Johns 7mm Coach Workbench

Posted
Rating:
I had the Rivarossi Royal Scot and a rake of coaches.  The best models on the subject I have ever seen but spoiled irreparably by the scale.  I didn't know Peco was involved.  I hope lessons have been learned. 

I don't think British 4mm scale will ever be right and 00 is with us to stay.  Another reason to switch to 0 gauge, at least the track gauge is right (well almost, 7FS gauge of 31.5mm scales to 4'6").

John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

One thing that struck me was the lack of auto-coupling gear. Is this supplied as something you have to add?

Underframe detail. They were pretty basic. Gas cylinder for the lights, vacuum cylinder, pipes and brake wires.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
I had the Rivarossi Royal Scot and a rake of coaches.  The best models on the subject I have ever seen but spoiled irreparably by the scale.  I didn't know Peco was involved.  I hope lessons have been learned. 

I don't think British 4mm scale will ever be right and 00 is with us to stay.  Another reason to switch to 0 gauge, at least the track gauge is right (well almost, 7FS gauge of 31.5mm scales to 4'6").

John
Peco had some weird and wonderful ideas back in the 70's, John, and especially when they commissioned me to build the master for a typical British station that Pola were to produce in HO !

Anyway, I built the damn thing, got well paid for it and that was that. No such station ever appeared on the market ! Crap master perhaps ?

And what would you like to know about Pecoscene, another product that I was asked to test, revealed it for what ir was - fire cement - again got well paid for it and a year later Peco had to take it off the market for, like fire cement, it crumbled and broke down after time if not treated the way I treat it and that's to colour it with Colron wood dye which no body seemed keen to do

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
Hi John,

One thing that struck me was the lack of auto-coupling gear. Is this supplied as something you have to add?

Underframe detail. They were pretty basic. Gas cylinder for the lights, vacuum cylinder, pipes and brake wires.

Nigel
Don't know about auto coupling gear Nigel.  There's nothing in the box.  In the prototype autocouplers have to be able to connect the steam and vac hoses automatically, as well as the coupling.  Russel doesn't mention in the book I got from you apart from the slip coupling.  The book does have some good detail drawings so I might be able to infer the missing detail from that.  Another job on the to do list.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:

John
Peco had some weird and wonderful ideas back in the 70's, John, and especially when they commissioned me to build the master for a typical British station that Pola were to produce in HO !

Anyway, I built the damn thing, got well paid for it and that was that. No such station ever appeared on the market ! Crap master perhaps ?

And what would you like to know about Pecoscene, another product that I was asked to test, revealed it for what ir was - fire cement - again got well paid for it and a year later Peco had to take it off the market for, like fire cement, it crumbled and broke down after time if not treated the way I treat it and that's to colour it with Colron wood dye which no body seemed keen to do

Allan.

I guess it's one thing to makea one off model and quite another to productionise it.  :hmm Glad you got paid for your efforts but it would be satisfying to see the results of ones work in the shops.

John

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I got a bit more progress made recently - on the full brake BG:

Trusses done:

Thanks to Rob for his great photos which were a great help.

Transverse trusses were kind of tricky and built mostly in situ.

I made a jig for the outer trusses:

Not foolproof so care must be taken to get everything symmetrical.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I wanted to do a trial fit of all the main components:

We're getting there I think.  The next main job is to detail the underframe.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Another milestone of sorts in my coach build - I've done the brake gear on the full brake.

An important distinction for full brakes and half brakes is that there is a manual brake application system.  I tried to represent that here. 

The guard actuator is a screw crank which pulls on the rod that can be seen on the lower picture to the right at the middle of the coach.  This is attached to double cranks which pull on the rods that actuate the bogie brakes.

This was quite a job with lots of "aaaarghhhs!" and do overs, but I think I got it.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
If I were building that coach, John, I'd be happy just to settle for a wheel on each corner let alone all that amazing running gear .

Less 'aaaarghhhs' you see !

Bril' workmanship as usual.

Allan

Edited to spell aaaarghhhs right.

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
Well at least with buildings there are no wheels or brakes to bother with.   :mutley

There's a correct spelling for "aaaarghhhs!"?   :shock: Who knew?

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Well at least with buildings there are no wheels or brakes to bother with.   :mutley

There's a correct spelling for "aaaarghhhs!"?   :shock: Who knew?

John

Yes. F&$K.

Posted
Rating:
So is that a noun, verb or term of endearment?   :oops:

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
So is that a noun, verb or term of endearment?   :oops:

John
 Not sure, John, but by hitting any finger with a big hammer somehow gives the word a more positive meaning - noun, verb or otherwise..

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Ah, I get it now, synonym of "aaaarrghhh!".

John

John

Posted
Rating:
More progress, I've done the vacuum pipes along the solebar, steam pipes and dynamo:

I used copper wire to connect the vacuum cylinders to the pipe.

Notice the steam pipe has a low point for the drip trap.

The dynamo has a faux belt from scrap brass.

A lot of fettling was need to clear fouls with the bogies.

Battery boxes next I think.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I got the battery box and control box glued on this morning:

I think this completes the underframe detailing.

I will turn my attention to the coach body now.  There are a few bits and bobs to see to.

I can see the light now.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
My coach is really starting to look the parts.  Trial fit:

Underneath:

I sprayed it with grey primer last night and put the black (Testors spray flat black) on this morning.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Looking good John,

The Kirk dome ended roofs are an interesting challenge to get to fit nicely.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Indeed Rob.  I'll have to carefully shape some plastic strip to fill the gaps.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I managed to get a bit more done over the last couple of days:

End details made from plastic scraps and a bit of copper wire.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.