Johns 7mm Coach Workbench

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Like   ♥   :cool:
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I've been working steadily away at the CCT.  I've been taking my time and progressing other projects.

Today I got it finished:

Transfers are HMRS Pressfix and, in hindsight, I wish I'd used Cambridge Custom.  The lining is OK but not perfectly straight.  The lettering has no wiggle room so you need to position it just right before wetting.

In the top picture I graunched the paint when I cut the line for the lettering.  My patch repaint doesn't match the rest which is weird because I used the same paint.

Overall a good kit but loses marks for skimpy instructions and lack of parts for underframe detail.

The flaws will be hidden once the van is weathered.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Looks great, seems a shame to weather it  :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
I can't tell where the flaws are John! It looks grand to me.
Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys.  I do like to have vehicles that look as though they have seen some service and are not straight out of the showroom.

If you can't tell where the flaws are Marty, I'm not telling.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I got sound installed in my AC Railbus - finally!  There were a host of problems but I managed to work through them.  At the end I discovered that the light polarity was reversed.  I did get it working properly by swapping wires over and trial and error.

This has been fraught and emotionally exhausting.  Thanks to Paul Chetter who documents his installation (00 and 0) in Hornby Magazine from Oct 2015.

The 4 headlights are still pretty bright despite me reducing their intensity (CV60 for Zimo).  I changed the destination boards to Richmond and Dalton (on Tees).  This was a LNER branch line.  My pretext is that this railbus has been brought over for trials.  Railbusses were actually trialled on some ER branches but not considered a success.

I reduced the brightness of the destination lighting by adding a strip of masking tape in front of the LED.  The top light is not controllable so I painted the plastic reflector white.

The driver is a Montys Model.

There are three passengers that can just be made out.  There's also a guard from Montys Models.

Drat!  Just noticed that the body isn't seated.  Everything on this model is extremely tight.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
My friend came by yesterday with some loot:

GWR Autocoach, Lot 1126 and built in 1906.  Numbers 36 - 41.

Cracking model this.  The bogies are wired but I haven't determined if there are actually lights inside, so I'll be reporting on that.  There are three versions.  This one is the vanilla version.  There's a DCC version (probably to control lights so I will have to look into putting a decoder in) and one with DCC sound (bells, whistles, doors slamming, conversation between guard and driver etc.).

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
That be a real stunner, John. Is it Dapol ?

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Yep, same as yours, just a different colour and not as pretty.

Doing further eading, there is yet another version that is DCC ready with lightbar, so looks like I will be hunting for bits to make that happen.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
I have been hearing good things about them but sadly like a good many RTR models being released the manufacturers seem to think that there were only railways in one corner of our great country......

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Well only the one's that worked, Rob !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
My continuing grumble about too much GWR being released. :brickwall :It's a no no There are Dapol Mk1 coaches on the horizon, wonder how the Daerstaedt compare.

Heljan are doing a bunch of Gresleys for Hattons. :Happy

I'd love to see a LMS pull push set.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
Well only the one's that worked, Rob !

Allan
Sorry Alan, 

I must be a bit slow today because that one went straight over the top.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Well, the Swindon chaps seemed to get things right most always all the time  :thumbs

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

Really nice model. 1907 I think. As built they apparently had windows either end. Bit strange, wonder if JR got it wrong. The GWR came up with some interesting trailer designs, so why not.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Superb model I think Nigel.  Your date is about right, and still in service (just) in the 60s, although rendered obsolete by DMUs I reckon..  I can't find a withdrawal date.

I note that the underneath isn't as detailed as I would like.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
When manufacturing RTR locos and rolling stock going overboard with GWR products was always going to be a safe bet as there's more GWR  modellers out there than anything else. Why I chose the Great Western myself was because it was the only company that I knew existed from my schooldays in the Cotswolds - in fact, I thought EVERYTHING was Great Western and, dare I say, so it should be !

Merry Christmas everyone.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Well, I agree that RTR models are predominantly GWR because so many model it.  However there should be an effort to suit those who model other railways - and, to be fair, there is.

Happy Christmas to all.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
 But they don't all get it right, John.

Peco for example commissioned Rivarossi to built, I think, a Royal Scot,  which they did but in HO. 

Naturally it was a disaster but Mr Pritchard at the time told me that they would only build it in HO to which he agreed - and that was from the man who invented flexible track and went on to make a fortune !

Anyway, I'm not sure whether or not Peco still sell it but if they do, why on earth would anyone want to buy it !

Allan
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.