Johns 7mm Wagon Workbench

Posted
Rating:
So, having had my fun with weathering powders, I turn my attention back to scrofulous mineral wagons.

I sprayed the wagons black all over yesterday and today I painted the bodies rust.

I was going to use Maskol but the bottle I have is I don't know how many years old and was unusable.

I recalled something I'd seen from the AFV modellers.  The overall rust coat is acrylic.  I repainted patches of rust (Humbrol red brown I think) and while wet, sprinkled salt on it as you can see.

This may go all pear shaped before I'm done.

The next step will be to apply grey paint and transfers.  When all is dry, I should be able to knock off the salt which will look like peeling paint with rust underneath.  Fingers crossed.

John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Scrofulous - very apt, John.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Stunning work, John. Just simply stunning.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
They look like they have limpets attached John :mutley

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
They certainly look like they've been struck by something not of this world.  I'm just in the process of completing construction.  They actually look like what I intended.  Pics soon.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
As promised here are the two minerals after painting and final construction:

I'm far from finished and final weathering should blend things together.

…and now for something completely different.

While waiting for paint to dry I decided to make a start on the Slaters GWR 18' 6" Cattle Truck.

The kit will make either a Diag. W1 with standard manual handbrake or W5 with Dean Churchward vacuum fitted brakes.  I will do the latter since I have photos of these in the early BR era.  W5 trucks were built between 1902 and 1911 with a total of 575.

There isn't a whole lot to do on the body beyond fitting wires and door catch.

The interior is painted using rattle can paint from the DIY store, nothing fancy.  Exterior has been primed.  The final colour is going to be bauxite.

I painted the floor concrete which looks to my eye a lot like natural wood.  I'll apply some weathering powder to give it a worn look.

I used 0.040' x 0.040" plastic strip for the roof battens.  Nothing was included in the kit.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
…They actually look like what I intended.  Pics soon.

John
I know what you mean, John. It happens to me on occasion !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Yesterday was spent on lettering and marking the mineral wagons:

The wagon number was assembled digit by digit, very stressful.

Still a ways to go.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
So, I've been splashing powder on the minerals and got this:

It's all about layering really.  The key to the effect is, of course the peeling paint.

The wagon on the right got an extra layer of black powder.  The one on the left left with more rust coloured patches.

I think I prefer the one on the right.

Opinions?

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
So, I've been splashing powder on the minerals and got this:

It's all about layering really.  The key to the effect is, of course the peeling paint.

The wagon on the right got an extra layer of black powder.  The one on the left left with more rust coloured patches.

I think I prefer the one on the right.

Opinions?

John
I'm sure there's a lot more to it than just 'splashing about', John.

Lovely work as always. I can't get enough of Brossard builds !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You've nailed the paint, John.    :thumbs

I can't separate them.

Posted
Rating:
I am going to be slightly contrary and say that I prefer the one on the left myself. 
That's not to say that there is anything wrong with the the other one though! 

I haven' done any peeling paint with rust patches yet, despite thinking about it. The nearest I have come is this.

Apologies for the highjack John

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Nice work, and done without powders I'm guessing.

I think the rust is perhaps too red on the left wagon, it should be dirtier.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Super work as always John. The attention to detail and number alignment is impressive.
Does the water tank wagon filler cap need handling marks like the brake handles of the 3 plank wagon?

Cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Marty.  I probably should have rubbed a silver pencil over the handle.  However, I've delivered it to the owner so it'll have to stay as is.

The white marks on the brake handles were to help shunters see them in the gloom of a yard at night, or so I believe.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Nice work, and done without powders I'm guessing.

Hi John,

Yes, all done with brush painted acrylics cut back with meths. Which I had at the time just discovered allows you to do the same sort of cutting back as a cotton bud and white spirit with enamels. 

I have since discovered that IPA does the same. It's worth noting though, that both really need to be diluted with water a bit or they cut right back to the bare plastic if you are a bit over zealous - guess how I found that out :oops:

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

Those mineral wagons - bees knees. The only thing that jumped out at me were the diagonal stripes, should be whiter on the rust than on the faded paint, when presumably somebody came along with the paint pot and brush and slapped it on the rust (otherwise the stripes would have gone the way of the grey paint).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Yes Nigel, well spotted.  I must have a think about that.  Either rub the powder off the stripes or distress them.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Making mistakes is a great way to learn I think Rob.  I do a lot of learning in this hobby.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I had another go at the minerals this morning.  I thought the black powder was maybe too thick so, I took some Qtips and enamel thinners and rubbed off the powder.  I then reapplied black, then umber powder mostly to the rust patches.  I also distressed the markings where the rust would have taken them away.

I think I'm a wee bit happier with them now.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.