "TSQ" sections via a local switch (known as "Local Cab Control" for those interested).  This way, either the station operator or the yard shunter can take control of the loco shed area and move engines - either to/from trains or around the shed after servicing.

I am hoping to have the station wired this week so that I can run trains into and out of the platform roads by the time my MRC mob come over for a play (and a mince pie) next week.

Bashing on………..

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
That's looking very smart Barry but it doesn't appeal to me at all ……………………. :cool wink :hmm :mutley

If it were me, I'd avoid points over a baseboard join like the plague.  Apart from the difficulty fitting the motors, wood, other than MDF,  is a "living" material and will therefore move. Expansion and contraction will move that joint - very slightly maybe but nevertheless, it will move.  Double Slips are extremely sensitive beasts and placing one over a join would constantly be a worry ……………

Can't you lengthen or shorten the requisite tracks by 6 or 8 inches so the slip sits on a solid base - if not the whole slip, then at least the operating parts ?

Regarding point set identification, have you thought about using LEDs to mark their position ?  You wouldn't necessarily need a mimic panel, just a pair of LEDs - top one straight on, bottom one, set or even red set and green straight on ………………….not too complicated in wiring terms, especially as you've opted for the miles of wire required by DC anyway………….. :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter

Believe me when I say that I have explored every track formation possible to avoid a double slip over a board joint!!  My compromise in another place where it was unavoidable at Yarslow was to fit a plethora of extra noggins under the baseboard joint to ensure as little movement as possible.  I know that the noggins are wood……….

I get the feeling that the miles of wire this project uses is becoming something of a defining feature  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps I should rename the layout with something that is an anagram of "MILES OF WIRE"  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry,

DCC for a layout such as yours would have quite a few power districts (stops a short from disabling the rest of the layout). 

Rather than trying to lock the boards, have a bit of wiggle room in the double slip and don't glue until it all works well. In fact, just increase the gaps in the rail connections at either end. I seem to recall mentioning a small heat pump to keep temperatures and humidity even when you were at the planning stage….

You did seal the wood?

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel

I did give the wood a coat of clear varnish to seal it.  I have found in the past that paint can distort ply if you dont get the coverage even (including decent ply) and on the last layout, a heavy coat of varnish was not kind to the track pins.
I have braced the wood more heavily this time with 3x1 rather than 2x1 and kept tight centres for the noggins - another set of headaches for those parts of the layout where lots of points/point motors come together.  One of the reasons I went for surface-mounted motors in the storage sidings was the number and frequency of noggins to ensure that the long straights stayed straight.

Barry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry,

I was thrown by the use of noggins, thinking what's eggnog got to do with it? (Noggins are of course usually found in stud walls and joist floors/ceilings to keep the load bearing parts parallel). If the top is fixed to the frame you should only need the usual load bearing spacers (16" centers). Or did you use additional framining inside parallel to the sides? (where you would need noggings). I've read and seen this done with aluminium spars, not so common with wood.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel

Apologies for using British words without due regard for the International flavour of the forum

Where baseboards join, I either use a 2x2 cross member to which both boards are fixed, or add 2x1 timbers across the joint fixed to both surfaces with 2 or 3 screws.  You can see this in the centre of this old photo of the storage area (in front of the train). 

Barry

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=2006]Barry Miltenburg[/user] wrote:
I get the feeling that the miles of wire this project uses is becoming something of a defining feature  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps I should rename the layout with something that is an anagram of "MILES OF WIRE"  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barry

Miles of wire

Filmore wise

Lowe misfire

Emil of wires

Elifori Mews

Mi life worse

Fir lime woes

Foil me wires

Feil me swore

Feilmoss weir

Feilmow rise

Woe fir miles

Best I could come up with in me lunch hour  :hmm . . . Ok no more frivolous time wasting. . Back to work. 

:mutley :mutley :mutley

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry. Keep on till the end of the road, I thought that you would have an insight on the prices, you know there are a lot of modellers, like me, that are awaiting to see the next step of “Yarslow”. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant Matt
That bridge on the branch should cross Feilmoss Weir!!

Barry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry.   If you were a new boy to wiring model Railways? I would have suggested common return, to save the outlay, but I guess that you would have passed that stage when you were at school, unlike the sparks they sent to check the sockets and switches around the house when he saw “ the pull switch over the bed “, he had never seen one before.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  I didn’t know that you did cross words, or is there an anagram programme on your computer :mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Matt.  I didn’t know that you did cross words, or is there an anagram programme on your computer :mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley. Best wishes Kevin 

Whats a ' Rampage on grammer ' when its at home Kevin ?  :hmm

None on my computer  :It's a no no

:mutley :mutley :mutley

Anyway lets get orf Barry's thread before we get kicked orf !!  :cool wink

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.   Good idea son. You are the one with the capabilities.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Everything I look at your posts I’m in ore at the huge amount of space you have. I am always amazed at your progress compared to the baby steps I make!

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Chris

At the moment, track-laying, wiring and installing switchgear is a relatively quick operation but I know that pace will slow when I get to point rodding, ballast, buildings etc!

I am trying to get the layout working well for the MRC morning next week.  Smod's Law ensures that I broke a soldered joint on the back of the MCCP earlier, my new B12 got a strange dose of the Abb-dabbs this morning and a pair of recently acquired coaches (pre-loved I must admit) suddenly hate the pointwork approaching the storage area.

I'm sure it will all work prefectly once everyone goes home!!!!!

Barry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=2006]Barry Miltenburg[/user] wrote:

I'm sure it will all work perfectly once everyone goes home!!!!!

Barry

I know that very well, having an op session with crew, they find faults & do you think I can replicate them ???

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:

Three cheers for Santa!!   :cheers

My CMX track cleaner arrived this morning so I will be giving as much of the track as possible a going-over this afternoon.  It is a really heavy bit of kit (332 grammes) so I will probably employ a couple of Class 24's or 25's to pull it around.  It is certainly not something that an 0-6-0T is likely to manage - especially up anything of a gradient.

I will feedback some results shortly

Barry

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.